Thread: engine rattle

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum

engine rattle

i get an annoying engine rattling sound everytime it idles, someone suggested it might be a broken torque mount. would this be the problem. also iv noticed the speedo jumps up when i give it abit of gas sumtimes, could this be the result of the broken mount?

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    from experience on my cousins accord, when her engine mount was broken, its more of a slight thumping sound/sensation as opposed to a rattling sound. this only occurs when accelerating/decelerating though.

is this problem only on idle?

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    u can hear it most on idle cuz its quiet, but i think i still hear it when im in gear to. might be the cam gear or sumthing. i bought the car like 2months ago, and the old owner really drove it hard. so im not suprised if the mount is broken.

Member Array
    Car:
    Shitty Rail
    i dunno if ek1's have a tensioner on it...but my gf's corolla had the same symptoms and ended up to be a loose tensioner...

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    rev jumps up when u give gas? isnt that normal? try cleaning ur throttle body to start with ...

as for ur rattle... pop ur bonnet when the car is on idle... see if u notice any unusual moment of the engine itself... also try pull the throttle cable abit... see if there s more movment then it shoudl have... if it rocks a fair bit.. u might a a broken mount...

as |N| has stated check your bay if it rocks heaps then your mounts are gone.. this happened to my accord once

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    In my dads old accord when one of his engine mounts was gone, it thumped really noticeably didn't really rattle

keep ur hand brake up, put it in gear and rev it. if it thumps still sounds like ur engine mounts. but it could be ur keys cos i thought i had a rattle in my engine but it ended up being my keys.

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey RA1 sooo old
    Quote Originally Posted by xtat1k View Post
    keep ur hand brake up, put it in gear and rev it. if it thumps still sounds like ur engine mounts. but it could be ur keys cos i thought i had a rattle in my engine but it ended up being my keys.
    LoL did the same thing once, had me stumped for weeks

Quote Originally Posted by |N| View Post
    rev jumps up when u give gas? isnt that normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by simonnowis View Post
    also iv noticed the speedo jumps up when i give it abit of gas sumtimes
    rev's will jump when u give it gas, but if u r parked the Speedo should stay down.

I dont kno what would make the speedo jump, i kno i had problems when the speed sensor went in my old falcon (electronic dash - speedo,rev's,etc) but my speedo just went dead, didnt jump or nething.

maybe fault behind the dash, the slight voltage increase fom revvin the engine is doin it, i doubt it would be the altenator, regulator on the alternator, or coil.

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo2302 View Post
    LoL did the same thing once, had me stumped for weeks

rev's will jump when u give it gas, but if u r parked the Speedo should stay down.

I dont kno what would make the speedo jump, i kno i had problems when the speed sensor went in my old falcon (electronic dash - speedo,rev's,etc) but my speedo just went dead, didnt jump or nething.

maybe fault behind the dash, the slight voltage increase fom revvin the engine is doin it, i doubt it would be the altenator, regulator on the alternator, or coil.
    if thats the case.. take the VSS out from ur gear box... give it a clean .. put it back in .. .reset ur ecu.. then do a ecu code test...

see if u get any error code and go from there

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    thanks for all the input, ill give all ur suggestions a ago. the rev meter is fine, its the speedo. when im going like at 40, if i gas it. sumtimes it jumps up to lke 100km/h and back down.
    btw how do i do the ecu code test?

thanks

recovering.... Array
    Car:
    Nicole
    there is a plug behind the glove box. one with 3 pin and the other with 2 pin...
    u need to look at the one with 2pin
    get a clip or something... bypass it
    use the clip to make a U shape and connect the hole on the 2pin plug together then turn ur car key 2 clicks... where all the lights come on...

if sucess u should see the yellow engine light come on...
    if it flashes its givign u an error code.. if it stays on means there is no error...

there is a DIY thread on it somewhere here... do a search ,, i m too lazy to search