Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool DC5 Carbon Fiber Thread

FINALLY! A CARBON FIBER THREAD!

Well this is my first voyage into the depths of OZHONDA, being on ClubITR.com for a while now. So HI to everyone for the first time.

This thread can be for everyone to review and comment on Carbon items they have bought. You can comment on fit, finish and any benefits that have come with them, such as greatly reduced weight and therefore a change in handling.

Firstly, I have a DC5R that I'm in the process of converting to carbon, along with changing other parts to light-weight counterparts.

The aim is to get the car into the 900kg bracket, <1000kg.

So far I have:

• Genuine Mugen Carbon Hood
    • Craft Square Carbon Mirrors
    • Seibon Carbon Doors
    • Carbon OEM Type R Rear Wing
    • Gruppe M Carbon Intake

Still to come are Carbon fenders, hatch, skirts and front to back under diffuser.

So let me start with each item.

The Carbon hood I first got was a replica Mugen hood. It didn't fit very well so I forked out for a genuine article. The weight difference between the OEM steel item and the carbon one is very significant. The carbon one only weighed around 2.5kg, where as the OEM item felt like about 20kg. The effect on the balance of the car was that it felt a bit "over-steery" but the balance was restored by removing the spare wheel and jack from the boot, which now collects dust in my garage. I have semi-slicks so even if they have no pressure in them, the side walls are so stiff that I could drive it as far as I need to get a puncture repair or new one.

The carbon Craft Square mirrors are sweet! First class quality and fit. They are so small though, as people who have seen them will be able to understand. Unfortunately, the weight (450g) is only slightly less than the original items (~3kg)

The carbon OEM Type R wing is good quality, not nearly as good as the mirrors and hood, but they are hard to match. Good fit, one of the holes was about 2mm off, but I was too lazy on the day to slot the hole in my hatch, so left it with only 3 bolts. Again, it only weighed a fraction less than the OEM one, about 0.5kg less. But it looks so good. My car is black by the way, in case you didn't gather that from the screen name, so the carbon blends in really nicely, its only visible in direct sun light, standing back from the car and all the carbon is very hard to see.

Finally the carbon doors. They are from Seibon. WOW! As far as visual impact goes, these are the stand out items. The quality is mixed. The surface quality and look are great. But as for the fit, the panel gaps are spot on, but a lot of sanding is required to fit all the OEM items, such as the inner door skin, is required as the fiberglass inside door backing plate is thicker than the steel sheet metal, so where the clips go into the holes, it is required to be sanded a bit thinner and slightly enlarged to accept them perfectly. I have only fitted the driver's door, as I only had them delivered a few days ago, along with the fact that it took me almost 20 hours to fit just one. The weight difference between the OEM and carbon doors is very significant. The weight saving is >15kg for EACH door. Its obvious when opening and closing the door too. When the latch is released, the door just flings open, rather than having to be moved with a little effort with the OEM ones. With only one fitted, I can really feel the difference in the car's behavior, in conjunction with the other mods too. So I can't wait until the other door is fitted not that I'm looking forward to the actual install process.

I'll post pictures of each of these in detail as soon as I wash my car this week, since I've been so lazy.

Hope this has helped anyone thinking of similar mods.

I will also be taking my car to a weigh bridge very soon to see the effect that these have had.

I'll also be updating the thread along with everyone else as I finish off my shopping list of other carbon parts too.

So the arena is now open for everyone else to post up their carbon mods, comments and pictures for all the world to see.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    only carbon fibre thing on my car is cf spoon mirrors. they were on adrian's (TODA AU) car, so got em for a good price...

Ha, its so hard to get a Post Quality Point on this forum lol

Like i said on ClubITR, This thread is useless with out pictures.

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla type R / CRV
    Quote Originally Posted by [RSX 03] View Post
    Like i said on ClubITR, This thread is useless with out pictures.
    ^agreed

The car has about a month worth of dirt on it, and a dodgy phone camera.. but since you wanted photos so bad, here you go... Enjoy

Member Array
    Car:
    '11 WRX
    are you going to spray the parts black cos i wouldn't wont to get done by the cops if i was you?

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Color matched would look a lot cleaner.

id hate to be in your car in a side impact.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    True Dat!

Are you going to replace rims with lightwieght ones and arent recaros fairly heavy as i was told any ways? GL with it though

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type-R DC5
    Replacing everything pretty much... I'll go into the list later.

As for the doors, as soon as the second door is on, I'm going to a Jap vehicle compliancer, to have side intrusion bars fitted and signed off by an engineer.

P.S. don't feel too safe with the stock ones, the intrusion bar is below your knee level... I'll take a picture if you want to be freaked out... It's in line with the speaker... Yikes.