Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EF9 Civic

Old headers; new again.

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Hey guys this is only my first post so I apologise if I sound like a beginner lol.

So I wanted my old headers to look new and shiny again. It was pretty easy. I guess you just need patience and motivation.

Materials:
    1 x 400 Grade sand paper
    1 x 800 Grade sand paper (ALL WET AND DRY SAND PAPER)
    1x 1200 Grade sand paper
    1 x 2000 Grade sand paper
    Metal polish
    100% Cotton cloth
    Bucket

I'll recommend that before you do anything, taking the headers out of the car might make the job easier. I didn't do it though, and that's why I recommend that you should lol...

Step 1:
    First you need water, so fill the bucket with it (I used a bucket to save water lol).
    Then grab the 400 grade sand paper, divide it into 4 and use each peice of sand paper for each pipe.
    The area that you're sanding needs to be wet while your sanding it.
    Try to sand in one direction.
    Your aim is for the silver metal finish to show.
    When you're sanding, try not to put too much pressure on the pipes.
    Like I said, you need patience if you want it to look good.

Step 2:
    After you've done all 4 pipes with the 400 grade sand paper, it should already have that silver metal finish.
    After this, move on to 800 grade sand paper and repeat the same procedure.
    This will help reduce the scratches and scrapes that the sand paper made on the silver metal.

Step 3:
    Use the 1200 grade sand paper and again this will help reduce the scratches and scrapes.
    Continue with the same procedure.
    The only difference with this one is that I only used a quarter of the sand paper sheet for the 4 pipes.

step 4:
    Use the 2000 grade sand paper.
    Try to make the metal really shiny!
    Again, this will help make the scratches and scrapes of the sand paper on the metal less obvious.
    Here, I also only used a quarter of the sand paper sheet for the 4 pipes.

step 5:
    Use the cotton cloth and dip it in the metal polish.
    Do this part exactly like how you would if you were polishing your car.

When this is all done, your headers should be almost look as if they were brand new.

If you have any other ideas in regards to doing this, or maybe you have anything to say, feel free to add comments or ask me questions.

It's not really my exhaust manifold but it looked exactly like this. Old and rusty lol.

Because the exhaust gets really hot, the metal turned from shiny silver to a gold colour ...
    after photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06996..jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	15031   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07003..jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	15032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06999..jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	15033  
    Last edited by cyryl07; 27-06-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added Disclaimer

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Good write up. Wheres the AFTER photos???
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF9 Civic
    after photos are up

HOLY S*IT Well done... VERY NICE

Member Array
    Car:
    Gen 2 CRX; DC2R
    Good write up. I did this a few days ago as well. This method works well on mufflers also.

You can use a scourer sponge with some polish instead of wet sanding to get a similar result.
    But it depends on the severity of the discoloration. Wet sanding is a faster way but also
    presents the risk of damage for the inexperienced.

I find that Mothers metal polish paste works the best of the polishes; it's a quality product. It's
    pricey but well worth it. It cost me $20 for a small tin from Autobarn. Autobarn have 20% off
    at the moment for those of you who are interested.

Tip: an old toothbrush works wonders for tight spots.

And yeah, as stated, taking your headers off makes the job a lot easier and you can get a
    much more complete finish. cyryl07 I'm sure you would agree that you weren't able to get to
    every part of the headers on the car. Great result anyway!

Last thing, make sure to degrease the headers prior to running the car. The heat from the
    headers will burn your oily fingerprints onto the metals' surface otherwise. You don't want black
    fingerprints on your shiny headers!
    Last edited by thegame888; 27-06-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF9 Civic
    Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

Yeah the muffler was actually my next DIY post. It would look good on the ED since the muffler goes across.
    Anyway, taking the headers off would have actually made it a lot easier but I didn't want to take the risk of
    having an exhaust leak when I put it back on. I could have bought gaskets but I wanted to save money lol.

I didn't get most of the exhaust but I tried my best to get as much as possible.

Thanks again for another method of getting it done 'thegame888'.
    Like I said feel free to post comments if you have other ideas to make it a little bit easier for all of us.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Very nice write-up. Thanks, because my RS*R headers are filthy and ruined and a long time ago I was asking around to see if I could polish them up but everybody said it was hopeless unless I get them re-painted or ceramic-coated etc.

I'm building my head so will do a good job on them when they're off for port-matching.

Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    EF9 Civic
    yeh man thats what i thought as well. lol

Member Array
    Car:
    YA!HONDA!
    wow thats very good!!!!
    EG4>CBR250RR>EM1>GOLF>AP1

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 & SF5
    great write up.
    -=[BLACK Dc2]=-

EXE TRACK DAY 2014 PB 1:37.0

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    this is the berry good ones cyryl, looking berry new now ah lol ... clean engine bay too lol
    _____ it dont matter if you win by an inch or a mile .... winning's winning _____

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    Mother's metal 'Polysh' I think it is called I'd agree is the best i've used..

IMO use Brake-Cleaner rather than Degreaser as the last step before you start-up the motor.