Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MAP Sensors

well, it is funny you should say that you dont know what it does - considering you have seen the raw code from the ECU's

if in fact ECU-MAN is correct (i dont see why he wouldnt be, i simply had heard Honda decided not to use BARO sensors in Aust. due to lack of any mountains) and Aussie Hondas do have the BARO sensor then the ECU's do actually *compare* the outside air to the MAP signal and use this as an altitude correction function in determining injector PW's...

so for your info - the BARO does not function as a back up to the MAP sensor - how could it? it is not even connected to the intake manifold...

and it is exactly the same as the MAP sensor in its reference voltages as it is the same type of sensor.
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Snap Happy! Array
    Car:
    ER34
    Quote Originally Posted by ProECU
    its an absolute sensor because it is relative to atmosphetic pressure

ie, stock MAP sensor reads 1000mbar = 1Bar is still not boost.
    anything over this is boost. That because the first 1000mbar is atmosphetic.
    so is it possible for a N/A car to produce over 1bar? (boost).
    ClubITR.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by fueltank
    so is it possible for a N/A car to produce over 1bar? (boost).
    yes, through a carefully designed intake and only when the car is moving (probably rapidly)...

it is much easier to do this for motorbikes, these commonly have Ram-air induction...
    B20VTEC - since 2002

hmmm i never thought about it like that dave.

to be honest i dont see how it could create a pressure greater than 100kpa because there is no other force besides the atmo pressure creating the induction into the engine.

but im not saying its not impossible. wanna explain how it becomes greater than atmo pressure without another force exerting compaction or compression?

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    Tinkerbell
    I find it interesting how you can comment with such confidence as to the operation of the BARO sensor when you have no clue what a MAP sensor is.

NO offence intended here, but, Get a clue my friend, you contradict yourself above when you mention the BARO & MAP share the same reference voltages. Why would they share same voltages but have different operation.

Stop posting false information to the masses if you clearly do not know for certain.

For those who are interetsted, here is a segment of the code detailing the MAP & BARO definitions
    F5 A4 : LB A, A4 ; Load Baro (as Backup MAP)
    EA 12 05 : JBS off 12.2, 0A15 ; jmp if MAP error
    EC 12 02 : JBS off 12.4, 0A15 ; jmp if MAP error
    F5 A7 : LB A, A7
    8A : STB A, R2
    60 00 70 : MOV X1, #7000 ; MAP constants

FACT: some Australian delivered cars DO have BARO sensors. Ive seen them in OBD2
    FACT: BARO is a backup for the MAP sensor
    FACT: NA cars can see boost ONLY when volumetric efficiency is greater than 100%

This is my evidence to support my claim, where is yours?

Regards
    ProECU

taken from tech2tech.net:

All Rights Reserved 2000 Sure Seal Products Inc
    This manual printed 4/9/00 from the file pgmfiobd_002.
    14 MAP / BARO Sensors
    14.1 General Overview
    The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor and the barometric pressure (BARO) sensor are virtually identical sensors. One reports intake manifold pressure information to the engine control module (ECM) and one reports atmospheric pressure information to the ECM. They both use the same pressure-sensing component and therefore will indicate the same voltage when both are measuring the same pressure, such as key on/engine off (KOEO).
    Both these sensors report the values in absolute pressure to a scan tool. Absolute pressure is just another way to measure vacuum. Absolute pressure uses a total vacuum as its base and therefore our normal environment is considered a pressure.
    The pressure unit is in inches of mercury (HG) just like vacuum. The result is that the absolute pressure readings are similar to vacuum readings except the values are opposite. A high absolute pressure reading means a lower vacuum.

Now that you are totally confused, let me make a suggestion. Forget vacuum readings and absolute pressure readings and just use the input voltages to monitor the engine vacuum. You can see from the table that the MAP input voltage at idle,
    no load, should be .95 volts. Remember that number, it is one of the critical numbers that you will need to memorize. If the MAP voltage is just under 1 volt at
    idle, with no load, the engine vacuum is right. So, why not just use a vacuum gauge? A digital volt-ohm meter (DVOM) hooked onto the MAP or BARO sensor input wire is the most accurate way to measure the engine vacuum. Most vacuum gauges are not very accurate and the input voltage is the signal that the ECM monitors. Regardless of what your vacuum gauge reads you will need to check the
    sensor by checking the input voltage anyway.
    When a Honda is running extremely rich or lean, always check the MAP sensor input voltage first. Chapter 7 is dedicated to the MAP sensor / injector PW relationship.

14.2 How Do They Work?
    The MAP/BARO sensors are standard 5-volt reference sensors. The ECM applies approximately 5.0 volts and a ground to the sensor on two wires and a third wire returns to the ECM an input voltage, as shown in Illustration 14-1.
    The normal MAP input voltage is approx. .9 volt at idle, with no load. At wide-open throttle under a load or KOEO the voltage should be close to 2.75 volts or the same as the BARO sensor voltage. The normal BARO input voltage is approximately 2.75 volts. This will vary slightly depending on your elevation and the atmosphere's barometric pressure.
    B20VTEC - since 2002

so how does the BARO back up the MAP from inside the glovebox?
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    like i said earlier, I do not know EXACTLY how it operates, and I dont have a datasheet of the MAP or BARO sensors to comment further.

I ask you this, why do all manuals group these two sensors together?
    Why does the code group these together?

As a stretch, why can G-sensors be mounted inside the car and give a reading also?

I dont have the answers, Perhaps you can enlighten us all !
    Last edited by ProECU; 24-08-2004 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ProECU
    I know for a fact that the BARO sensor is used in the code as a backup to the MAP sensor when there is a problem with the MAP sensor.

I dont actually know what the BARO does, exactly, however it must function similar to the MAP based purely from what ive seen in the code.
    see my friend - you might need to get a clue,

if you are basing your comments COMPLETELY on your *interpretation* of the code,

and i am basing it on what someone else has written - and accords with commonsense.

whilst i completely admit that i may have been wrong in this thread, maybe it is my turn to be right about the BARO?
    B20VTEC - since 2002

nice info tinker. question: The baro is limited to atmo level pressure ie anything less than 100kpa, 1000mbar or 1 bar absolute as u can tell that it takes inches of mercury as its reading? Or can the baro read above inches of mercury and take above 100kpa?

btw, im still thinking about how the NA engine can see "boost" without an externally generated force that makes the cylinder take above 100% VE. Theoretically, I dont see how.

Not having a go at ya dave, just asking. i think its great we having this talk

Banned Array
    Car:
    Gen3 CRX
    You are not right about the BARO!

thanks for that, what would you like to be enlightened about that is not contained in the excerpt copied from the tech2tech site?

it says they are the same sensor, and measure the same thing, and are used to trim the PW of the injectors, but the MAP has the most biggest influence on PW by far...
    B20VTEC - since 2002