Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying 17's

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Civic VTI

Buying 17's

Hi all,

After I got my Civic in Dec 06 I put some nice 15's on it to replace the ugly steel wheel/plastic cover combination. Now I am tired of the 15inch look and I am kicking myself a bit for not buying bigger. At the time I didnt want to fork out for tyres as well so I only went the 15's..

As the time is approaching to replace the tyres I am thinking of getting a set of 17's.

I plan on getting the same wheels I have now but in the 17' x 7.5" size, as I think the look is really good though despite the size. After checking the size to maintain same overall rolling diameter I need to put 225/45/17 tyres on them.

2 questions then arise - 1. Will 225's rub against anything (my car is NOT lowered). I have read different stories on this after searching.

And 2. if anyone else has the same combination what sort of pricing are these size tyres worth (just roughly).

thanks

Shouldn't have any clearance issues if your stock rim size is 15"..... the tyre price will vary.. beginning from around $100ea and upwards depending on the brand.

1. It will only rub if you get the incorrect offset - if you dont know what offset is, do more research before buying.

2. $100 is pretty unrealistic. Well, $100 may get you cheap chinese imports which usually come 'complimentary' with alloy purchases. I paid $260 a corner for my yokohama S drives in the same size. Expect to pay anywhere from $180 (lower to middle class) to $350 (super premium stuff) per tyre.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Civic VTI
    Yeah spoke to some tyre shops $150 a tyre for really dodgy tyres in 225/45/17 or more realistically $270 - $300 a tyre for something good.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Civic VTI
    Quote Originally Posted by SiReal View Post
    1. It will only rub if you get the incorrect offset - if you dont know what offset is, do more research before buying.

2. $100 is pretty unrealistic. Well, $100 may get you cheap chinese imports which usually come 'complimentary' with alloy purchases. I paid $260 a corner for my yokohama S drives in the same size. Expect to pay anywhere from $180 (lower to middle class) to $350 (super premium stuff) per tyre.
    Just had a look at the S Drives, they look very nice, how do you find them? Noise? Handling, Wear?

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    Falken FK-452's. Best bang for your buck tyre @ about $150ish per corner. Assuming you dont want to spend $330ish for Yoko's.

Why go 17"? I regret buying 18" should have gone 19".. lol.. For tyres, how about the Hankook range? they are reasonably priced and are pretty good.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Civic VTI
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepolian View Post
    Falken FK-452's. Best bang for your buck tyre @ about $150ish per corner. Assuming you dont want to spend $330ish for Yoko's.
    Nice looking tyre as well, what are they like against brands like yokohama and in particular the S Drive?

No point in paying $150 if they are no good, if they are as good as theS drives then that a different story.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Civic VTI
    Quote Originally Posted by jckidz View Post
    Why go 17"? I regret buying 18" should have gone 19".. lol.. For tyres, how about the Hankook range? they are reasonably priced and are pretty good.
    Cos I think the 19's are way too big and comfort would suffer. Also the cost of tyres jumps up dramatically.

18's would probably look ok but cost would be an issue. I would be happy with 17's.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    have a look on these sites on the falkens.

http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews...e_reviews.html

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publis...ken_fk452.html

And no, I dont not sell tyres for falken. Reason I am saying is that I have always used Yoko Advans and B/Stone RE's and I think the Falkens are the best, if you are buying on a budget. Just remember that you can have a set for the price of less than two top end tyres.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Civic VTI
    Nepolian thanks for the info, I will definately be looking at them as an option.

what do you guys think of the stock 17s from the sport version. worth getting those?