Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In car GPS.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L

In car GPS.

Hi All,
    I'm looking into, getting an in Car GPS, but having trouble finding a good comparison, there dosn't seem to be a clean leader in the market!

if you know of a good site, that shows whats the best and why could ya please post a link. Also if you have a GPS, or tried a few, could you please let me know your recommendations.

Thanks All.
    See my Car here
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L VTEC.
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Banned Array
    Car:
    Suabaru > Honda
    seems that most people on here from what i've read have reccomended mr. tomtom

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    TomTom One XL FTW!!!!

There's only like 4 GPS units on the market which have the latest maps (Version 14). Those units are the TomTom One XL, Pioneer Avic2 and the 2 new Garmin units (250 and something else, Garmin names their maps differently but they've got 2 units which have the latest mapping). Navman are offereing free map upgrade (average cost is about $150) for any Navman units purchased in the Month of August, not sure if this is for everyplace that sells Navman's or just JB Hifi.

PC World gave the OneXL a 4.5/5 rating in their review. I've got the Tomtom One-A and it's a fantastic little unit. User interface is very intuitive so it's extremely simple to use. Loading points of interest (speed cameras etc) from PC to GPS only takes a couple of minutes. The One-XL has a faster processor speed and the larger screen (which is handy).

The Pioneer is somewhat overpriced for what it offers, it does look a lot sexier than most of the other units out there but the interface isnt quite as simple as the TomTom's. The new entry garmin unit is very basic, it's also little laggy.

Member Array
    Car:
    MX83 cressida
    Agreed, the pioneer is VERY overpriced for what it does, they only really bought one out because they dropped their contract to distribute TomTom in Aus!!

It is kinda down to what you wanna spend...

Navman and TomTom have two of the best reputations i would say and Autobarn would sell more of them than anything else.

As far as build quality and hardware/software, just steer clear of the no namers from "stupid cheap auto" and the $299 specials at JB or simalar, these are often either inferior or outdated products.

If you can still get ur hands on a "street wize" branded one from Autobarn, then you have got one of the best value for money ones out there, although it seems generic, they are manufactured by a the same company which makes Destinators (more well known in the US), although accessories are lacking for this one compared with TomTom/Navman.

S2Krazy Array
    ^^^^

hahaha at Autobahn.

I walked into an Autobahn 3 months ago. Navman F20 priced at $699. Supercheap - $499, and thats without the 25% I get on top again. I laughed at the guy. They too sold the DigiTalk 3000 for similiar mark up price... Again I larfed at the guy and walked out.

Quite often you will find the "no namers from "stupid cheap auto"" actually do more functions than the Tom Tom One / Go 710 / G0 910 / Navman F20 / N40i / ICN 72o.
    --------------------------------------
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr3aKi3 View Post
    TomTom One XL FTW!!!!

There's only like 4 GPS units on the market which have the latest maps (Version 14). Those units are the TomTom One XL, Pioneer Avic2 and the 2 new Garmin units (250 and something else, Garmin names their maps differently but they've got 2 units which have the latest mapping). Navman are offereing free map upgrade (average cost is about $150) for any Navman units purchased in the Month of August, not sure if this is for everyplace that sells Navman's or just JB Hifi.

PC World gave the OneXL a 4.5/5 rating in their review. I've got the Tomtom One-A and it's a fantastic little unit. User interface is very intuitive so it's extremely simple to use. Loading points of interest (speed cameras etc) from PC to GPS only takes a couple of minutes. The One-XL has a faster processor speed and the larger screen (which is handy).

The Pioneer is somewhat overpriced for what it offers, it does look a lot sexier than most of the other units out there but the interface isnt quite as simple as the TomTom's. The new entry garmin unit is very basic, it's also little laggy.
    I picked up a TomTom One XL myself for $499 at Dicksmith Powerhouse. Compared to my friend's ones; Pioneer Avic-S2, Hitachi, Garmin...it is so much better! Don't get the TomTom Go 910, too many problems and too chunky!

Member Array
    Car:
    RD7
    f20 was sold at my work for $388.. pos i'd say..

go for the tomtom's..
    tomtom one or tomtom one xl.. very easy to use..

only real difference between the tomtom one and the xl is that the xl come with 2007 maps, compared to tomtom one which have the 2006 maps.. and screen size of course..

got the tomtom one for sale at work at the moment.. 399, including a free map update worth 179.. very good value
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeR
    Ozhonda mods don't sleep, they wait.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Dray_Templar View Post
    Hi All,
    I'm looking into, getting an in Car GPS, but having trouble finding a good comparison, there dosn't seem to be a clean leader in the market!

if you know of a good site, that shows whats the best and why could ya please post a link. Also if you have a GPS, or tried a few, could you please let me know your recommendations.

Thanks All.
    By in car you mean fixed or portable?

Fixed, you cant beat the Eclipse AVN, portable we'd recommend Garmin, forget navman (too many customer complaints), no dealings with tomtom so no comment there.
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

I can recommend a couple to you, I sell the fuggin things every day!

Either go the Garmin Nuvi 660 or the TomTom ONE XL.

IMHO, the TomTom is a much better unit, because it is very easy to use, with a big screen and is very reliable. It DOES have bluetooth connectivity, but this is only to connect for data to update traffic etc, not handsfree calls. It doesnt have a built in HDD like the GO910, but to be honest, nobody used it anyway.

Now, the Nuvi 660 has a lot more features, such as bluetooth handsfree (as well as a trial of their safety software too if memory serves me correctly) and is also pretty easy to use. But I just find the TomTom to be a superior unit. It is also a lot cheaper too, going for around $499, wheras the Nuvi 660 is going for around $999.
    ...... and that's all I have to say about that.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    ive got a hp ipac with tomtom. it lags by about 20 metres or so and f***s me up sometimes. then when im turn it on after having parked the car it doesn't know which way im facing but thats understandable. also sometimes tells me to turn at no right turns and do illegal u turns haha. sometimes it gets confused and reckons i exited the freeway or am still on the freeway, but only for a few seconds at the most.

Yeah the GPS receiver in the ipaqs isnt that great. Nor is its processor speed. Still, a fantastic unit, especially for the price :-)
    ...... and that's all I have to say about that.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    yeh bit laggy but its good for work. coz i use it to download and upload job info too.