Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Track Dayz

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a

Track Dayz

Hi Guys.I'm Psyching up to track my car next February but,well,I got this fear (since my car is a daily) that something will f**k up and I'll be stranded at the track.I'm obviously doing everything I possibly can to eliminate the chance of something going wrong.Chances are something will go wrong so I'm asking if you could tell me what sort of thing should I be prepared for i.e. common things that go wrong.This way I can try to learn how to fix them before next february.
    My car 96 EK1 Civic Sedan D16y4 SOHC Non-Vtec.

P.S. I have lists of things to do on how to prepare for track days so more after things that go wrong

Given that is seems like your car is barely modded, and that its your first time.... IMO a general replacement of fluids is all you will need.

Only thing I would probably suggest to splurge on would be some good brake fluid... even if you are using stock'ish pads, and change engine oil again once you get back home.

Don't bother spending dickloads when its a DD just for the track is my moto

Have fun BTW
    DLUG Racing

Member Array
    Car:
    EF Civic track car
    Man i have been racing my street driven civic and crx for 6-7 years now. I drove them to the track every time. All i take down there is a jack, some tools (spanners mainly), a set of tyres (so you don't f@#k the ones you drove down on), some extra coolant, extra engine oil, and rags. thats about it i think.
    I have never scratched or crashed the car on a track day. The only little problem that i have had down there was the car started to over heat a little because the coolant was leaking out. I missed one run but after a little stuffing around i got out for the next one.

The only thing that i will suggest to you is that you drive within your limits and your cars limits. If you go out there thinking that you are going to be the fastest thing out there you WILL make a mistake.

I was watching a hill climb at Mt Cotton recently, and a guy driving a Evo 8 lancer (who was a unreal driver, he had won the Datton rally in the same car) worth around $120,000 i've since been told. Went out on the track having never driven there before thinking he was the shit and that you could drive fast there straight away, second corner he got wide and put the power down trying to get the car back into line, ended up lossing it, just missed a tree head on, hit a ripple strip and rolled the car 2 times (completely wrote the car off). All because he didn't try to get used to the track.

Mate work your way up to it, sus your car out, sus the track out and don't try anything stupid and you will have a great great time. look forward to hear how you go with it.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro boat
    Quote Originally Posted by intacivic16v View Post
    I was watching a hill climb at Mt Cotton recently, and a guy driving a Evo 8 lancer (who was a unreal driver, he had won the Datton rally in the same car) worth around $120,000 i've since been told. Went out on the track having never driven there before thinking he was the shit and that you could drive fast there straight away, second corner he got wide and put the power down trying to get the car back into line, ended up lossing it, just missed a tree head on, hit a ripple strip and rolled the car 2 times (completely wrote the car off). All because he didn't try to get used to the track.
    I know which Evo your referring to as he is a regular out at QR

On topic

Along with what's been said, just be wary if your engine is old and/or has had a hard life ...

Bringing it to the track and thrashing it is not going to do it any favours.

Getting the best set of tyres you can afford will also help you have a more enjoyable track day, and as with any Honda weight is not your friend. So take out any excess gear that you have in there and even unbolt gear like back seats and passenger seats.

If you are in Brisbane there is a group of us that regularly go out to QR Sprints
    Hipower Racing EG - 60.82 !!! QR Sprint course
    My EG4 + JDM B18C powered Civic SOLD !

I took my car to track for the first time a few months back. Gave it a good work out, but on the way back i noticed a lot of vibration in the front end. I took it to the mechanic and it turned out that both my drive shaft boots had broke and all the greese had come out, making them dry. Luckily there was no actual damage done, just had them repacked and sealed and back to normal.

Trust me mate, it is the most fun u will have in your car. except maybe sex, actually maybe the track is still better.

Do it!!
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Haha,I will I'm so keen.Thanks guys
    I'm on the Gold Coast so I would love to come to the QR with you guys
    I've been checking out the sprints that you guys have been chatting about.Looks mad fun.With the practice run is it the same track set up as the sprint track?

Mods to my car:
    I/H/E
    MSD Ignition System
    FPR
    Grounding Kit
    King Springs with stock struts
    All 4 strut bars
    Energy suspension engine mounts
    Cusco brake stopper
    Cold air ducting for intake

Soon:
    Energy Suspension Master bushing kit
    EBC Brake pads
    DIY Pod filter cold air box
    Front and Rear swaybars
    Floor Brace
    Trunk (boot) brace
    Edit: Braided Brake lines

What brake fluid would you recommend? I'm currently using Honda fluids.Should I upgrade the oil aswell?
    Last edited by beeza; 06-12-2007 at 08:52 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    04' Accord Euro
    Most of the important things have been said...

Check / change fluids.

No loose items in the car (remove everything from the glovebox, boot etc-).

A critical one is tyre pressure... it is better to over inflate them... try atleast 40psi. I heard a story a month back about a guy that rolled an M3 at QR, they found out he only had 12psi in his tyres (may have been tyre). To make it worse it was his mum's car, to make it even worse again he told her he was going to the library to study for uni.

Dont try to go flat out straight away, let the tyres warm up and learn the track, my g/f made the mistake of going into turn one at 140kmh on her first lap... very possible but not when the tyres are cold... she had a spin and ended up in the kitty litter (luckily she was able to get out without any trouble).

Dont expect to get a great time on your first outing... dont try pushing for it cause thats when something will happen.

Keep an eye on your temperature and fluids throughout the day... if you start to overheat on the track, turn your heater on.

Oh and most importantly... HAVE FUN.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro boat
    Quote Originally Posted by luxobarge View Post
    Most of the important things have been said...
    A critical one is tyre pressure... it is better to over inflate them... try atleast 40psi. I heard a story a month back about a guy that rolled an M3 at QR, they found out he only had 12psi in his tyres (may have been tyre).

Oh and most importantly... HAVE FUN.
    Well actually you shouldn't over inflate them ...

When the tyres heat up the pressure within them increases.

So it's important to set the cold pressure accordingly so when they reach peak track temperature they are at a pressure which provides optimum grip.
    Hipower Racing EG - 60.82 !!! QR Sprint course
    My EG4 + JDM B18C powered Civic SOLD !

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    How much would tire pressure increase to if your running a semi-slick. (Ie how much of a gain in PSI)

Member Array
    Car:
    96" VTIR Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by intacivic16v View Post

lol i was there that day and i dont know what you seen but that guy was an idiot he left the track half way down the first hill. The ripple strip did roll him but he was well out of controll by then. Also that wasnt his first run on the track.
    Last edited by ek4-guy; 05-12-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    04' Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRVspec95 View Post
    Well actually you shouldn't over inflate them ...

When the tyres heat up the pressure within them increases.

So it's important to set the cold pressure accordingly so when they reach peak track temperature they are at a pressure which provides optimum grip.
    Yeah ofcourse, i agree with all that.

But chances are being new to the track he is not going to know what is an ideal pressure for his rubber/driving style etc- in which case it is far better to over inflate than under inflate.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Sorry bout' da questions but....
    1.With the practice run is it the same track set up as the sprint track?
    2.What brake fluid would you recommend? I'm currently using Honda fluids.
    3.Should I upgrade the oil aswell?
    4.Will I need to change the front and rear camber? I'm going from 205/40/17 to 195/55/15.