Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jdm dc2r advanced timing!!!

Hey guys, i just got my mate to do an advance timing on my jdm dc2r, just enough for it to not ping. I feel as though it pulls a little better. Could someone tell me if they have done this before or am i just dreaming?

cheers guys

in my da9 got a new dizzy/coils and when they put it back in they didnt have timing advanced as much as it was and i felt a big difference took it back they advanced the timing and felt a big difference

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    in my da3 integar d16a 1.6 dohc........i had the timing fully advanced and didnt ping.... at first i thought no difference... but after a while once returning timing back to stock it was a huge difference..........lol
    but i havnt tried it on my dc2r ............im a bit scared to stuff it.........lol

Member Array
    Car:
    Lotus Exige
    i think if you run advanced timing might wanna run better fuel so it doesnt ping.

Member Array
    Car:
    MY08 WRX G3
    err wats advanced timing?

Member Array
    Car:
    96 Integra
    how would u know if ur car is pinging? or even advanced timing

check your engine block.
    easily can tell if your car's timings been advanced if you're looking at the right part. lol

my mate got his timing advanced on his vti-R (audm spec) and said the response is better, but it idles higher, then he went on talking about tuning blah blah..
    '12 PWP Tree Hugging Machine
    '99 GPW S2000
    '99 CW DC2R

Quote Originally Posted by G-Stick View Post
    how would u know if ur car is pinging? or even advanced timing

Not sure but i was told that it'll bog a lil when trying to accelerate, or it'll make some weird popping noises. My mate was telling me something about spark burning fuel better blah blah or soemthing like that. I adjusted mine 18 degrees supposibly this is safe running on 98 octane.

Car feels much much better in response/and on high rpms.

=)

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8 - Fastest F
    tell if a car is advance?

use a timing light.. the only real way.

Yup and also the timing light was used =)

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    Quote Originally Posted by dslt View Post
    Hey guys, i just got my mate to do an advance timing on my jdm dc2r, just enough for it to not ping. I feel as though it pulls a little better. Could someone tell me if they have done this before or am i just dreaming?

cheers guys
    yes your car will perform better by advancing the timing (to a point of course).
    I recommend that if you are using this car as your daily driver you use atleast 95 octane fuel to help ensure it doesnt ping and for the same reason avoid heavy loads on the engine eg. 4th going up a hill. Pre-ignition (pinging) occurs well before the human ear can hear it,by the time you can hear it,it is doing damage. Sure some will say that pinging causes damage but its over a long period of time so its not so bad,but its best to be on the safe side.
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Member Array
    Car:
    2000 dc2r
    Quote Originally Posted by GIPONU View Post
    err wats advanced timing?
    Advancing the timing is when you have the sparks firing a little earlier then what they would on a normal setup

Generally you want the spark igniting just after top dead centre, if you can visualise all 4 cylinders, you may be able to imagine the problems that may occur if you have the sparks igniting before top dead center. it puts backwards pressure on the pistons, not good for the engine.

Sometimes when you're using a lower octane, the heat of it all makes the fuel ignite before top dead centre, this is called pre-ignition, or (ping) for short. this places the abnormal strain on the pistons/rods/crank, and something has to give way, generally its a the hole in the piston that eleviates this pressure.

Other reasons to advance your timnig is that when the car is running higher rpm's sometimes you need to adjust the timing so that its firing just right, the result is sometimes at the loss of lower rpm smoothness. doing this generally upsets the low rpm idiling, making it a bit rough, but better for the higher rpms.

To all the guys that advanced their timing, and then noticed the huge loss when they undid their advancing, hmmm, might be damage from when you advanced timing, and only noticed the damage when you tried to revert back???? possibility