Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    07 Civic Vti

Who has an accurate speedo?

I checked my speedo at two different speedo checks on the hume hmy last week, and both times to register at 100kph I had to travel at 106kph on the Civic speedo..

I am in a 2007 Vti but with the Vti-L wheels.. I am curious is this normal and can they actually adjust it (i.e. is it worth bringing up at the next service)?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    It's normal. Happens to almost all cars except the really expensive ones with precise speedometers.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Js Racing Time Attack DC5
    Manufacturers build these tolerances into their speedos. Whether it be to allow for fatigue or so people cannot blame the car for speeding fines.

Volkswagen have a 6% - tolerance which appears to be about the same as your Honda.

Yeppers. Both my cars are around the same... 106km on speedo = 100kms on gps. Ones a Honda (w00t) and the other a ford.

Member Array
    Car:
    MX83 cressida
    Get a GPS with speed reading, these are very accurate, so long as you hold a speed for a length of time, say freeway driving.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    07 Civic Vti
    mm that sucks, the advantage of the digital speedo was easy to see and spot on reading, so thats out the window :-/ Well I guess I just have to calculate 6% on the speed limit.. no point doing 94kmh on the freeway.. LOL

Would also throw out the distance travelled? so when my car says 100,000km it is actually 94,000km???

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by Joele View Post
    mm that sucks, the advantage of the digital speedo was easy to see and spot on reading, so thats out the window :-/ Well I guess I just have to calculate 6% on the speed limit.. no point doing 94kmh on the freeway.. LOL

Would also throw out the distance travelled? so when my car says 100,000km it is actually 94,000km???
    No. Odometers run off a different system.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    07 Civic Vti
    Quote Originally Posted by m0nty ITR View Post
    ahh cool, well thats something at least..

Member Array
    Car:
    MX83 cressida
    Quote Originally Posted by m0nty ITR View Post
    YEAH, BUT WHO SAYS THEY GOT THAT RIGHT IF THEY CAN'T GET THE SPEEDO RIGHT, I THINK HE HAS A POINT, WHO HAS EVER TESTED THEIR ODOMETER?!?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I have tested my odometer/tripmeter using the signs on the freeway, and I can tell you that Joele's concern is REAL.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    There would be massive implications for manufacturers if odometer readings were incorrect. Any person that has ever signed a disposal form could file class action against them. Not to mention incorrect car values thanks to odometer errors. That's one thing that manufacturers need to be spot on.

Member Array
    Car:
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    I have tested my odometer/tripmeter using the signs on the freeway, and I can tell you that Joele's concern is REAL.
    I wouldn't trust those either. They're fitted by public servants after all.