Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

96 EK Civic - VTi vs GLi

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could tell me what the differences are between the VTi and GLi models of the 1996 EK Civic? I have a VTi sedan but as far as I can tell, they are identical?

they are almost as slow as each other lol

nah, gli is sohc non vtec whereas vti is sohc vtec. both 1.6L. its mainly the engine that is the difference. i don't think you can really tell just by looking at the car unless there is the gli/vti sticker. someone correct me if im wrong. the engine codes will be slightly different too.
    gli will have something like d16y4
    vti will have a d16y8

Thanks for the quick reply.

Slow is an understatement!
    According to one of the threads on this forum they make the same power and torque (88kw/141nm) which would indicate same engine?

I might have to look under the bonnet tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure there's no VTEC on this car.

Member Array
    Car:
    180sx
    VTi is vtec, im pretty sure also. It will have a D16Y8 engine, and the GLi will have D16Y4.

yep vti is vtec. but then again. vti is not huge. you might only make the destination 10 seconds earlier lol
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996ek1 View Post
    VTi is vtec, im pretty sure also. It will have a D16Y8 engine, and the GLi will have D16Y4.

Member Array
    Car:
    Ferio
    yours is 96 right? then
    gli = driver air bag only
    vti = dual airbags

98/99 onwards (after facelift) both come with dual airbags

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic 1996 Vti
    I got a 96 sedan as well... i just wish it had a real VTEC in there full stop. lol

Oh well, still goes hard cos it's all bout how you drive the beast
    ITEMS 4 SALE:
    Genuine OEM Steering Wheel SRS. excellent Cond 4EK
    Complete towbar 4EK
    Genuine OEM & Real Carbon Fibre Cluster Bezel 4EK
    6 x T5 LED's with 3inner LED in each

i own a vti coupe the d16y8 is 92kws it goes alright still no where near a B or anything like that but its a good place to start.

Member Array
    Car:
    Silver Coupe
    and cup holders in the vti! don't forget the cup holders
    as hondavti25 said its got a slight power advantage and better fuel economy than the Gli

The VTI is VTEC you can see the VTEC solenoid on the left hand side of the motor its a round cylinder thing sticking up from the head.

Thanks all. I'll have to have a look under the bonnet... otherwise it's just little things like passenger airbag and cupholders, yeah?

c1v1c96, you're not serious are you?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic 1996 Vti
    LOL... well its not gonna go as rexy or something like that, 666, but for its engine size and type, its orite i reckon

at the end of the day, pimpin ur car is more worth than making ur car a rocket cos the max you can go these days is 100km/h and thats on the freeway otherwise its all 50~70km/h and thats besides cops being up ur rear 24/7 lol. Dont need that crap man.

Just my opinion
    ITEMS 4 SALE:
    Genuine OEM Steering Wheel SRS. excellent Cond 4EK
    Complete towbar 4EK
    Genuine OEM & Real Carbon Fibre Cluster Bezel 4EK
    6 x T5 LED's with 3inner LED in each

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 & Jazz VTI...
    VTI is slightly faster than the GLI.. i tink 93kw vs 88 kw.. definitely VTI has a slightly edge in performance and gd mid range vtec..