Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Do you know if the mech used WD40 on the threads?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 & Jazz VTI...
    i dun tink its WD 40 coz the WD 40 can is so obvious. would have caught my attention. Its just other random degreaser/lubricant?? haha..

I reckon WD 40 gives me a chance. If not i will post up my actions next and see what to do next.

Tell me if any1 of u guys esp aaronng if u have any ideas.. thanks..

depsite having unequal rear setting. car corners rather well. Tats giving me hope.
    JDM Ek4 Squad Perth..
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi View Post
    Fact is you should get over ur EK4, cos its a POS FWD and its in the worse colour ever released.
    Get a real car then start bragging.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Degreaser and WD-40 are totally different and opposite. Degreaser removes oil and grease. It doesn't lubricate nor loosens rusted parts.

Use WD-40 and spray quite a bit on the threads near the ring you are trying to loosen. Then take an old toothbrush and brush the threads to get any sand out. After that, take a cloth and wipe the thread area clean. Spray more WD-40 and let it sit for a few minutes. Try to loosen the perch. If it still doesn't loosen, spray more WD-40 and let it sit for an hour. Try again after that. If it still doesn't work, spray WD-40, TIGHTEN the perch slightly instead and then try to loosen again. Tightening it can help break any cold welds. If it still doesn't work, spray more WD-40 and use a hammer with sharp hits (not too hard though, you only want to break the cold weld, not the perch).

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    Maybe try to heat the ring to expand it a bit if all else fails? Then clean/dry off depending on method of heating and spray WD40 and try to loosen before it cools down again.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by 02gzm View Post
    Maybe try to heat the ring to expand it a bit if all else fails? Then clean/dry off depending on method of heating and spray WD40 and try to loosen before it cools down again.
    I wouldn't use heat. It could damage the damper or crack the aluminium.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 & Jazz VTI...
    yeah.. aaronng thanks for advise. Will take off coilover and put back stock 1 into the car for tat side, and work on spraying WD40 etc,using ur method and bring to a sussy shop to try solving the problem eventually. cheers will keep u update.
    JDM Ek4 Squad Perth..
    Fact is you should get over ur EK4, cos its a POS FWD and its in the worse colour ever released.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I wouldn't drive the car with 3 coils and 1 stock suspension. Find another car to use in the meantime.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 & Jazz VTI...
    hmmm.. y wouldnt u(aaronng) do that? I am just driving it home after taking out the coilovers then driving there again to put back coilovers after i done it.

Coz i have no tools etc to take the coilovers out. Isit bad for the car etc or wat?
    JDM Ek4 Squad Perth..

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by VT1-R View Post
    hmmm.. y wouldnt u(aaronng) do that? I am just driving it home after taking out the coilovers then driving there again to put back coilovers after i done it.

Coz i have no tools etc to take the coilovers out. Isit bad for the car etc or wat?
    Having different spring rates on 1 corner would make the car unsafe to drive. If you are forced to, keep your speed to under about 40km/h.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 & Jazz VTI...
    reali!!!?? how unsafe?40km/hr abit difficult.. 60km/hr ok? I mean as long as i dun corner hard and keep cornering speed to bout 20km/hr should be fine?

My car ht is lower at left side for the rear while the rear right is higher and no problems cornering? Or its just the stock sussy n the cusco doesnt match. For same suspension(cusco), having 1 side lower or higher is still fine ????

Any other implications? haha. Playing with cars is getting troublesome and costly. haha..
    JDM Ek4 Squad Perth..

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    It's not good. Seriously, if you have to do that, drive slow and carefully. We don't want you coming back here and posting that you had an accident. I'd avoid freeways and take roads that you can drive slowly on.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    usually heat the component with an oxy torch but i wouldnt do that on a coilover so pretty much rules that out. Definately some WD40 or CRC and wire brush the thread.

instead of the hammer trick, get some long ass bar that will slide over the end of the tool that your using.

Leverage is your friend, less likely to damge the parts where the tool locates aswell. Sometimes works better than a hammer... Definately better than having 2 people trying to undo it, confuses me thinking what they were trying to do haha.. 2 qualified mechanics couldnt undo this?!? Wouldnt be going back there unless they are family/friends or something.

Ensure if your clamping it in a vice that you use soft jaws so you dont damage the coilover aswell!

I use the end on my trolley jack for an extension and i got like a big 2metre poll in the backyard if all else fails haha. Used it for my axle nuts lol. Bit of overkill but worked wonders and i didnt have to strain myself at all.

Good luck!!