Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, ae86

Advice for registration!!

Heya all! I have a few q's about a car I'm interested in which is in QLD & am in Melb.
    The car has had an engine conversion into a b18 from a d16 & the seller's told me he didn't require an engineers report & it's passable. I'm just wondering if I get this car, it's currently has no rego which is ok by me, would I just need to get RWC and book it into Vic Roads to inspect it.
    Do I need an eng certificate in Melb? I heard some conversions don't require it if it's max 20% increase...
    Cheers!!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, ae86
    aww

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 B16A
    you'll need an engineers regardless of it registration status.

melb have different rules regarding conversions.
    Got an old Videogame console, handheld, games and accessories. PM me! I want them

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, ae86
    Cheers, I thought this might be one of those situations where it wasn't needed.

In terms of getting my own eng certificate what is checked exactly? Also I'm sure it's not but how can one tell if the engine is not stolen etc...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, ae86
    anyone know? Pleease

Member Array
    they will be checking da chassis to make sure there hasn't been any cut and shut jobs after an accident....braking power to suit the engine so u don't redline da fing n then find out u can't brake fast or good enuff.... dats about all i can tell yah...

mayb others here can add to it..

oh...n ENG CERT is a definite...on top of that you might even need to get a VIVS Check as well which is around the same price range as a ENG CERT (approx $500)
    reason for the VIVS is cuz the car was from interstate n isn't registered at the time of your purchase.
    Last edited by thaaznboi; 20-11-2007 at 03:52 PM.
    EK4-SOLD/ EG5 JDM B18-SOLD/ JDM EVO V-SOLD/ 04 LIBERTY LUX-SOLD/ 01 WRX WAGON-SOLD/ 06 LIBERTY WAGON TUNED BY STi No.63-CURRENT

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    If it doesn't have a mod plate/engineers certificate - don't touch it. There's probably a reason for it.

It DOES need one to be registered here! If it is currently registered here (without a mod plate) then the conversion has been done while the car was still rego'd with the old D-Series engine number etc.

Engine and VIN numbers won't match and you'll most probably have a big mess on your hands.

I had similar issues with my previous car. I bought an R32 GTS-t Skyline from interstate (NSW) and their import/rego laws don't require fitting of ADR approved seat belts - up in in QLD rules are different. I had to get a set of seat belts and nearly had to get larger side intrusion panels fitted, BEFORE they would allow me to change it into my name and have QLD rego.

Differences in laws suck - do your homework properly and be 100% sure that it will all work out, or it could be costly. I learnt the hard way!

My first thoughts on your situation are obvious though... don't touch it!
    Last edited by omgzilla; 21-11-2007 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Additions
    FN2R

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, ae86
    Cheers for the advice. According to the dude engine & vin numbers matched as he got new ones from QLD transport. To check this do I just do a revs check?
    If that checks out can just confirm, I would have to get eng report, rwc, vic roads inspection for rego?
    Do also need to do the emissions test for the EPA?
    I goggled VIV's check, nothing came up...

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Quote Originally Posted by checkers View Post
    According to the dude engine & vin numbers matched as he got new ones from QLD transport.
    I have never heard of this before :S Sounds fishy... If he has a different motor in it (other than what it came with from factory) and no engineers/mod plates, how can the VIN and Engine Number match? :S

I'm not whiz on the registration protocols but that sounds suspect to me!

I'd be getting a revs check, for sure.

Make a few phone calls to both Transport departments of both states and confirm everything before buying it mate - a few phone calls to find out if everything will work out ok would be far less painful than finding out, once you buy the thing, that you're going to have no end of trouble registering the thing.

Just my 2 cents mate.
    Last edited by omgzilla; 23-11-2007 at 06:12 PM.
    FN2R

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX SiR turbo
    cj is this the b18c gen2? ive asked vicroads about another gen2 with a b18c also and it is a hassle, but do able. just make sure the car VIN checks out and its not stolen etc, and get a reciept for the b18c engine like from the wreckers etc that it was brought from.

to get a rwc, you will need the reciept and the mechanic will check out the mounts etc to make sure its all working order (try make everything look as stock as possilbe like stock airbox, heat shields etc.), since the gen2's came out with a b16a stock in the ef8's, you dont need epa or engineers cert for going up 0.2L, and yes ive seen it done. then you will need to make a booking with vicroads so they can check things again to make sure VIN and engine number match up.
    NEW hondata s200. Melb only

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5, ae86
    Cheers for that guys. Thanks Limo, yeah it is the B18c on crx forums. Still sussing out another crx so not sure if I'll get that one, but thanks for the info, know what I gotta get now.