Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Choppin springs

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic
    hey im gettin 17 inch rims soon and it will lift my car up a bit i have king springs and i dont want to get another set or compress them but chop them..is this a wise choice who here has done it and if it's a safe thing to do... will it do harm to ur shocks and will it be a bumper ride...?

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 Civic VTi
    No, yes (probably), no, yes, yes.
    [TNT] Team No Traction - Cos No Traction Is Underrated

Two turbos, is better then one.

Just dont do it. Full stop.

It only works on a gemini or similar...becoz u are afraid to loose the car in a stoopid "spring snapping" accident.

'99 DC2R/'88 CRX Array
    Car:
    DC2R/CRX
    Better take out medical insurance if you chop your springs, it upsets the balance of the spring to shock and messes with the bump and rebound, destabilising the car.

Don't do it, it's potentially dangerous.
    '99 DC2R, '90 BMW E30 318is, '88 CRX

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9 Integra LS
    When chopping the spring you change the spring rate.

My biggest fear is that the springs would no longer remain captive, and than the originally flat spring end would now be angled.

I had heard of getting springs reset (Kings Springs actually suggested it) but I don't know how or where to get it done. I too want a lower ride but Kings dont make lower springs than mine.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    If you dont have money for a new set, or even to compress them (which isnt quite as dodgy as cutting) then leave them. Not only are they dangerous but if you have an acco and insurance sees chopped springs your policy is void.

Redteg: If you need lower springs contact Kmac, they can make whatever height/stiffness you need

As for the not captive thing, this hasnt been as issue for me, as springs are only not captive when the car is hoisted up. So unless you plan on getting airborne off speed humps i dont think its a major drama (other than if insurance/RTA might not like them)

Member Array
    Car:
    Forced Induction
    You gotta be kidding ... How much is it for a set of lowered springs from a locally made manufacturer anyway?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Quote Originally Posted by AP1 F20c
    You gotta be kidding ... How much is it for a set of lowered springs from a locally made manufacturer anyway?
    $400 for kings or similar? even less if u buy n fit them urself?
    lol@locally made. only o'seas gear for urself i take it......?

Member Array
    Car:
    Forced Induction
    Jon, that's not a bad price. If you can fit it yourself, that's even better.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC4
    Quote Originally Posted by AP1 F20c
    Jon, that's not a bad price. If you can fit it yourself, that's even better.
    i wouldnt have a clue, my car is still at stock ride height. thats jus the price ive heard bandied around the place. i gather its the going price for a "normal" set of springs.

Snap Happy! Array
    Car:
    ER34
    kings should be around $130/pair depending on what car.

By chopping the springs, you're changing the unsprung height of them.
    So if one wheel drops and the strut fully extends and your spring's unspring height has been shortened, there is a chance it will pop out of the seat. When the wheel comes back up, your spring will not be seated properly or seated at all!

If you don't have money to mod your car, then don't mod it.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic
    thanks for ur oppinions just prolly get them compress there a place in newcastle they can do it

If you don't have money to mod your car, then don't mod it.
    lol i got the money..its not my fualt king springs dont make lower springs ive got super lows and after that u have to get customs which are around $550 and aujustble are just even more just waste money for springs