Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000

clickety click NOISES !?!?

hi all
    hoping somebody may have had this problem before and could give me some insight before i start to investigate it.

i get a crunchy / clicking noise mostly on initial take off either in reverse or forwards, although sitting in the drive i tested it a little like this

1st time forwards it made the noise, 2nd time forwards no noise.
    went into reverse and it made the noise again and then back into forwards and noise happens again and vice versa.

has anybody had anything similar to this ?
    every time i touch myself another emo dies
    damn it pants UNZIPPPPPPP

search is your friend... -_-"

i dont even have a s2000 and i know what the problem is.
    not going to tell you soo you learn how to use the search feature.
    It goes like a Zyrtec... I mean Vtec.

okay okay i feel bad lol!

its ur diff, when was the last time you changed your diff fluids? lol
    if i were you id stop driving the car till you have it checked out by a proper mech. before you do some serious damage.

^
    and you used the search feature? rofl

anyways back ontopic

does it actually crunch or does it click into gears.
    maybe you're just paranoid? could just be the sound when your gear clicks in.

have you tested other manual cars/ s2000's?
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

lol damn right i used the search feature, thats what its there for.
    sounds like its happening from starts and stops, classic diff problem. best get it checked out by a mech.

a few things you might want to try though is

1. bleed the clutch fluid to see if theres any air in it.
    2. replace the diff fluids.

other then that get it checked by a mech asap. if it is the diff your causing more damage as you wait.

tighten your rear axel nut. the 36mm one. i had the exact same noise and that got rid of it

Member Array
    Car:
    s2k
    same problem as me only when i reverse slowly then slightly push the brake it makes a click and thats about it

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000
    thanks for the info guys, cheapest and easyest 1st, ill tighten the axle nuts, then go from there.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    Quote Originally Posted by ILUS1V View Post
    thanks for the info guys, cheapest and easyest 1st, ill tighten the axle nuts, then go from there.
    S2K is RWD so its not likely that tightening your Hub nuts will do anything.

Quickest check is to ensure there isnt something leaning on the tailshaft..
    I seen the mechanics at work get an apprentice by putting a cable tie around the driveshaft and it clicked like crazy when driving around haha.

There could be something like a bit of exhuast shield or something leaning against the tailshaft causing it to make noises.

Also check there isnt something in your tyre, a rock or something can make this clicking noise.

They are quick easy checks that will cost you nothing other than a quick look. Who knows, you may find the issue as something as simple as a rock in the tyre..

From there check the diff fluid and possibly take it to the mechanics for further inspection.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000
    its like a TENSION / TORQUE issue, the car can be sitting still and the noise can still be heard by making th car SQUATT.
    as today passes i should find the issue (hopefully)

its deffinantly not a rock in the tyre hehe, or cable ties, being a mechanic myself ive seen this stunt pulled aswell, its the ultimate for LULZ but its not that here either hehehe

also keeping in mind guys this car is on 40,000 kms old

some other things ive found
    it does not seem to do it after sitting over night but will make the noise after a short drive.
    its not a crunching noise of gears or anything like that as its too lightly pitched.
    immagine you have a nail and a small piece of tinand you clip the edge of the tin with the nail a few times a second, except its a lil louder than that but same type of noise
    Last edited by ILUS1V; 29-12-2007 at 01:24 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG
    shocks/springs possibly

The noise is coming from your driveshafts splines,to fix it properly remove the outer joints and clean up the hub,apply grease the the splines and replace the nuts with new one.guarantied to fix the problem.probably not just a good idea to tighten them, should have it done properly.