Question about brake pads etc etc

Hi!
    I've just had my brake pads changed.. the front ones..
    I read stacks of brake related threads here so I sort of would look like what I am talking about if there was anything..
    all went good, except the dude told me to machine the disc or replace the whole thing.. I had a chat with the supervisor who dismissed the idea so.. yeah.. (it was going to cost me $44 each to machine and $300 to replace, i asked again what it was about but supervisor didn't really tell me much except that they may need to on ocassion..)

But my question actually is regarding the brakes..
    prior to replacing brake pads, my accord euro was really snappy with brakes.. very responsive but now I sort of have to step on it quite a bit to get the brakes happening, more like my mum's camry.. is this coz it's new pads? and I just drove with it? or is there something else I need to look out for?
    I think I got the stock honda accord pads, cost me $130 to replace the fronts..

I know if the brakes sink in I need to check the brake oils right? but it wasn't anywhere near this before changing so I am a little curious.. I've had the safety check done with them too and was reported the car was in a great condition..

any thoughts?
    cheers,

Min

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    I'd probably trust the mech and get the rotors machined, he might have a good reason for it.
    Pretty sure you'll feel the same old braking performance you once did after the brakes have bedded in assuming the previous pads were the same as the new ones
    Why hello there

dam $44 EACH to machine is so expensive
    ozhonda.com = ozhomo.com

Member Array
    Car:
    MX83 cressida
    Machining discs every time you change pads is not always necessary, it more a less shortens the life of the discs the more often you have it done.
    If a mechanic advises you to and comes up with a good reason to, then they are probably right!

As for the softer feel, check ur fluid, they may have bled some out during the change and not replaced it, so that may be low!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Don't need to machine it unless it is warped. It will take a few thousand kms to run the brake pads in.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    If you had the brake pads replaced with the same type you had previously and the brake lines have been bled, you should have the same braking performance as before - once the pads have been bedded in properly.

If the discs are warped or have DTV (Depth Thickness Variation) to an acceptable point, then they should be machined. The brake discs have a minimum thickness and should not be machined or 'technically used again' with a new set of brake pads if they're thinner than the specified minimum.

This is so there is a safe amount of material left on the disc for the pads to bite against aswell as being able to dissipate heat effectively.

Unless they are warped or have DTV it's pointless getting them machined. If they're past this minimum thickness - replace them when you replace your brake pads.
    Last edited by omgzilla; 15-10-2007 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Additions and Typo's
    FN2R