Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How many K's before engine swap?

I'm looking at buying a 94' VTIR prelude and I love absolutely everything about it but it has done 225,000kms. How much life do you think the engine would have left in it?

Thanks for your help

Member Array
    Car:
    Lawn mower
    K's are only a minor aspect.

Its how the engine has been treated during its lifetime that counts.

Thanks Strawberryface

So presuming the car has been serviced every 5000kms and has not been trashed too much it may not need a replacement until say 300,000kms??

depends how well the car has been maintained.

There are plenty of ludes over 200,000 that still are not missing a beat.

Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Giddygiddy View Post
    Thanks Strawberryface

So presuming the car has been serviced every 5000kms and has not been trashed too much it may not need a replacement until say 300,000kms??
    Could be even more. I heard of an integra in the States that did over half a million miles!!!
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    Prelude, Civic, Firestorm
    mine died at 300,000 on the dot. coulda fixed it (rings, sleeves, valve stems and seals, head gasket, etc.) but opted for h22a swap

Banned Array
    Car:
    Suabaru > Honda
    most i seen on a car is 480,000km orig and it was not exactly babied around.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    if its been maintained properly its still got a long life ahead of it

Banned Array
    Car:
    1993 EG
    most cars live long life as SHOGUNOVDDRK said "if its maintanined properly it can live more longer" that is true. doing services on time. obv not trashing it aswell. my dads 1980 honda civic was at 600ks before it died but dad bought a new battery n he still uses it atm its on 660ks and still goes hard

I have a mate (forum member) whose CB accord has done over 400,000 clicks. He says it still starts first time everytime and drives well for its age.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    94 prelude SI
    Hi Giddygiddy......i have a 94 prelude but si and its done 198,000 and it seems to be going really good, has never let me down in the year that i have owned it....i service it every 3mths as i never do the 5000ks, in a year i have only done 6500ks .....but i always make sure she is running good. Im wanting to change engine though.. The only reason im wanting to is because im wanting to get a vtec!! Hopefully a H23A vtec Blue top.... since i have been told the H22A is very fiddly to fit into a engine bay where the
    H23A has been cause its a bigger motor...but anyway my friend has a 3rd gen prelude and its done 278,000 and still running strong!!! Shes the second owner though and the first owner was an elderly lady so it was never thrashed and always been looked after...but like everyone else has said "it all depends on the previous owner how they maintained it.... if it was maintained good i reckon you will have no problem!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Giddygiddy View Post
    I'm looking at buying a 94' VTIR prelude and I love absolutely everything about it but it has done 225,000kms. How much life do you think the engine would have left in it?

Thanks for your help

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2002 Honda Integra Type R
    I wouldnt be looking at an engine swap anytime soon, as long as it has a good service history and has been well looked after. my mum has a 1989 integra ls with nearly 300,000 km's on it and it never misses a beat.

I reckon it would be more up to how you feel the car is performing, if it seems to be lacking in certain areas and is not starting first time, every time, then you may wanna look into it, but at 225,000 kms, you shouldnt have to worry bout it anytime soon!

good luck