Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira

ebay - elcheap coilover springs

hi guys..

anyone got experience with these?..

has anyone tried the coil over sleeves with konis and maybe oem design springs?

thanks,
    dan
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Member Array
    Car:
    1 prob with those cheap spring is they tends to hv very high spring rate n they r same rate all round

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitZ View Post
    hi guys..

anyone got experience with these?..

has anyone tried the coil over sleeves with konis and maybe oem design springs?

thanks,
    dan
    had em... stiff as... fortunately, the shop i bought mine from somewhat had a clue enough to tell me the rates were between ~16-18Kg all round.

gives a VERY firm ride though...your worst nightmare on bumpy roads.

If you can get em delivered for less than $100 get em, and just replace the springs. i don't think you can re-heat the ones that come with it... BUT for the price of getting custom springs made you may as well have gotten the Ground Control combo...
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

there is NO design or research behind these type of springs - simply made with a thick piece of metal tube , into a linear rated spring.
    Might be a good cheap replacement for some hardcore track coilovers but i would not touch them.

Remember , they would be made of an inferior metal too and no doubt would slowly sag over time and possibly shatter/break.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Remember , they would be made of an inferior metal too and no doubt would slowly sag over time and possibly shatter/break.
    true.. their just (ALL of them advertised) cold wound steel... they however don't sag but I could imagine them shattering at high speed bumps as stated... especially in winter...

after already having them as well as a few people who have... we all think their OK but will never go back to them.

especially since they don't have the additional preload springs, they dont have full compressed contact against the upper mounts and are therefore free moving

they don't sit on the perches properly and slip around and make clanking noises.... this slipping causes MASSIVE extreme camber shifts instantly!!! The rubber bush that comes with them dies in 1 week due to the shifting, even sikaflexing them to the perches don't help. Plus.. one main reason they will never be road legal is coz in Aus, sleeves are required to be welded on to shock bodies (as i have been told by a sussy shop) these simply attach to the shock body via 3 allen key screws from the sleeve which constantly loosen and eventually digging a hole into the shock body from resulting vibrations.

Also due to extreme stiffness, you will have to get VERY decent tyres as a result of traction loss due to these not absorbing much forward inertia on hard brake...
    Last edited by dsp26; 13-11-2007 at 01:26 PM.
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    Quote Originally Posted by dsp26 View Post
    true.. their just (ALL of them advertised) cold wound steel... they however don't sag but I could imagine them shattering at high speed bumps as stated... especially in winter...

after already having them as well as a few people who have... we all think their OK but will never go back to them.

especially since they don't have the additional preload springs, they dont have full compressed contact against the upper mounts and are therefore free moving

they don't sit on the perches properly and slip around and make clanking noises.... this slipping causes MASSIVE extreme camber shifts instantly!!! The rubber bush that comes with them dies in 1 week due to the shifting, even sikaflexing them to the perches don't help. Plus.. one main reason they will never be road legal is coz in Aus, sleeves are required to be welded on to shock bodies (as i have been told by a sussy shop) these simply attach to the shock body via 3 allen key screws from the sleeve which constantly loosen and eventually digging a hole into the shock body from resulting vibrations.

Also due to extreme stiffness, you will have to get VERY decent tyres as a result of traction loss due to these not absorbing much forward inertia on hard brake...
    great info..

how do they differ from the skunk2 coilover sleeves... and maybe even the ground control? are they mounted the same?
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k/JDMDC2/ ED6
    just intalled em 2day got em of ebay for $100 deliverd and are shit VERY VERY STIFF the mechanic that installed em for me said to get new springs asap but for the ajustable pice keep it it would do the job but springs need to go.....

i go apex springs but are too long should i cut em or get new 1s that would do the job......

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Mirage
    dont buy those coilover sleeves kit with springs of unknown spring rate. thats just stupid.

however the us guys use ground control sleeves with eibach springs with success.
    you can buy the sleeves and get springs custom custom made from places such as kmac and all springs.

ive come across a few guys in the US who use ground control sleeves on KYB AGX. obviously you have to hack up the shock and weld the sleeve mounting assy onto the shock body. those guys do autocross with much success.
    their installation is similar but differs from car to car.
    Last edited by iced; 14-11-2007 at 02:02 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Mirage
    Quote Originally Posted by VTI-RRR View Post
    just intalled em 2day got em of ebay for $100 deliverd and are shit VERY VERY STIFF the mechanic that installed em for me said to get new springs asap but for the ajustable pice keep it it would do the job but springs need to go.....

i go apex springs but are too long should i cut em or get new 1s that would do the job......
    if you cut the spring it will increase the spring rate.
    also if you are using them with OEM shocks you have a high chance of skidding off the road, hitting a rail, or oncoming car because the stock dampers cannot sufficiently control the stiff springs and keep your car on the road and hence your braking will suffer also.

your solution will be to get new springs custom made to suit the dampers that are on the car. if the dampers are adjustable .eg KYB AGX, KONI YELLOW then do as above.
    if you using OEM dampers i HIGHLY suggest you remove the coilover sleeves. You will do nothing for the safety of your own self or other drivers on the road.

16-18kg springs on OEM shocks will be plain stupid.
    16-18kg springs on KONI yellow or KYB AGX is also plain stupid. i can imagine even with the dampers maxed out the suspension is be riding like on worn/blown shocks.
    Last edited by iced; 14-11-2007 at 02:06 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Quote Originally Posted by iced View Post
    if you cut the spring it will increase the spring rate.
    how so?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Mirage
    Quote Originally Posted by dsp26 View Post
    how so?
    As the number of active coils increases, the spring rate decreases.
    Therefore, if you decrease the active coils by cutting them off you increase the spring rate.
    Any mechanical engineers feel free to correct me.

Since the day after the flinstones, cut springs are known to reduce a cars bodyroll. WHY?
    It increases spring rate more than anything else.
    There are ways to calculate how stiffer a spring will be if you cut a certain amount of coils off etc. I wont go there.
    To prove this in the most simple example.
    The same reason why a bouncy ride can be mistaken for cut springs. The spring rate is too high for the damper.
    ie. Under dampened suspension.

Cut springs are NOT feasible in this day and age. Rework is required to get the spring to seat properly. This is why your common cut coil spring is very dangerous.
    Last edited by iced; 14-11-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Not true. On any progressive springs , cutting any coils off will adversely change the dynamics of the spring , not the rate. If anything it decreses the spring rate. IE DONT DO IT