Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AusS2000 View Post
    Mao, you're an automotive professional right? Care to explain what the number before the w is?

Here's a little help if you're having trouble with it:
    http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question33842.html

And a bit more trivia for you. 0 degrees F is -18 degrees C. When is the last time it was -18 degrees over your way?
    I was told that the W "stands" for winter, and the 5W is better for colder areas in the world where it gets to like snowing stages, while 10W is good for our country because it's never that cold lol.

In other news, I bought 10W-40 Royal Purple today for $90. This shit better work haha

S2Krazy Array
    Hey, that is what I use.... in my 94 Falcon ute. I'd never use something that thick in my Honda.
    I use 10-60
    --------------------------------------
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    The W does stand for winter and the number before it is the viscosity at -18 degrees Celcius. Therefore it is totally irrelevant to us in Australia. Only the second number is important.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2k, bb6
    Even I know That and I am not a mechanic. I hope that the mechanics I take my car too knows it as well, if not, I'll question their qualifications......
    僕の名前はTony です。

I need a new car....lol

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S2000
    The W does stand for winter and the number before it is the viscosity at -18 degrees Celcius. Therefore it is totally irrelevant to us in Australia. Only the second number is important.
    Your right AUS, but viscosity VS temp is linear.. So it might not matter what it is at -18 deg Celcius, but it does matter at lets say 10 - 15 degrees (normal morning in Australia). So if viscosity of W is lets say 5 for oil X and 10 for oil Y but both oils have the same high temp viscosity, wouldnt there be a difference in the oil viscosity on start up??
    Last edited by VeYzZii; 15-05-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    1999 s2000
    There is a technically a difference in viscosity at start up between 5 and 10, but in reality the difference in the flow profiles between the viscosities for Australian temperatures is insignificant to warrant much debate.

So to keep it simple, Xw-Y

X is the viscosity at start up - COLD
    Y is viscosity under operating temperature (measured at 100 deg)

So unless you live in freezing cold climates or rev the crap out of your car when you start it up, you can run between 5-15w with nil problems - it's only valid for initial start up.

Once the engine is warm or at operating temp, value Y is the important one - higher Y = more viscous. If it's too low, it's too thin and if you're racing or something... you might not get enough lubrication leading to wear. Having a heavier oil is better for lubrication, but I believe it may impinge on fuel consumption and it may damage the oil pump as more viscous oil requires more pressure to push through thus again, consuming more power to pump.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    just got a bottle of mobil 1 5w30. lets see how it goessss

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    I use 10-60
    Funny that. I just came back from lunch now and had this on the bench at the auto shop ready to pay for this after this guy was recommending me to get this with his life. Just before I was about to pay, a bloke said that he used to work for Honda and that they ALWAYS used 5w30! and I explained to him that I have used it 3 times in the past and have always seen my oil level drop. So I was now even more confused than ever. I dedcided to try out Nulon Fully Synthetic 10W40 and see how that goes.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by VeYzZii View Post
    Your right AUS, but viscosity VS temp is linear..
    No it ain't. At least not in the 'Friction Modified' oils made for the last 40 years. How else do you explain the numbers on oil containers? 10w30 means the oil is more viscous (thicker) at 100 degrees than it is at -18.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    S2kjn - good choice. There is no way in he'll I'd use molasses like 60 weight oil in my car.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Was so closo to getting it as well! lol

-nuked-
    Last edited by string; 29-08-2014 at 08:12 PM.
    I have signatures turned off