Member Array
    Car:
    CR2 Accord VTiL

Replacing Steering Wheel

i want to replace my steering wheel for another oem, maybe leather. Is this easy to do?
    mine is fairly worn, however i was afraid to touch it because of the airbag..
    any advice? thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    GENERALLY:
    - Lift off horn piece to get access inside
    - Unbolt the steering wheel
    - Bolt on a matching hub for car/steering wheel
    - Wire horn to wheel
    - bolt on steering wheel to hub.

Should take no more than 30mins
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    shooting star
    just a reminder,
    i have just called up today to check if my car is road worthy. because i dont have any air bags it is complied. if your car comes stock with air bags then you need to get another oem steering wheel that is approved. possibly the same make. just remember if you do the change! just care incase it explodes in ya face! =) lol have fun! good luck

minircc , here is the process of changing your steering wheel.

*I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS*

Depending on car....EK/EG etc

1.disconnect your NEGATIVE terminal off your
    BATTERY.
    This is for SAFETY. (airbag)

2. Access the sides of the steering wheel with a flathead screwdriver , remove 2 x plastic covers on teh sides.
    3.Use a TORX (six spoked piece) key or screwdriver to remove the single bolt either side of the wheel.
    4. slide out the airbag module carefuly , and disconnect the horn harness and airbag harness (yellow clip)
    5. You should have the central hub in view , it should be either a 14mm ( EK) or 19mm ( EG/DC) socket and use a large extension , and a ratchet/breaker bar to take it off.
    6. Slide off wheel carefully , keep it aimed straight. Install new wheel in the opposite fashion.

7. Once all hooked up , finally reconnect the negative terminal of the battery and all should be good

Member Array
    Car:
    CR2 Accord VTiL
    thanks for the quick response guys.

another question. i have heard some cars have a airbag light on permanently on dash.
    how do i avoid this, or don't i have to worry about it going on when replacing steering wheel?

i have a dc5 btw.. thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey RA1 sooo old
    jst 1 thing with removing the air-bag

the cd-manual for my car (02 civic) says to disconnect the negative terminal for atleast 3 mins b4 starting work.

i guess this is so any capacitors had time to discharge.