Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: vti or no vti?

vti or no vti?

hey guys, i own a 1998 honda civic coupe, i was having doubts as to when the vti kicks in my car? i cant hear it .....sigh my exhast is way too loud! my previous owner installed methinks a 3.5 inch cannon, so yeah i cant hear anything? yeah are the 1996-98 models vti? a mechanic mate of mine who works for honda said my car is not vti? i got no clue...hahaha, i was under the impression all civic coupes from another thread says there all vti

DBG Krogoth Array
    Car:
    M35
    vti u mean the vtec?

first, u have to check ur engine code ie D16Yx where x tells u whether it has vtec (Y8) or not (Y4)...if urs is D16Y8 then u'd hear vtec on around 6600rpm and above (i think that's the stock activation point)...if it's a D16Y4, then u'll have to imagine having a vtec

the earlier civic coupes (EJ8) has 2 models/ranges (i think): GLi (D16Y4 SOHC Non-VTEC) and VTi (D16Y8 SOHC VTEC)...

pls feel free to correct me if i have wrote something wrong

what do u mean by 3.5 inch cannon? if u think it's too loud, then change the muffler to a smaller one...
    Team Yum Cha Daily

DBG - A New Revolution in Car Modding

Member Array
    Behind the wheel of my car, cruising the hills of adelaide
    Car:
    ED6 Civic
    i think you're referring to vtec. vtec is a noticeable sudden boost in performance. vti is valve timing with intelligence, which kinda adjusts the valve timing to match your throttle on the fly, and is smoother, hence you shouldnt notice vti as much as you would notice vtec.
    Current Performance Modifications to ED6:
    not telling, but it involves a semi-quad carb setup, and lots and lots of compression.

sohc-vtec is hopeless and almost unnoticeable compared to DOHC VTEC.

Just look in your books and see what engine code you have.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by SeverAMV View Post
    i think you're referring to vtec. vtec is a noticeable sudden boost in performance. vti is valve timing with intelligence, which kinda adjusts the valve timing to match your throttle on the fly, and is smoother, hence you shouldnt notice vti as much as you would notice vtec.
    No, vti doesn't mean valve timing with intelligence. It just means "VTEC fuel injected".

If he has a Y8, it's an SOHC VTEC, so he won't hear the difference. I think the crossover point is also around 3000-4000rpm.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Nah DOHC VTEC noticable performance gain, you can actually feel and hear the crossover, SOHC VTEC is baby vtec, all whine and little in gain, hear the noise but not the feel If its anything like my D16Y1, you'll hear it "crossover" at around what Aaron said @ 4K.

The only Coupes available in 98 were the VTis so you "should" have Baby VTEC at the least otherwise you got smacked lol
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

At the end of the day, VTEC is overrated. esp on a sohc engine. so to get the most, just slap on the usual I/H/E combo, coilovers, lighteight wheels and you'll be happy for a while.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    SOHC VTEC = great fuel consumption!
    DOHC VTEC = what fuel consumptioBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6ish
    Quote Originally Posted by SeverAMV View Post
    i think you're referring to vtec. vtec is a noticeable sudden boost in performance.
    Hahahaha, funniest thing i've heard all day.
    Ctrl + W

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Eurolux SatNav
    Quote Originally Posted by SiReal View Post
    sohc-vtec is hopeless and almost unnoticeable compared to DOHC VTEC.

Just look in your books and see what engine code you have.
    MDX is SOHC -VTEC.... but still has healthy 191kw (or 195KW with twinpipe muffler)
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin' - EuroAccord13, Mugen88, Adammet04, jamchen, krogoth, yourfather, Sydsyd, Atjo, SiReal, Xplodin

Quote Originally Posted by aimre View Post
    +1 lol...

Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by aimre View Post
    I dont know why u did just quote his whole post. Its laughable to say the least...

"Intelligence" "adjusts value timing to your throttle position"

Complete genious you are.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    SOHC VTEC = great fuel consumption!
    DOHC VTEC = what fuel consumptioBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
    You like, 12yrs old right? How does increasing duration and valve lift in any way help fuel consumption??? SOHC vtec has a secondary loab profile on the intake cam. Its a pretty simple concept actuallyYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.