Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 GLi

Basic System Recommendations.

Ok I was hoping you audio nuts would be able to give me some quick suggestions for a simple set up to go into my EG civic.
    I am only looking for
    • A Head Unit, CD/MP3/iPod?
      (2x) 6" for the front.
      (2x) 6x9" for the rear.

My budget is around $600 and I am not aiming for an amazing set up. I would just like reasonable sound quality throughout the speakers, and a head unit that doesn't look too out of place.
    Open to all suggestions....

Member Array
    Car:
    Fn2 type r
    i dont have any reccomendation for headunit but for the speakers i reccomend jaycar precision response speakers

6" split cost 139
    6.5" split cost 149
    6x9 coxt 139

so all the speakers you are looking at around $300 with cables, you still have 300 for the head unit. if you want also stick a small 4 ch amplifier, a jaycar 4x50watt amp cost 199

I highly recomend the jaycar speaker since they are as good or even better as speakers 2 or3 times their price
    Triangular exhaust

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1 Civic
    honestly man, i would get a decent headunit 400 - 500, eg. Alpine, then use that on standard speakers.. u will notice a massive increase in quality.. then save for 2 sets of 6.5" splits and a 4 channel amp i just started sticking 8 sets of splits in my car man.. splits are the way to go
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ51LK
    when bruce banner gets angry and loses it, he turns into the incedible hulk...

...when the incredible hulk gets f*ckin pissed off and loses it, he turns into amurray
    http://images.cainer.net//uploads/peterbrock.jpg
    http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/586...nsigsh7ye2.jpg

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 GLi
    Quote Originally Posted by amurray View Post
    honestly man, i would get a decent headunit 400 - 500, eg. Alpine, then use that on standard speakers.. u will notice a massive increase in quality.. then save for 2 sets of 6.5" splits and a 4 channel amp i just started sticking 8 sets of splits in my car man.. splits are the way to go
    That would be all nice if I had a set of stock front speakers, thanks for the suggestion though. I really can't justify 3-400 bucks for a head unit when my mates have got head units <200 bucks which give the level of quality I am looking for. I understand that cost usually equals quality, but at the moment I am not too fussed about the Head unit as Im sure I'll decide to upgrade when I start earning more money.
    Quote Originally Posted by sitta View Post
    i dont have any reccomendation for headunit but for the speakers i reccomend jaycar precision response speakers

6" split cost 139
    6.5" split cost 149
    6x9 coxt 139

so all the speakers you are looking at around $300 with cables, you still have 300 for the head unit. if you want also stick a small 4 ch amplifier, a jaycar 4x50watt amp cost 199

I highly recomend the jaycar speaker since they are as good or even better as speakers 2 or3 times their price
    I have been told this also, but I am torn between opinions as my teacher at school who is an electrician by trade and fairly enthusiastic about audio systems has told me that I should stay away from Jaycar speakers. Then on the other hand my mate and now you have recommended them.
    Is an amp really necessary when running the splits? because my budget is very limited, (birthday present from my folks.) What kinda cables am I looking at also?

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies.

Member Array
    Car:
    Fn2 type r
    i guess if you are not going to use a sub you wouldnt need an amp. get a split at the front and a 6x9 at the rear. if your total budget is $600 than i would recomend getting some fancy brand like focal, hertz, mb quart, rockford, etc

check out focalaustralia.com.au, their a1 range is quite good and is perfect for running off standard head unit. Cable doesnt really matter unless you are a crazy audio person, normal speaker cables will be good. You can also check out this website www.mobileelectronics.com.au and go to the forum, you can find good audio bargains in the forsale section

You are going for a front stage sound therefore you need a good split, and a decent rear speakers. Rear speakers are only for rear fill, for your passengers to listen to. if you have the budget get focal 165A1 and jaycar response 6x9

If you want a sub im selling a 12" kicker ex sub with ported box inperfect working condition
    Triangular exhaust

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    If you are not using Amplifiers, you need to get speakers that have low wattage (50wRMS or less) and high Sensitivity.

If you install 150w speakers that run directly off the Head Unit, they will perform badly and give out very little bass.

Try to avoid the cheap sony/pioneer stuff (they tend to be overpriced and underperformers), jaycar speakers are good value, but if you want decent sound quality, spend a bit more and go for an American/European brand like JL Audio, Boston Acoustics, MB Quartz, Focal, etc..
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 GLi
    thanks for the info guys.
    Im looking at some alpine type-s gear.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    ^ yeah 50wRMS and 92dB should be fine running off a decent deck
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 GLi
    its also an alpine deck, This bad boy;

http://www.alpine.com.au/products/pr...sp?modelID=293

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Yeh not fussed about alpine hu's, prefer blaupunkt head units like the Memphis MP66

.© ♪

You say you dont want amazing sound quality, for $600. Which is good because you can either have great sound, or a small budget, not both.
    Now all you really have to decide is: What do you consider good sound?
    For your money, you can either go for a clearer, crisper setup, or a louder, bassier setup. I.e.
    1 Spend money on splits for the front, and chuck cheapie 6" speakers in the back to use for filler (optimal soundstage has sound coming from the front). I'd recommend Hertz hsk-165 or something like that. A second hand amp and a capable mate can work wonders here as decent fronts powered correctly could give you the bass and volume you needed anyway

2 Get the 6x9's in the back which will give more bass, and hope you can score a head unit with some kind of filtering so you can still make enough sound come from the front speakers to not have all the audio playing behind you.

That being said i'm sure you'll be happy with either option. Just keep in mind what you're aiming for, and don't be too scared of buying second hand to save that cash / get better gear but stay in your budget. Don't forget installation costs, wether they be full retail price or a case of beer for your mate.
    For new gear, what I hear about jaycar's kevlar speakers is as good as their price. But dont buy a cheapass Head Unit, esp. if not running an amp. I can recommend the JVC G615 head unit (may have been replaced with a similar model) was ~ 250 when i bought it, and has mp3 capability as well as an input jack at the front for any ipod/discman etc you might have.
    Last edited by Rasputin; 15-10-2007 at 10:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mugeneration
    Well I always thought to PLEASURE your girl was anything sexual.

To PLEASE your girl is anything that costs money.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG8 Civic
    For Started Unless using spacers 6x9's are pretty hard to put in as the honda parcelshelving is not dead straight, i chucked in 6.5" alpine speakers ($140) Brand New 07 Range, Panasonic Headunit ($300 which is now something like $240 and its unbelievable changes colour looks mean loads of compliments for a good priced powerful headunit, so far thats $380, and you still have at least $200 for splits

however if your after any bass what so ever you will need 6x9's or a subbie because running my system without my subwoofer is just acoustics barly any bass also because it's running directly off the headunit....

in the end cant go wrong with Alpine or JL audio thats what i tell everyone or even JBL Or MTX From strathfield