Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 CRV Sport

CRV Bad Timing Belt Change !!?

I have a 2000 CRV Sport Auto with about 80K on it.
    At the last service at an authorised Kmart service centre I was advised to change the timing belt which I agreed to and they changed the timing belt. The Spark Plugs were also changed along with a few other seals and stuff.

The day after I picked up the car the engine kept cutting out on starting but mainly when it was warm and a couple of times even when stopped at a traffic light. The idling was unsteady and there was a bit of shudder now and then when idling. Since it was the weekend I drove it around and took it back on the Monday. They said the timing was out which they adjusted and the engine does not cut out anymore.

But now I find that there are small but noticeable vibrations in the car when idling and I can sort of hear the engine at highway speeds (>100kph) and it feels like I am pushing the engines while previously it felt much smoother at 110kph. At regular city driving speeds I don't notice any difference from what it was previously but on inclines it seem to kick out of OverDrive much sooner than it used to.

Is this still just a timing related issue or
    could the w/end of driving around on the bad timing have caused other damage to the engine? or
    maybe its just my imagination after the bad service.

appreciate any advise.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Should have got it changed at a proper mechanic. Kmart is not that good when doing major servicing.

Do you know the part number of the plugs they used?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    probably used champion plugs

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 CRV Sport
    Yeah, I am kicking myself for not going to a good service centre for this.

looked by the recept and part numbers for the spark plugs are not mentioned but they cost $4.65 each if that's any indication.

one more thing, fuel usage seems to have increased, used to get about 11 now its about 12.

so are you suggesting that it could just be a spark plug thing and not some more serious damage to the engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG3
    lol Kmart services, many stories bout them and various other chains.
    Why hello there

Member Array
    Car:
    Fn2 type r
    had the same problem with the idling a while ago, the rev is not steady keep going up and down about 500rpm, turn out someting wrong with the valve in one piston.
    Triangular exhaust

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    They might have put the belt back on offset by 1 tooth.

Not wanting to be a scare monger, but- possibly a bent valve?
    And so it begins...

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    It's an auto, so it wouldn't have been over-revved.

How far out was the timing?
    I don't know how much of a margin for error there is in a standard b20, but if there was piston to valve contact it wouldn't really make a difference whether it was an auto or manual...
    And so it begins...

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by ginganggooly View Post
    How far out was the timing?
    I don't know how much of a margin for error there is in a standard b20, but if there was piston to valve contact it wouldn't really make a difference whether it was an auto or manual...
    If the valve timing was out by that much to give piston to valve contact, the engine would run very very badly (or not at all).

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000, RIP Prelude Vtir
    serves you right for not going to a dealer or mechanic with honda experience.