Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    hmmm, well if you want it plumbed back.... get a bov with a circular strait flat outlet... (not a bell mouth or trumpet). This way you can get a hose made up (similar to a radiator hose) to go from the outlet of the bov back to a inlet flanges on your intake pipe between your air filter and turbo.

here is my ghetto diagram

Light up with Lyle - Electrical / Communications / Instrumentation

Member Array
    Car:
    1986 AH Honda Civic Hatch
    paint FTW, good explanation though.

Run no blow off valve for the best sound and completely legal!
    how does it have the best sound??? and running a plumb back BOV is completely legal. and having one does prevent damage to the turbo, because every time u take ur foot off the gass, the air gets forced back onto the compressor wheels, which creates more stress, and some lag, as the air is forcing against the spin of the compressor wheels.

so BOV does have some fuctionality, instead of just sounding good.
    1986 Blue Honda Civic Hatchback. MODS: Dual 3 inch cannons, fading paintwork
    1982 Toyota Celica MODS:no interior, seized motor FUTURE MODS: T28 turbo, bigport 4AGE with forged internals

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Mole View Post
    paint FTW, good explanation though.

how does it have the best sound??? and running a plumb back BOV is completely legal. and having one does prevent damage to the turbo, because every time u take ur foot off the gass, the air gets forced back onto the compressor wheels, which creates more stress, and some lag, as the air is forcing against the spin of the compressor wheels.

so BOV does have some fuctionality, instead of just sounding good.
    IMO it's the best sound. I like the chattery sound. And that's not a proof of damage, that's called a theory. Here's another one. Bearings and compressor blades are quite strong. Intake charge air might have a mass of let's say, 100grams. Clearly you are completely correct in saying that there will be "more stress and some lag", but i'm looking for some evidence which says that this stress is more than completely negligible.

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    Run no blow off valve for the best sound and completely legal! Bring on the evidence of no blow off valve causing turbo damage...

mmm, running no bov what so ever, physically doesnt sound too bad but seriously does have long term repircussions. Dont really need to show evidence, just go ask any manufacture why then run a bov type device standard? because they are made to last. i mean i dont think most if not all leading car manufactures run a bov just for the hell of it? or because it sounds good ahah. feel free to rebut

I believe that manufacturers run a blow off valve (plumbed back) to avoid noise pollution, and in mass air flow systems, avoid the rich backfire on gearchange/throttle release.

If there was any actual physical evidence derived from a real test, every blow off valve manufacturer on the planet would be pimping it till their last breath. Though, i'll admit, I don't keep up to date, so there very well could be a test floating around somewhere, which is why I asked for 'evidence'.

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by string View Post
    IMO it's the best sound. I like the chattery sound. And that's not a proof of damage, that's called a theory. Here's another one. Bearings and compressor blades are quite strong. Intake charge air might have a mass of let's say, 100grams. Clearly you are completely correct in saying that there will be "more stress and some lag", but i'm looking for some evidence which says that this stress is more than completely negligible.
    yeah thats cool on the sound, everyone has there own opinion on it.

can't really provide any evidence on damage, i can only base this on info i have read, and like sexc86 said, that manufacturors(sp?) fit these on stock cars. but in theory, it does seem completely logical that not having a BOV will cause more damage than having one fitted
    1982 Toyota Celica MODS:no interior, seized motor FUTURE MODS: T28 turbo, bigport 4AGE with forged internals

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    OK guys I got the theory down!!

Its very easy to understand but what make/model is eazy to make legal buy running a hose back through the lop..

Just like my PC water kit
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    u want a plumb back BOV, try GFB or turbosmart, there pretty good brands

Member Array
    Car:
    ED/EG5/EP3/JAZZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Mole View Post
    u want a plumb back BOV, try GFB or turbosmart, there pretty good brands
    Hows this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Go-Fast-Bits-...QQcmdZViewItem

This one looks like what I need
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....tchlink:top:au
    Last edited by Lukezen27; 17-08-2007 at 06:38 PM.
    161.4KW ATW Tuned By TODA
    EG5 JDM B16A SiR-II TURBO

13.28@106.6mph 2.117 60ft On RE001

Member Array
    Car:
    i'd go the second one, as the first one looks like an atmospheric one.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexc86 View Post
    mmm, running no bov what so ever, physically doesnt sound too bad but seriously does have long term repircussions. Dont really need to show evidence, just go ask any manufacture why then run a bov type device standard? because they are made to last. i mean i dont think most if not all leading car manufactures run a bov just for the hell of it? or because it sounds good ahah. feel free to rebut

Dont get a BOV. If BOV are so good. Why dont race cars use them??

Ever watch the Bathurst 1000 back in the early 90's?
    Those sierras ran 40 psi racing and 60 for quilifying. Dont hear them going PSSSSHT when they shift
    Ctrl + W

Member Array
    Car:
    1985 ford laser
    Quote Originally Posted by aimre View Post
    Dont get a BOV. If BOV are so good. Why dont race cars use them??

Ever watch the Bathurst 1000 back in the early 90's?
    Those sierras ran 40 psi racing and 60 for quilifying. Dont hear them going PSSSSHT when they shift

I thought they would be setup with flat shift, so their throttle bodys would be alwayes open (even gear changes, ie dont have to remove foot from gas peddal) therefor they would never loose boost pressure inbetween gears nor need a way to vent it?... please correct me if i am wrong