Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1996 Accord VTI-S

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by dw3ebo0 View Post
    I know, same here! That's why I am looking at the VTi's, and not the VTi-S's. And by the way, what do you mean by "crap themselves"? Do you mean the gearboxes become sluggish?

Wow thanks for your advice! Yeah, I was thinking about installing coilovers to lower it and give it a harder bounce in the future. That's what I am scared of, like when I drive over, for example speed bumps, the tip or the front lip will get damaged..
    Do some searching around the forum. Apparantly the Auto Transmission strainer can get clogged which damages the box requiring it to be rebuilt ect. It's a bit of a defect with these accords. Using the correct AT fluid and regular servicing should help in this regard though. I'm not saying it will happen but there seems to be many reports of it although more so in the V6 models I think... Not a cheap problem to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepolian View Post
    IMO VTI'S are a bargain buy. I have seen them under 5K. The leather in the VTIS is usually carked and the diff between the VTI and VTIS after that doesnt really justify the 2-4k diff. Buy a good cheap VTI and you already have enough money to but as set of wheels, shocks etc.....under the price of an VTIS.

If you really want leather, put leather in. Doesnt cost that much these days.
    But you also get climate control, not a huge deal but definatly handy and saves you fiddling with knobs periodicly to maintain a comfortable temperature. If it was just leather and nothing else yes it might not be worth some of the price premiums. Having said that I'm sure Honda know they could have easily included climate control in VTI spec considering it has things many cars don't have such as electric seat functions, sunroofs ect. Not that I havn't seen some deadset bargains on good VTI-s (auto) for the same price or less as VTI's!

Btw thanks for that info regarding lowering ect Simpdog! Maybe if I lowered I wouldn't go as low as 35mm although it most likely looks great.
    Last edited by Gards; 28-10-2007 at 02:15 PM.

Disabled Array
    Car:
    CD5 Accord VTi-S
    Quote Originally Posted by Gards View Post
    But you also get climate control, not a huge deal but definatly handy and saves you fiddling with knobs periodicly to maintain a comfortable temperature. If it was just leather and nothing else yes it might not be worth some of the price premiums. Having said that I'm sure Honda know they could have easily included climate control in VTI spec considering it has things many cars don't have such as electric seat functions, sunroofs ect. Not that I havn't seen some deadset bargains on good VTI-s (auto) for the same price or less as VTI's!

Btw thanks for that info regarding lowering ect Simpdog! Maybe if I lowered I wouldn't go as low as 35mm although it most likely looks great.
    prob also worth keeping in mind climate control only came in the vti-s' from '95 onwards as well. the main differnces is that the vti-s has leather, abs brakes and standard drivers airbag (which was a $1k option on the vti iirc), thats what u pay the premium for

and cd5's ride pretty high, im sure if u got to lowering u might want to go at least 35mm (one guy did a 3.5 inch drop without bags) .

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    u missd out on my cd5 wif only 140k's a1 spec n stock!
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4K24
    Quote Originally Posted by Gards View Post

Ideally I want a manual but again they arn't as common especially in VTI-S trim. I know the autos have an issue where upon they crap themselves. Anything to particular to look for on a high kilometer example in regards to the gearbox? Obviously I would ensure it shifts smoothly and doesnt hunt for gears or make noises but what are some tell tale signs of the auto gearbox being on the way out in accords?

Thanks!
    what i noticed in my older accord is slipping dropping back gear through corners and taking off in second those can be problems to be found with autos

its really dangerous lol u take off at the lights on a slight hill it rolls out into the intersection and doesnt move lol u then have to shift to N and back to D4 to get it to move again

P
    R
    N
    D4
    D3

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    never had a problem like that in the auto box. or unheard of as well.

downshifting on a auto is alwais a no no. to much pressure put down on the GB so thats why u mite haf the problems?
    "since we're both asian.. I'll look after you and chuck in King Springs with the wheels and tyres for $1050"

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9
    my cd5 vti-s just hit 269000 i bought it from an elderly couple every service is up to date i have done 40000 since i got it, they are alot of car for the money
    Last edited by 94_vtec; 26-03-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    1996 Accord VTI-S
    I also meant to ask ealier as this fits in with the topics of this thread.

How much would you expect to pay for an engine reconditioning in a CD5 Accord?

What about a price for recon of auto tranny?
    Last edited by Gards; 31-10-2007 at 12:01 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '07 Jazz VTi, '00 RD1 CRV
    CB7s and CD5 Accords (ie the ones built in Japan) go the distance. My dad has a 99 CG? Accord VTi-L and has had some fairly major problems with it. Ignition shat itself, and so did the distributor. Big dollars to fix both.

Meanwhile my 91 CB7 has 307,000 on it. I just completed a 100,000k interval major service which included replacing a few seals and belts (timing belts a big job). It now runs beautifully and should continue to do so for a while yet. There are no oil leaks and the transmission still shifts smoothly. Interiors beginning to wear a bit (but what do you expect with a 17 year old car).

I've had the car since 200,000km and the only major expenses I've had to do are CVs and a new distributor. Everything else has been pretty much faultless.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    N/A
    Yeah, after reading people's comments (really appreciate it guys! ) and looking around forums.. I would probably won't buy an CG (don't have the money for one anyway haha)

I want a CD5 now!

Just the fact that overall, I've read that cd5's go the distance without much problems (like 4thGenExi above with 300k); it would be a good cheap first car, and aye, I reckon it looks pretty good for a car that's nearly 14 years old! The other reason would be that there aren't many manual CG's around. CD5.. it's a four door car, manual, decent power, has a honda badge on it, looks pretty good.. hey what else do I need! Just need to find one now!
    Current: '09 SH9 XTP

Disabled Array
    Car:
    CD5 Accord VTi-S
    Quote Originally Posted by dw3ebo0 View Post
    Just the fact that overall, I've read that cd5's go the distance without much problems (like 4thGenExi above with 300k
    he was actually talking about a cb7 (4th gen), the cd5 (5th gen) is the model after it but you can see the point he was making

the cd5's (and cb7s ) do have a good reputation for reliability but that doesent mean u can't get one with problems, always be wary when buying a second hand car, good luck with finding a good one

and as you mentioned, people do seem surprised when i tell them the car is 13 years old, the design has aged very gracefully.

i picked my vti cd5 up for $3850 with 280 on the clock, drives smooth and everything works great, only thing is its dark green and the roof has perished, few slight dings but i mean il pay the cash to have a respray as i saved the money on the price.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    N/A
    Oh nice! Lucky, in what state by the way?

I haven't found a good one yet, there's only one manual cd5 on carsales and it's in burgundy with 235,000kms for $6.5k. If I got no choice, I guess I got to go with burdundy haha
    Last edited by dw3ebo0; 28-12-2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
    Current: '09 SH9 XTP