Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nEUROtic

Problem is, unless ur in exactly the right gear at the right revs, its useless. They have the evo and a 1.6L fiat steelo estate neck a neck, both in fifth cruising. They both then stomp on it. In 1.7 miles, the evo couldn't catch the fiat. Also, it does 6.4km/L (about 15L / 100km) and has to be serviced every 7000km.
    That's a ****ing load of crap that comparison (excuse the language). The same theory (put it in a high gear and step on the gass) also applies to Honda DOHC VTEC engines because you need to be in the right gear to be in the power band and on most Honda engines, that peak power band is only 2,000 or so RPM
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

NA is the way to go IMO.

Turbo is great if you're into the whole quarter mile thing and thats it. In the real world, worked NA cars tend to be faster than an aftermarket turbo setup point to point. Think about what most people do, fit the biggest turbo possible on a custom header, front mount, BOV, upgraded injectors and chipped ecu. Thats it. This gives you massive boost and a big shove in the back but only after massive turbo lag esp on a small capacity engine.

When threading your car through a nice stretch of road, an NA car can be an absolute orgasm on wheels. With a turbo car (especially a big turbo that spools up fast) it can be downright scary. Try coming on boost mid corner and see how easy a car is to handle.. I tell ya, your pants will be several shades browner after that. Also for overtaking, catch a turbo car cruising along in 5th or whaterver and its like a sitting duck, not no with an NA car, it'll pull from almost anywhere..
    "He who would travel happily must travel light"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    I'm not a downright NA person nor am I a FI person but I like to see the good and bad of both sides!

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva_Blue
    With a turbo car (especially a big turbo that spools up fast) it can be downright scary. Try coming on boost mid corner and see how easy a car is to handle.. I tell ya, your pants will be several shades browner after that.
    That's why there is something called 'tuning'. And let's face it, big turbo's are generally used on drag cars not set up for winding roads!

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva_Blue
    Also for overtaking, catch a turbo car cruising along in 5th or whaterver and its like a sitting duck, not no with an NA car, it'll pull from almost anywhere..
    Same goes for a VTEC Honda cruising in 5th. You would have to drop it into 4th or even 3rd to get into the power band.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Sedan w/JDM ZC
    agreed. i dont know of many honda engines which dont require a shift down to get up and going from cruising speed.
    i think ppl are getting confused about the notion of NA response.
    frankly i wouldnt call a turbo cruising in 5th at say ~ 110km/h a sitting duck. the higher the gear you're in the more you are going to find torque having an effect on acceleration, and torque is something turbos have going for them

i'll say i'm an NA man but i'm not going to stick my nose up at boost.

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    Quote Originally Posted by nEUROtic
    Problem is, unless ur in exactly the right gear at the right revs, its useless.
    too much top gear y0!

as wyn stated thats a "****ing load of crap that comparison"

i have seen that episode, the model they used had an 'upgraded' bigger turbo which obviously means more lag in those situations. if you put a stock evo there it woult have passed the fiat rather easily.

anyway what kinda test is that? the shifter is there for a reason.
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by panda[CRX]

anyway what kinda test is that? the shifter is there for a reason.
    Exactly. ANd if it was an auto, the auto would have kicked down and BYE BYE FIAT.

SOrry for tearing your example apart LOL

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra VTi-R
    whaa so many people say turbo lag.. umm ok heres a question i pose to you

integra VTir stock integra Vtir stock engine with turbo.. now seriosly what is the difference.. well both cars still run exactly the same untill one of them gets a boost kick.... so if turbos lag.. then NA is fulltime lag.. i like both turbo and NA.. but just NA more expensive ^_^..

and like wyn and a few others na or turbo.. you goto shift into your powerband if you want to acelerate really fasst.. but if you got a fast spooling turbo. well even 5th gear will do.. ive seen that before =P
    "Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave! With a box of scraps!"

Wayne: Funny.. Mugsees car is also built in a cave with a bunch of scraps, also its red and gold.. interesting......

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Sedan w/JDM ZC
    umm... that not exactly correct. the lag is caused by the turbo itself being a restictor to flow before it reaches positive boost. it results in a pressure drop between the turbo and intake. therefore you cant really say NA has lag full time, or at all.
    two of the same engines, one NA one boosted - the boosted engine is going to have slower accelaration before it hits boost. in well tuned applications with a well chosen setup this is not going to be very noticable. its really an issue when the turbos get bigger or when someone has chosen the wrong turbo for their engine

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra VTi-R
    but if the 2 cars have nothing done to the engine.. theres little difference just that when boost kicks in bye bye na car.. i love both NA and Boost both of them have their ups and down. . then there is always a supercharger. you cant exactly argue theres lag there can you? what is a supercharger .. ding ding its a type of of turbo charger =P.. that will eliminate your turbo lag right there =P best of both worlds.. ok stop arguing =P...

just to get things straight.. theres nothing wrong with boost..

theres nothing wrong with NA..

to each their own i say =P.. but in the world of the WRX and Evo.. and The SUPA HKDM 2door coupe EVO LAncers.. well you need a machine that can bite back hehe ^_^..

one wise (and stupid ^_^ bwhahaha..) man once said its not the size of the dog in the fight.. its the size of the fight in the dog =P..
    Last edited by wlee2; 30-05-2005 at 01:18 PM.
    "Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave! With a box of scraps!"

Wayne: Funny.. Mugsees car is also built in a cave with a bunch of scraps, also its red and gold.. interesting......

Member Array
    Car:
    94 prelude h22a
    well i guess ill have experience on both sides of the fence! love having boost and ill be running around in my spare NA h22a with some fun bits in it. ill be getting it hopefully this weekend (while my turbo block is in the U.S) i will then be able to give a non biased comment on this topic. comparing cost to performance NA vs TURBO

will keep you guys posted!!

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wlee2
    but if the 2 cars have nothing done to the engine.. theres little difference just that when boost kicks in bye bye na car..
    It's not that simple. You might want to read up a bit on how a turbo works. Restrictions in the exhaust because of the turbo DO affect throttle response.

Quote Originally Posted by wlee2
    . then there is always a supercharger. you cant exactly argue theres lag there can you? what is a supercharger .. ding ding its a type of of turbo charger =P.. that will eliminate your turbo lag right there =P best of both worlds.. ok stop arguing =P...
    Once again its not that simple. A supercharger is known NOT to have lag because it doesn't cause a restriction in the exhaust.

Might want to go and read a bit more before making wild claims dood.

Member Array
    Car:
    dc5r
    Also the drive system of a supercharger is very ineffecient, power loss of 30% of possible power production is not uncommon, ie lots of load on engine for wot is a pretty crude way to develop power...