Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1 07

20 Inch Rims On A 15 Inch OEM

Just wondering how 20 inch rims (20/30/225) would work on a Honda Civic 2007 VTi 1.8 which came OEM with 15/195/65?

I've heard heaps of people on this forum who claim to have upgraded to this and claim its no trouble but I'm wondering how the smoothness of the ride would become? E.g. going over speedbumps, potholes and also the possible problem of rims bending and denting over potholes. I'm also wondering about if the 1.8 litre engine would become damaged from lugging the heavy 20s around, or even if it's capable opf pushing 20s. Anyone wanna shed some feedback?

Member Array
    Car:
    bmw
    ... waste of time putting 20's on a civic. but thats in my opinion so u dont have to go by it cos i prefer smaller wheels..

if u do.. say hello to the joys of scrubbing, no turning circle, and an uncomfy/unsmooth ride, and looking gay.

speedbumps - depends on what suspension u got?? best to slow down for them n e hows.. unless u got a 4wd
    potholes - everyone goes over them no matter what.. and it always hurts the poor car..
    rims bending - depends on how hard and how large or deep the pot hole is? and how small your tyre is and the angle u hit the pothole..

in answer to your question about can it drive normally.. yes it will drive but very slowly.. its just like carrying 4 people in your car.. therefore, more petrol needed to move the car which equals less kms per tank.

but still its up to u .. your car.. dont let n e one influence u, in the end its all up to u

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1 2006
    Hi Sabretooth,

I have just put 225\35\19 and i have lowered the back 25mm and the front 30mm and it fits fine. Im sure our civics can go 20" but try to get tyres which are 215 wide because mine are rubbing on the gaurds when the roads are uneven but it is still driveable. Remember the cost of tyres for 20" they are really expensive but if you got the cash go for it.

Here are some pics i have from the week end

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...D/PC012332.jpg

Member Array
    Car:
    Shitty Rail
    it'll be a stiffer ride due to the thinner tyre walls...

the thing about big rims, u wanna babysit these wheels so that they remain in pristine condition...no more taking the speed humps at 15kmh's...

ur motor is more than adequate to haul these rims around...
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    SOHC VTEC = great fuel consumption!
    DOHC VTEC = what fuel consumptioBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
    "A religious war is like children fighting over who has the strongest imaginary friend"

Member Array
    Car:
    bmw
    frost_fd.. nice car

is that the lowest u can go without having your tyres hitting the guards? when hitting bumps or going around round a bouts..??

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1 07
    hey frost, is that 225 thickness of tyre only rubbing cause u lowered ur car 30mm? I lowered mine about 15mm, and am wondering if I got 19s with 225s if they would rub like yours?

Also, can I see some more pics of ur car with the 19s? Just have a few questions:

How does the ride feel? how do you cope when you go into the country or gravel roads? How do you insure a car which illegally has 2 rim sizes too big? How often do you have to replace those 35 profile tyres?

I've been reading on 8thGenHondaCivic forums that people reckon an upgrade to 19s or 20s on this Honda would screwup various parts of the engine/rotors/manifold, anyone have any thoughts?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic FD1 2006
    Well the rubbing on my car is bearable, just dont go around coners at high speeds and avoid uneven roads, this is where it rubs either then that its fine.

Yes it is illegal to go more the 2 sizes up but you can always say you had 17" on them but i dont think it really matters just aslong as your car isnt too low to the ground.

There is plenty of ground clearance putting 19" on my car and lowering it 30mm.

And for engine wise.. i think its fine you just pulling more weight so more petrol

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3, FD1, FN2R
    i have 19s on my FD, and its fine.
    in terms of fuel i get 500km a tank.
    power- its fine for day to day drive.
    handling- a little more shiff, but reduced understeer. turning circle is not that much affected.
    no rubbing at all, becasue i rolled and flare the gruads out a bit.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2K, 07 CIVIC
    Quote Originally Posted by ekdez View Post
    ... waste of time putting 20's on a civic. but thats in my opinion so u dont have to go by it cos i prefer smaller wheels..

if u do.. say hello to the joys of scrubbing, no turning circle, and an uncomfy/unsmooth ride, and looking gay.
    i think ur overstateing some issues there. unless ur being a little bitch about every little thing on your car.

Member Array
    Car:
    s15... corolla
    yeah more weight, and maybe low profile tyres im assuming .. may cause buckle in ur rims on some crappy roads

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by cristian View Post
    it'll be a stiffer ride due to the thinner tyre walls...

the thing about big rims, u wanna babysit these wheels so that they remain in pristine condition...no more taking the speed humps at 15kmh's...

ur motor is more than adequate to haul these rims around...
    you take speedhumps at 15kmh?? i take them at like 30km/h LOL. i think i should baby my new 18s

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK Ferio Sedan
    I have 97 Ek sedan with 19" .. no problem at all.. even with passangers at the back.
    I have custom superlow King springs and Koni shock n rolled rear guards.
    No problem with full turning circle..