Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: car idle

Member Array
    Car:
    180sx
    Yea but problem is only when its hot...
    Why would it not idle hunt when its cold if its just the TB gasket..

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Has the throttle adjustment (screw) ever been readjusted? Perhaps you need to revert it back to its factory position.
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    '92 EG Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996ek1 View Post
    Yea but problem is only when its hot...
    Why would it not idle hunt when its cold if its just the TB gasket..
    Well thats the reason that led me to believe that it wasn't the TB gasket. It would idle fine on cold start, but as soon as it reached operating temp it would start to hunt between 1000-1500rpm. It wouldn't hurt to replace the TB gasket with a new one, as the factory ones are pretty flimsy. When I took mine off the first time, it was in tatters. It's no surprise there'd be a leak in there somewhere. The chances of your TB being cracked or sensor malfunctioning are less likely than a bung gasket. Give that a shot and see how it goes.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
    Has the throttle adjustment (screw) ever been readjusted? Perhaps you need to revert it back to its factory position.
    If the idle adjustment screw has been touched, the only difference it would make is the idle would either be higher or lower obviously, but it won't affect it to a point where the idle is hunting or something has malfunctioned/failed to read something right. Though, it can sometimes trigger these sort of reactions from your comp if you suddenly adjust it not knowing that you have a bung sensor or gasket somewhere in the loop.
    Last edited by hayashi_1986; 23-01-2008 at 11:57 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    180sx
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
    Ive never touched it.
    Car was fine when i bought it,
    And for the next few months.

It was only once the car hadn't been used for a while it started..

Quote Originally Posted by hayashi_1986 View Post
    Well thats the reason that led me to believe that it wasn't the TB gasket. It would idle fine on cold start, but as soon as it reached operating temp it would start to hunt between 1000-1500rpm. It wouldn't hurt to replace the TB gasket with a new one, as the factory ones are pretty flimsy. When I took mine off the first time, it was in tatters. It's no surprise there'd be a leak in there somewhere. The chances of your TB being cracked or sensor malfunctioning are less likely than a bung gasket. Give that a shot and see how it goes.
    When i took my TB off the gasket looked perfect.
    Should i try take it off again, spray WD40 on it ( both sides right? ) then re-install it?
    Last edited by 1996ek1; 23-01-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '92 EG Civic VTi
    Give it some WD40, then see how it goes, though it shouldn't make much of a difference. Has it been replace since you've bought the car? Or ever for that matter? If it was stuck to the TB when you took it off, then it's likely it's still the original, and at this point pretty old. Is it orange 'ish in colour? Or yellow?

Member Array
    Car:
    180sx
    Its yellow in colour, although it looks good.

Yellow = faded, time for swap?

But i found a solution to my problem, if you give the accelerator a punch while its doing it, it goes away ???

Member Array
    Car:
    EG4
    i get the same problem where the idle just jumps up and down but ONLY when i turn on the air con..HrmM..

Member Array
    Car:
    180sx
    Yea ive heard of that before
    Solution is just remove the shit

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    As long as you can handle those 40 odd degree days in Melbourne...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '93 EG1 PRO-JECT
    http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259965

Troubleshooting Idle Problems - awesome info with heaps o pix n explanations ;D
    14.7psi = atmospheric pressure at sea level = NA!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeForce View Post
    Im using solid torque mounts as well. My seat vibrates so much it tickles the back of my balls lol

Member Array
    Car:
    '92 EG Civic VTi
    Nice link But yeah, if the gasket is yellow then it's the newer types. No probs with the gasket. If its a bright orange one like my D16Y1's, then it's likely to be fubbard. But you've got a yellow one so all good hehe.

The link that the fella above me posted seems like a good shot. Though now I'm starting to think its to do with some of your vacuum hoses. Headache!

Quote Originally Posted by VTEC@14.7psi View Post
    http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259965

Troubleshooting Idle Problems - awesome info with heaps o pix n explanations ;D

Member Array
    Car:
    180sx
    My idle issue is totally gone.
    I don't know how, or what....

It idle's perfect now, after about 1 month of it, up and down, real pain in the ass. Except it now idles abit lower then it used to i think ( i can't even hear it idle ) but doesn't sound like its struggling or anything, and im not complainging, its GONE!!

I was getting sick of everyone looking at me at the traffic lights because my car is loud

Some people even used to come next to me and rev their cars lol....