Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR

All About Headlights + Where to Buy Cheap!!!

Probably both a repost but thought i'd share again anyway:

A really good guide on lights + why blue lights suck donkey balls:
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...e/bad/bad.html

A really good source to purchase from that provides free international shipping:
    http://www.powerbulbs.com/index.asp

Current top products are:
    Philips Xtreme + 80%
    Osram Night Breaker +90% +10% Whiter

Search Keywords: Headlights, Light bulbs, H1, H2, H3, H4, H5, H6, H7, H8, H9, H10, H11, HB3, HB4, Light intensity, Light range, Light colour
    Last edited by dsp26; 03-12-2007 at 09:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Comparison of Philips vs Osram taken from www.hond-atech.com
    http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2139371&page=1

All pics:
    Left = Osram Night Breaker
    Right = Philips Xtreme

Bulb

Low Beam

High Beam

If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    i thought i was abt christmas lights for the house lol

the one on the left is brighter but too glary = less vision?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    oh ronald check out the 75cm 8.5 pound snapper
    <<==

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Quote Originally Posted by Samo View Post
    i thought i was abt christmas lights for the house lol

the one on the left is brighter but too glary = less vision?
    lol nah bro, would've been the wrong section

as per your comment, yes it is, but i researched the net and their overall low beam light pattern is generally the same according to the lighting graphs, but because the Osrams are whiter it sacrifices a bit of very up close to mid range low beam lighting.

If i had a decent camera i can prove that Daniel fellows statements too... i currently have a 6000K + blue filtered light in my left headlight and a standard yellow bulb in the left.... it is clearly evident especially on wet roads how crap blue filtered white halogens are. HID are obviously an exception as they are true pure white unfiltered.

I personally ordered the Xtremes for around AU$50 shipped from that site.... didn't wanna risk the blue-ish Osram tinge as I already have an appointment for noise/emissions test this friday

Quote Originally Posted by Samo View Post
    oh ronald check out the 75cm 8.5 pound snapper
    <<==
    yeah i was gonna ask coz i saw you post in another thread and noticed your avatar (your flathead was farking huge too!!).... and don't you dare tell me you caught that in NSW!!! i was up in QLD all of last week and man you were right, the fish are abundant there... like 100:1 compared to NSW. Although crab trapping at Newcastle/Stockton was fun and cheap too!!! you gotta tell me bout your fishing adventures sometime....
    Last edited by dsp26; 03-12-2007 at 09:59 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    the flattie was my 1st flathead abt 2 years ago in Logon river on south of brisbane.. it was 77cm .. but did wieigh it cos i didtnt have one then lol
    and i was using a $50 pens reel combo from k-mart .. but i was was so yummy .. had it on the bbq dat night .. also i caught my biggest whiting dat day ... just under 40cm ,..,, was thick as my forearm

the snapper we caught out in mud island a few km's outside of brisbane river
    was so excited dat day !!

back to topic ... i have stock yellow crappy globes cos they work fine for me
    and the blue holegons in my bro's dc2r arent much better .. just looks abit better than dull yellow :P

heres a pic for u

Last edited by Samo; 03-12-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    ^^^ZOMG!!! thought it was a pissy esky till i saw your feet... thats huge... thats like deep sea size mulloway!!! when we goin fishin?? i need to learn from a pro... and i wanna learn how you catch your live bait!!

oh and um.. to keep things on topic lol... try the powerbulbs site.. you'll be surprised how cheap all their bulbs are compared to buying here...... for the $50 i paid i even got the free philips parkers...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    havent fished for almost a whole year ... need to get back into it ..
    the gears getting rusty lol

got any spots we can got??

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 Civic EK
    Thanks for the comparison!

ps. Nice snapper!

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    I've tried both now and these are my conclusions (however I have aftermarket headlight housing, it also affects light pattern):

Philips X-Treme
    - Good Colour, very close to stock, still A TAD yellowish but noticably whiter
    - Exceptional Throw and Flood especially High Beam. This is a must have for country road drivers or wet+night blind people

OSRAM Nightbreakers
    - These are unbelievably white with no blue tinge at the bulb when on.
    - Better than any other so called HID Halogen white light available here in Aus, these don't actually diminish the shortrange light quality (anywhere near as much as the blue tinted ones)
    - These babies excel the most at highbeam, throws so far and sooo white!!
    - Definitely for those who like the bright white light look, except these are actually functional.

My Overall choice
    I am admittedly bordering on night blind when the roads are wet therefore cannot use white lights and prefer the yellower tinge. The Philips gave me the best all-round performance for what I needed, it has better short-range (low beam) lighting than the OSRAMS, however this may be a result of my night-blindness.

These are cheap both costing around AU$50 delivered from www.powerbulbs.com and arrived well packaged and undamaged within 5 Aussie working days. Even the other Philips range available from Autobarn/Supercheap for AU$100+ can be had here for around AU$40 delivered + you get the Philips white parkers FOR FREE with any purchase anyway!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 Civic EK
    Thanks so much your info's heaps useful- rep +1!

I'm going to put them in angel eye housings, so probably won't need the parker bulbs. Was wondering what bulbs EK1 foggies are.. perhaps they'd be worth changing too. Will definitely come in handy cos I do a fair bit of country roads.. the stock bulbs are pretty dim. I think I'm most likely going to get the Phillips offering from powerbulbs.. thanks for the site link too! You're a legend.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FD
    Here it is as requested by dsp26, to compare Phillips BlueVision and Xtreme Power:

Phillips BlueVision on the left and Phillips Xtreme Power on the right. You can see that Xtreme Power is definitely heaps brighter, but yellow compared to the BlueVision.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Osrams and when I do I'll compare that with the BlueVision as well and repost.
    Last edited by neo_phase; 06-05-2009 at 10:56 PM.
    • FML •