Thread: Modding

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2005 Honda Civic

Modding

Just on a general term.. Has putting your hard earned cash into the civic been worth it? I currently have D17 motor.. And nothings been done all standard as ive notive on many forums unless its a k20a its not worth doing. So im just wondering for those of you who have spent a bit on intakes etc.. has it been worth it ? Thanks for your responces.

Wondering because id rather know if i should put money into the car or just keep it as the daily drive for a year then upgrade to something i can tune..
    Last edited by 05CivicAUD; 16-09-2007 at 08:43 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Great question man
    It all depends on the person and how much power they will be satisfied with.I've got a d16y4 and done a heap of mods and I'm satisfied with the power I got and how the car handles and feels to drive.But the power I got is only 1/2 of what other guys have on here.
    Get my drift.It's not always about the fastest car.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK9
    Quote Originally Posted by 05CivicAUD View Post
    Just on a general term.. Has putting your hard earned cash into the civic been worth it? I currently have D17 motor.. And nothings been done all standard as ive notive on many forums unless its a k20a its not worth doing. So im just wondering for those of you who have spent a bit on intakes etc.. has it been worth it ? Thanks for your responces.

Wondering because id rather know if i should put money into the car or just keep it as the daily drive for a year then upgrade to something i can tune..
    I assume you are driving an ES/EU civic? Auto or manual?

K20a is a mighty engine, but it is certainly not everything.

If there are no mass options for your engine, just turbo it. Many people in the US turbo their D17 engine and net reasonable gains in power. If you intend to build up your engine, I would recommend crower, they've got some quality parts for the D series. When I used to have an ES, I changed to crower cams stage 2, valve springs and titanium retainers and was quite happy with the small gain in power, of course coupled with good headers, ECU (AEM) & a muffler. (Again for D series, I would go for DC sports ceramic 4-2-1) For lower block engine work, eagle or CP, they also have parts for D series.

The D series were built for economy, not performance. But if you want to build it up, it can be fearsome as well.

Go K if you want to skip all these engine work & if finances allow. K is good if you want a very well balanced engine from the factory, sometimes, no modifications is best especially in the case of the K20a.

Personally, I would turbo it if I ever had a D series again.
    Last edited by ennavoli; 16-09-2007 at 09:00 PM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    The fact that you have an 05 Civic, would make it a total sleeper if you did turbo your D series. No one would suspect an 05 Civic of being a fast car. Is it worth modding your car? That is up to you to decide. You will never get your money that you put into mods back when you decide to sell the car. What you get is the satisfaction and joy when you drive your "personalised" car.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2005 Honda Civic
    Thanks for your replys

At first i couldnt care less about the power.. my aim was to go all show and no go :lol: but now its just not cutting it

My aim would be for quick off the mark and low and mid power.. Thiers no where to really use top end power.

ennavoli: Manual.. Whats the difference between the EU and ES?

arron: I know its in the end up to me to decide.. kinda of the reason why i made this thread to find out more info to help me make my mind up wether mod it. To find out how experienced modifiers feel about it . And yep im aware any cash i put into any car i wont get back.

"ennavoli: Manual.. Whats the difference between the EU and ES?"

Lol i answered that when u asked what engine your car had in your prev post :P

ES = 88kw sohc non vtec
    EU = 96kw sohc vtec

As for mods, most of them are aesthetically pleasing, and makes you appreciate your car more. I would opt to go turbo'ing as it is difficult for us 7th gen civics especially withyours as an 05 to find a K20 (bear in mind it is illegal to fit an engine thats older than your car). So you'll need to rip one out of an Integra Type S >05.

Just go with the petty little mods that give you mental kw's if you really want to modify (catback system, air filter).

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2005 Honda Civic
    Hey Clem, sorry didnt realize you posted the EU model aswell =)

Im not interested in wasting money on mental kws haha

Id rather buy something with more power then go waste money on Intakes etc that are going to have no hp gains to speak of

Thanks for your reply

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    keep it as a daily eco car cos it aint worth tuning unless u go hardcore with this car turbo or k swap

I/H/E will prob give like 8kw max out of all 3 together, not worth doin unless its for sound

im starting my turbo build in a months time with the D17 engine and hopein to get decent hp gains.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2005 Honda Civic
    Whats I/H/E haha i keep seeing this posted but i dont understand what they stand for

Member Array
    Car:
    GD1, EK4R,
    intake / headers / exhaust
    its pretty much everything without opening up the exhaust.
    IJOEYI
    0o0 whats that... a b20 aye?

intake header exhaust, pretty much the mods that lets the car breathe easier by making the stock piping bigger and allowing more airflow through a high flow filter. Stock exhaust piping is like 1.75" and some people like to change theirs to 2".