Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic

B16a vs B18c2 HEAD

I know there has been thousands of threads all over the internet about this question but is there anyone out there with the truth.

1. Personally i reakon that some people think the B16a head is better flowing becase it has the same bolt patterns as the B18c5 and they are mistaking it to be the same head, "MAYBE"

Anyone that knows please post up
    = First Production Company To Produce 100HP Per Litre NA

Quote Originally Posted by B18cEG View Post
    I know there has been thousands of threads all over the internet about this question but is there anyone out there with the truth.

1. Personally i reakon that some people think the B16a head is better flowing becase it has the same bolt patterns as the B18c5 and they are mistaking it to be the same head, "MAYBE"

Anyone that knows please post up
    Is the concern that one head flows more air or makes more power.
    Regards Dyno Dave
    Buddyclub Australia
    Member of Master Of Vtec Group

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DynoDave View Post
    Is the concern that one head flows more air or makes more power.
    Regards Dyno Dave
    Well basicaly what im trying to get at is, which flows better, which will support more power in the form of higher comp and aggressive cams without being ported or what not.

Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    im pretty sure hte b18c head makes higher compression that the b16 head because of the quench (spl) pads that it has.

that is if you mate say a b16 with a ls bottom and a b18c with a ls bottom the one with the b18c head will have slightly higher compression.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    Thanks for that, but what about on a b18c block but cr aside, what about flow and the other questions i asked above?

Quote Originally Posted by B18cEG View Post
    Well basicaly what im trying to get at is, which flows better, which will support more power in the form of higher comp and aggressive cams without being ported or what not.

Thanks
    Well from the engines I have built and played around with I find in STD form the B18c2 head to make better power in most cases.
    Regards Dyno Dave
    Buddyclub Australia
    Member of Master Of Vtec Group

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by DynoDave View Post
    Well from the engines I have built and played around with I find in STD form the B18c2 head to make better power in most cases.
    Regards Dyno Dave
    Awsome, finally someone that understands what im asking, thanks bro

Member Array
    Car:
    95 Civic
    man i think the b16a head would have more comp because it is closed chamber. and especially if its on a 18c bottom end.

Member Array
    Car:
    '11 WRX
    man this has been covered heaps of times. Try searching you will find a thread that distinguishes the difference between the two with tests done on a flow bench
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...b16a+b18c+head
    Last edited by IZY-10; 04-09-2007 at 07:49 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic (EG8)
    I'm new around here so I will add my bit.

Type-r heads and B16A heads are all a PR3 head therefore the same casting for both.

B18C heads as mentioned will raise the compression on a b16A but a B16A head will lower the compression on a B18C

Main difference in the heads it the inlet ports.

As you can see here the inlet ports on the B18C intake sit higher (top head)and therefore the injectors fire into the inlet port which would help with the fuel atomising when using large injectors but when using a finer spraying smaller injector you would be far better off injecting the fuel at the back of the valve to get as much fuel in during the valve lift.

I have more comparison pics somewhere if you want them.

Basically the PR3 head is commonly used because there is a larger slecation of aftermarket intakes for them than the B18C and for cheap mods you can bolt Type-R parts onto them.