Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux 03

Euro stock speaker swapout

Has anyone replaced their stock speakers and kept the same head unit?, I've searched these threads but all I've come across are full HU, amp and speaker replacements.
    The driver side speaker on my Euro lux 2003 has crapped out ( the plastic holding the centre speaker magnet has cracked and broken...common problem? ) so I am looking for a replacement or the same...anyone has one for sale?. I tried installing a spare speaker I had from a previous car but found it was too deep and think it will foul against the window.

Any ideas on what front door speakers I could replace with?....prefer direct replacement and as little mods if possible.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    The problem is that the stock honda speakers come in a fixed speaker mount which is not standard in size.

So you need to get a 5.25" or 6" speaker that doesnt have a large frame and long magnet (so it doesnt hit the window). And even then, you need to seal the surrounding holes and add some kind of speaker mount so the speakers sound ok. A custom Wood mount would be the best. You would also need to add some sound deadener in the door panels.

If you install high RMS speakers (100RMS+ for example), it wont sound good running off the stock head unit - you will get almost no bass and it will sound trebley, since these speakers need to have decent power going into them to output decent sound.

So what you would need to either:

1) buy some low RMS speakers (say 20RMS to 40RMS) that have a small frame and magnet.

2) buy some high RMS speakers and install an amplifier

3) buy some stock honda speaker replacements from a honda dealer

The stock speakers are tuned surprisingly well to the stock honda deck despite the low wattage, so that may be your best bet. Installing aftermarket speakers straight off a stock deck and have them sound good is a tough job.

I believe Boston Acoustics sell "OEM replacement" speakers that are designed to sound good running off a stock deck, but their site isnt working at the moment so I cant give u a link.
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury
    If you were to DIY then it can get a bit messy if its your first time doing a door spacer. It's as simple as measuring the depth of the factory speaker (16mm from memory) getting some 16mm MDF, tracing the shape of the honda original speaker/bracket, cutting out that shape, and cutting a hole within to fit a 6" speaker and drilling necessary holes to screw it all into place.

Using the above process i've managed to fit 6.5" kicker ex series and boston rally series speakers in with no problem at all.

The tricky part of doing this DIY is that you have to be careful when fixing this all into place as the speaker has to match up with the speaker fit on the door moulding as this acts as a baffle board.

Wish i had pictures to show this better but basically if your adventurous you could get a rewarding improvement in your sound quality utilizing a 6/6.5" speaker rather than settling for maybe a 5". If you dont really have the time to be so adventurous and not to woried about sound (but the rattle of the old speaker annoys you) then i'd say look into buying a stock speaker from honda and replacing it

OR hopefully other members on here know of any speaker manufacturers that build a perfect fit speaker for the accord euro, like Eurodude mentioned above, Boston may make one (but id imagine itd be pricey but then again amazing quality)

Hope this helped! Keep us updated with your findings on prices!

PM tony, maybe he will sell you his stock speaker.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    This might fit ok, and its only 50wRMS so it may sound ok running of the Honda Deck.
    http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?comp_id=60

btw avoid the overpriced Sony/Pioneer/Boss/cheapbrand stuff you find at strathfield car radios, they will sound much worse than the original speaker

If you want good quality audio, get an american or Italian brand, or a dedicated japanese brand such as Kenwood.
    JL Audio and Boston Acoustics are two good brands.

Contact http://www.fhrxstudios.com/ , they should recommend something decent.
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
    This might fit ok, and its only 50wRMS so it may sound ok running of the Honda Deck.
    http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?comp_id=60

btw avoid the overpriced Sony/Pioneer/Boss/cheapbrand stuff you find at strathfield car radios, they will sound much worse than the original speaker

If you want good quality audio, get an american or Italian brand, or a dedicated japanese brand such as Kenwood.
    JL Audio and Boston Acoustics are two good brands.

