Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

squeel/air noise coming from engine bay in EM1

Ok so it is sort of hard to explain but there is sort of a squeel/air sound that is coming from somehwere in my engine bay.

It only happens when my foot is just less than half throttle or at about 5hg on my vaccume gauge. it is annoying because it is fairly loud and it happens at pretty much the throttle point your foot is at for everyday driving.

doesn't matter how fast u are going either, as long as my foot is somewhere around half throttle it make that squeeling sound. (sort of sounds like a real dodgy turbo) and no i am not turbo.

I have changed air filters and no effect, i have disconnected my whole intake system and re-connected it and no change, i had my throttlebody cleaned and no change...

It has been doing it for ages now and am pretty sure it started to make the noise when i got my 5zigen headers put on. I have had the exhaust changed a few times to and still it is there.

I am sure it wasn't therte for the first year i owned the car.

Does anyone else have this noise or am i the only one, WAT IS IT!!
    WINTON PB: 1:36.30
    WAKEFIELD PB: 1:07.59
    Supported by: Hybrid Racing + Hardrace Australia
    MSC Performance FTW

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    hrmm...maybe you have a leak in your exhaust?

the only other annoying squeel that i can think of is due to the wiring of your audio setup?
    ++ mrwillz fan club ++

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    i really think is the air filter, i have it to due to the after market pod air filter, the noice comes whenever i step on the gas.

Member Array
    Car:
    ek
    im sure you would know the diff between your noise and the whistle from your air filter..

i would say a leaking exhaust aswell.

the static noise from your audio system can be heard while on idle aswell.. it would almost sound like your car is supercharged.. but its more of a whistle than air blowing noise
    12.949 @ 107.71mph
    2.063 60ft on Advan AD08
    EKK20A 142.9kw on 98ron

its not called stance if you're on spacers..

It is deffinately not my stereo but, yeah a leak in the exhaust sounds like the most likely cause, becuase it started when i had my new exhaust put in. I have changed the pod to a different one and the noise is still there so yeah. I will get it checked out.

Also would a small leak in the exhaust be effecting performance at all?

Thanks,
    -Mike
    MSC Performance FTW

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    civic
    i had similar problem last week when i put my 5 zigen extractors in.. found the gasket between cat and extractors was leakin so got new one n that fixed it

but i think definately exhaust leak

Member Array
    Car:
    04 S2k + track spec EG
    Does it happen at idle? My EG makes a weird squeeling sound, and it is not from the extractors. Mine seems to come from behind the instrument cluster, like maybe near the master cylinder maybe. Never checked it though, mostly laziness.

nope, doesn't happen at idle, only when the pedal is pressed about half throttle. doesn't matter wat speed. i will get it checked out.
    MSC Performance FTW

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    get a workshop to throw it up on a hoist and start it up

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Mine does it all the time as well. The sound appears to be coming from the pod. I couldn't really be bothered to fix it as the whistle is pretty cool.

i am getting it checked out tomorrow so we will see, the whistle is starting to anoy me more and more...
    MSC Performance FTW

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Mine makes a bit of a whistle it a certain throttle point. I just put it down to air passing by the throttle plate at a certain angle making the noise.

It was only audible once I put a pod filter on it. The stock airbox muffles the sound completely.
    FN2R