Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 CRX

Noises in the dark...

hey i was wondering if any one could help, as i was cleaning my car last night i noticed that it was making a strange noise. (While the car was off) it comes from the back under neath the car and its comes up every 2 to 3 minutes like a phone vibrating.... really odd.. maybe something electrical...any thoughts????
    Once you go HONDA you never go back!

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    could it be that your handbrake wasn't up fully? causing the noise although it sounds more like a creaking noise than a phone vibrating if it was the handbrake that was causing the noise.

did you just come from a drive just before you started cleaning out your car? could also be from your exhuast.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 CRX
    I first thought it could be from my exhaust but i had stopped driving it for at least an hour and a half....could that still be the cause of it, it was abit of a drive bfore hand....maybe abit over an hour driving...?

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    yeah it could be, if the drive was a fairly long one the exhaust does not cool down fast at all. if you ever have opened up your bonnet and put your hands close to your extractor it is still warmish so the exhaust would be the same.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 CRX
    okk thanks for that i started to get a little worried

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    i don't kow if its possible but one night that you havent driven the car go into it and listen to see if there are any noises still..

also hop into your car at night and move around if you get noises doing that it might be as i stated above the handbrake which may not be fully up or needs adjustment.

i'm not 100% sure if the noise you are referring to is the exhaust noise or not but i think of anything esle.. unless there was a mozzy in the car that you could hear, which does sound similar to a phone vibrating hehe

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 CRX
    haha i thought it was the trucks driving by on the motor way near my house but i thought it sounded alittle to close lol till i stuck my head under the car and herd it.

I will have to give it a go, i think im leaning more towards the exhaust... thanks for your help

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    np anytime.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5 Integra
    My EG civic does this as well, Except I always thought it sounded like a ship out at sea blowing its steam horns except much quieter of course. It made the noise more after a good thrashing on the way home along with intermittent cracking an popping sounds I always put it down to the exhaust being cooled down by the cold night air or something.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 CRX
    a ship out at sea blowing its steam horns
    lolol ok so its nothing bad awesome

normally your exhaust will make a ticking sound when its cooling down.

It sounds like it could be your fuel tank venting the gasses once the car is off. (Evap system)

Either way its totally normal. Either that or your car is haunted.
    Last edited by JasonGilholme; 28-09-2007 at 11:48 AM.

The missus' EK does this sound too.... tis not the zorst.