Contact http://www.fhrxstudios.com/ , they should recommend something decent.
    I've got 6''Boston Rallye splits in the front and 6x9 Alpine DD Drives in the rear but i've got an Alpine 4ch 50WRMS/channel driving them.Sounds great.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux 03
    thanks for your helpful and timely replies as I was dead keen on visiting the local audio stores this weekend and probably would have have picked up the wrong wattage speaker !......as I dont have the funds to do a full replacement in the near future I will go for the stock speaker replacement option . I rang a Honda dealer who quoted me $139 each speaker which seems heaps for a low wattage speaker....but thats Honda for you!....will wait for a couple of weeks to see if any members has one to sell.
    ...another question....if an after market HU is installed, do the steering wheel audio controls still work?....and is there space for an amp to fit hidden from view and not take up valuable storage space?

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    $139 That is outrageous, considering they are just cheap $10 pioneers with tiny magnets lolz

You will lose the steering wheel buttons if you get an aftermarket HU. A *small* Amp can fit under the front passenger seat at the rear.
    Last edited by EuroDude; 16-08-2007 at 11:27 PM.
    .© ♪

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2007 Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by maskitoe View Post
    I rang a Honda dealer who quoted me $139 each speaker which seems heaps for a low wattage speaker....but thats Honda for you!....
    Sounds like pretty much any OEM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
    If you install high RMS speakers (100RMS+ for example), it wont sound good running off the stock head unit - you will get almost no bass and it will sound trebley, since these speakers need to have decent power going into them to output decent sound.
    not true, high RMS is only to do with the power handling of the speaker, yes higher powered speakers have a larger magnet (which require more power to run at full potential) but theyre usually more efficient. what you should really look for are highly sensitive speakers. a speaker 100WRMS speaker with a sensitivity of 93db will sound a shit load better, clearer, and louder, than a 30WRMS 87db speaker. the sensitivty is normally measered at 1m distance with 1W of power going into the speaker. therefore, the better the sensitivity, the better the speaker. note: an increase of 3db, is actually double in volume!

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by maskitoe View Post
    thanks for your helpful and timely replies as I was dead keen on visiting the local audio stores this weekend and probably would have have picked up the wrong wattage speaker !......as I dont have the funds to do a full replacement in the near future I will go for the stock speaker replacement option . I rang a Honda dealer who quoted me $139 each speaker which seems heaps for a low wattage speaker....but thats Honda for you!....will wait for a couple of weeks to see if any members has one to sell.
    ...another question....if an after market HU is installed, do the steering wheel audio controls still work?....and is there space for an amp to fit hidden from view and not take up valuable storage space?
    Don't install an aftermarket HU,just use LOCs and a 4 ch.amp,change your speakers.then you don't lose the steering wheel audio controls.BTW my amps are under the rear parcel shelf in an enclosure covered in the same fabric as the boot lining,it hangs approx.70mm below the top of the boot.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro Lux 03
    Quote Originally Posted by tony1234 View Post
    Don't install an aftermarket HU,just use LOCs and a 4 ch.amp,change your speakers.then you don't lose the steering wheel audio controls.BTW my amps are under the rear parcel shelf in an enclosure covered in the same fabric as the boot lining,it hangs approx.70mm below the top of the boot.
    ...excuse my ignorance.... but what are LOC's ?.....I like your suggestion of retaining my HU as this aslo keeps the cost down and am starting to think I can actually DIY if I could work out the wiring and pick up any necessary HU to LOC to amp loom adaptors. Any details on this ?
    I checked out the current supercheap catalogue that arrived home as junk mail today and found a Sony 4 x 55 watt channel amp for $200 and a pair of 4 way 6" speakers for $84. Not sure if this set would be ideal for the Euro lux 03 but at least it gives me some idea of pricing as my budget will stretch to around $500. ...I'm in my late 30's... so looking for quality sound not grunt.

Thanks Euro03ACT ....will take your advise on db sensitivity when I check out the speakers.