Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    JDM K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
    The tuner won't be able to make the car decide where the helmholtz frequency is strongest at. What I mean by tuned manifolds is, the length and size of the runner is "tuned" to the engine at a given rpm, once that rpm is reached, the air inside the intake runners (or exhaust) are making pulses, too fast to be noticed or heard by our ear, when the air flowing towards the valve (once open) and negative pressure in the cylinder (down stroke intake) the air is "rammed" in creating a super charged like effect.

On some intakes it has been seen to see up to 10psi on intake boost. But you need alot of money to achieve that lol

I'm that tr53xx dude bdw.
    YEAH, THAT'S WHAT I MEAN BY UP TO THE TUNER, ON DEVELOPING THE IM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CiviC
    blk_shadow, I've read that the crank bolts into the D16 blocks with very little problem, but I wasn't aware of the oil supply issues. Is it definitely not possible to use the oil pan from the D16 block because of the oil pump and pick up design?

I had a feeling the block would need a bit of massaging with the D17 internals running in it.

Were these guys running wild port and polish jobs? For example, very smoothed combustion chambers, oversized valves, mirror-like port finishes, opened up ports like a bull with its nostrils flared? And were these engines drinking avgas?

What sort of fuel injectors are being run on these engines? Design and volume output wise.

The build that you've been describing fills me with confidence on the strength of the D-series parts if nothing else.

NerV, thanks for the advice about the head studs. I'm a stickler for detail so I'd really be kicking myself if I buggered something like that up.

TR53XX (Chr1s), the camshaft I was looking at has a duration of 204 degrees on the primary and secondary intake lobes and 235 degrees on the mid (vtec) lobe and 223 degrees on the exhaust lobe, all at .050" lift of course. Compared to stock, according to the Crower website, which has a 218 degree on the intake lobe (mid lobe, presumably) and 204 degree on the exhaust lobe. I'm not sure exactly where the Crower camshaft makes its power and it would depend on so many other factors, but at a guess I'd say that it would be promoting power closer to 7000rpm since the stock D16Y8 makes peak power at around 6600rpm. In the scheme of things are these durations what you would call 'medium durations'?

Also, the gross lift on the Crower camshaft is .332" on primary and secondary intake lobe and .432" on mid (vtec) lobe. Exhaust is .436". The gross lift was calculated using a rocker ratio of 1.6 on intake and 1.8 on exhaust. Are these pretty accurate estimates of the rocker ratios in the D-series? Compared to stock these figures are .035" higher on mid intake lobe and .069" higher on exhaust.

I was hoping to gain a bit of the low to mid range back with the increased compression ratio. As for air flow, I was hoping that I will be able to find a guy who can do a valve job that will promote really good low lift flow. From my research, by ensuring there is excellent flow at low valve lift the engine (particularly NA) responds really well compared to aiming for max flow at max lift as the valves spend little time at their max lift.

As for intake manifold design, I'm aware of the helmholtz effect, however, I have to admit that I do not have the engineering background or computer simulation software to develop that sort of thing. Also, I'm unlikely to be sitting on one particular rpm to get an appreciable effect from such a highly tuned intake manifold. However, from the info I have high rpm power is favoured by an intake manifold with relatively short runners where as mid range torque is promoted by an intake manifold with longer runners. Is this correct?

I feel there are plenty of good quality 'off the shelf' products on the market to choose from, even for the aging D-series. It's just a matter of using the basic principles to find out what the strengths and weaknesses of each product design is and choosing a combination of parts to suit.

Thanks for the input guys.
    Project Civic777 - obsession for achievement

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    that cam is ok

you can design intake runners without complex computer software, it's called formula's and don't gimme that about no engineering experiance, im only 17 dude, if your willing to learn, you will

you are right about the runners yes, and when i mean tuned, it's not as if at 5500rpm for example you have max power then it drops off 20kw or something, it continues that power through a powerband, if you design it good, can be as long as 5,000rpm (many reflections acting in one area)

just don't design the car to make power down low because you will kick yourself in the head when your power starts to drop off severly at 6000rpm, i'd design it as peak power is made at 7k and drops off slowly until shift point 8k with a huge amount of midrange torque from 3.5k+

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CiviC
    OK, thanks Chr1s. You've been heaps of help. Have you had any personal experience with the Crower cams? Not only with how they make power, but also with their reliability and ease of fitment?

Also, how many intakes have you designed using formulas? I was under the impression that it either required a lot of experience or computer modelling because of all the slight variations in combinations that a particular engine may have.
    Project Civic777 - obsession for achievement

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    There is programs out there that you can use regarding how the engine will behave, although you need to know every aspect of the engine.

I've been through about 5 different intake setups using my formula's, experianced people agree with my results although NOTHING can ever beat dyno time and testing out different designs.

With camshafts, all the camshafts I have used are custom ground to my spec for my particular liking. How do you mean reliability of camshaft and fitment ?

Installing a camshaft is the same..reliability depends on material and if it is reground or not, billet camshafts are generally hardened using heat treatment and last longer than reground camshaft (which have a smaller base circle so steer clear, only use for testing)

BDW, the intake design STRONGLY works off the camshaft. so select the camshaft before you design your intake.

Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
    just don't design the car to make power down low because you will kick yourself in the head when your power starts to drop off severly at 6000rpm, i'd design it as peak power is made at 7k and drops off slowly until shift point 8k with a huge amount of midrange torque from 3.5k+
    Sounds alot like what the average B20VTEC would give you...

B20VTEC Build Thread

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Yea,

Look dude, honestly, I wouldnt bother with the D series unless boosting it.

It wasn't made to make alot of power N/A to begin with. Buy a decent motor from Day 1 and it will be fast when you're done.

tttrrruuusstt me...I went from making an OK motor go fast to selling it and doing a K20/24 frank. I learnt my lesson the expensive way.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    dude seriously u need 2 cams for power d16's have no potential, b16a's are great but its a died out thing to do now as every1s doin it... a h22 swap is wat im goin 4 dey are machines..

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Just do what ya wanna do man (which I'm sure your doing anyways ).Everyone has an opinion,that's cool.I'm sure your not looking for the fastest thing out there,just a custom fast car.D-series.org is a goldmine,I was a member there for a year.They hear the same argument too.Why bother building a d Go b series.It's because they want something different.Everyone goes b....
    Nothing compares to a build uniquely build N/A d.Sweeeeeet
    Just as long as you will be satisfied with the power output.Ofcoarse it will be fast but b's will still beat you....but not always.
    Have you joined d-series.org.The guys on there are very helpful if you have any questions and if you make a few posts etc they will be able to help you get cheap parts.It's a lot cheaper over there.
    I've got a d16y4.I love it.I don't want a real fast car,I'm satisfied with the power mine makes.
    Good luck with ya build,well done.
    Go the d WOOT WOOT!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    The B-series wont satisfy you.
    Fixed
    Ctrl + W

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    well if u look at it this way d-series are still good. what other single cam engine of the same capacity can match them? they basically make dohc power with one cam only. well if you compare them to engines of other make and similar capacity.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM K20A
    Quote Originally Posted by d15z1SUX View Post
    well if u look at it this way d-series are still good. what other single cam engine of the same capacity can match them? they basically make dohc power with one cam only. well if you compare them to engines of other make and similar capacity.
    that's what I'm talking about