Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

component speaker installation question

hey, i had replaced my front speakers with component speakers in a 1997 civic. But one thing that i noticed is that the magnet on the woofer was too big so i had to cut the plastic that encloses the speaker from behind. Does this affect the quality of the sound? is it better to have the area behind the speaker more enclosed? i had already dynamat my doors.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    6 inch etc. speakers are normally made to use the inside of the door skeleton as a makeshift enclosure. Putting them in their own small box or creating airtight sealed sections to install them in the door creates 'boominess' in the upper bass
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Ozhonda Subscriber Array
    Car:
    RX450h / RB3
    u can cut the plastic but try to put some dynamat on the inside metal right behind the magnet or u can get the Focal plainchant

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan B16a2
    personally id just chop the hole plastic casing right out and use were the plastic mounts to thee door as your base for your speaker mount. put some foam around the rim of the speaker and do it up nice and tight to flatten the foam, that way its a nice seal and your using your hole door as an enclosure.
    ive done this on many installs and it sounds great especially if you have already dynamat the door

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    chop chop, plus on one we just finished, we cut the metal also to allow the speaker to actually work rather than the metal cause reflections. but thats more of a pro style job rather than diy...

this is what we also did in the boot...
    Last edited by ICACHA; 01-02-2008 at 02:14 PM.
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

Member Array
    Car:
    '11 WRX
    should be fine just ensure there is no contact with the cars chassis as it will effect the speaker performance. Should of just added a homemade plywood gasket in between the plastic and the speaker.

Depends on what speakers u have also. few years ago when I had my EK. I did the same, the pastic acts as a umbrella as such to keep the water off the speaker. If you do remove it I would recommend making a custom shroud to keep any water off as it will stuff up your cones if they are made of paper.

Its pretty easy to do. Cut plastic / disposable bowls in half then fibreglass it using it as a mould.
    But if you dont care for the terminals to rust and u have pastic or fibreglass cones then its ok.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    or you could use the trusty vasoline on the terminals, works a treat. just dont get caught using it with your mates around, they might have alterior motives when they see you with the vaso :P
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

Member Array
    Car:
    bmw
    dude to be honest with you.. you wont notice the difference unless you was some musical dude.. who knows the difference in tones when u hear the pitch of an a string being played... its all the same when its turned up... unless u listen to classic music in the car???

i cut holes in my front doors.. for my front splits.. to allow for the maggy cos it was to large.. and it runs fine.. sounds exactly the same when turned up + i got noting in the door to make it sound better just a stock door which is plastic.. it doesnt rattle or ne thing

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    yeah i had to cut mine too.. but they are still too big in diameter! need to go to town on my door trim with a dremel to give it a finishing touch but i'll do that in a few weeks time and tuck my wires properly! but sound quality is so much btr now!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan B16a2
    Quote Originally Posted by ekdez View Post
    .. its all the same when its turned up
    no it aint

sorry to jump in but i'd like to clarify if a 6.5" speaker will fit in the standard EK door without modification... just talking diameter + lining up with the screws..
    i'll worry about depth myself