Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: clutch

Smile

hey guys i'm also in need of a new clutch and i'm thinking of going with Spoon with a lighter flywheel. The guys are quoting 950 for clutch plus 700 for flywheel. I was wondering what your opinions are on this clutch and pricing. I'm looking to do it really soon.

I'm also looking to get either Injen CAI and Mugen sports exhaust. My main next mod however is changing final drive to 4.77 ratio. Will I need to change my clutch again later after I do this? Reason I ask is because I will just get the parts that I need NOW rather than buy a clutch now and another one later after I do other upgrades.

I hope you guys can help with this.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Those upgrades aren't enough to warrant anything other than the stock clutch.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I'd rather Exedy HD and an Exedy lightweight flywheel. You'll be able to get that cheap and install it at a price much lower than the Spoon stuff.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Quote Originally Posted by AusS2000 View Post
    Those upgrades aren't enough to warrant anything other than the stock clutch.
    Oh ok thanks. So, what upgrades would warrant a different clutch? Do you mean FI?

Btw, my brother says hi. His nick was pechs2k...

S2Krazy Array
    Ahhhh Bill's brother. Last time I spoke with him, he said you wanted an S2000.

'Grats on the buy.
    --------------------------------------
    PM's Turned Off

Prelude - Sold.
    S2000 - Sold.
    NSX - Sold.
    F355 - Coming...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    S2000
    imho depends on your situation, dont fix it if it aint broke-- having said that save the dollars for better quality higher grade products.
    every time i touch myself another emo dies
    damn it pants UNZIPPPPPPP

Yeah Billy's brother. And thanks for the congrats. Initially I was going to get a EM1 and turbo that but I'm so glad I ended up getting the S. Awesome car...

Anyhow, the clutch is dead, slips severely whenever I apply any pressure other than what's needed for the car to move forward so I definitely need a new clutch. Basically, I'm at the point where I need to get a new clutch but I don't want to end up buying one and have to change it later on because it can't handle the power.

I'm not planning on putting a turbo or supercharging, right now plans are just as I mentioned before, changing final drive, exhaust and intake.

Btw, why Exedy? I saw you mention earlier Exedy HD is around $800 why not just go Spoon? What's the difference in quality and why would anyone go Spoon if you can get the same thing from Exedy for a little less money?

Oh and btw, ILUSIV, do you mean that I shouldn't go Spoon and save up for something better?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Hey Spidey, nice to meet you. And say hi to Pech for me too.

Exedy make the OEM clutch and any clutch that has the same style pressed steel pressure plate will be made by Exedy and rebadged. It's a patented design.

Really the only reason people go with Spoon is the brand name. And you're paying a premium for it.

So OEM is the easy choice. Exedy HD can often be got cheaper. And from there you're looking at fully custom clutches like the Exedy Hyper Single or Toda Hi-power. Big bucks.

The mods you have planned (and in fact any mods short of FI) won't gain you any noticeable power. Nothing that will stress the stock clutch.
    Last edited by AusS2000; 30-07-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Nice to meet you too AusS2000. Thanks for the advice I'm sure you've just saved me a couple of hundred bucks which will result in me losing my licence after a night of excessive drinking using the spare cash that I will have. I kid.

Anyhow, I'll go the Exedy but I have a question. Because they're using the same design does this mean that it'll grab just like the Spoon clutch?

Reason I ask because I heard that the OEM clutch has some slippage right out of the factory. Actually, I read this somewhere and I can't remember the reason why. Anyhow, if it's the same as the Spoon clutch I'm not going to spend money just for brand name, only results.

And what about the flywheel? I've contacted JDM yard so far about the Spoon clutch but will do so soon regarding Exedy once I have information and will make an order. If you know of any other places where I can get a good deal please refer me...

Oh and I'll say hi to Billy for you.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Later S2000s have a clutch delay device in the slave cylinder that is supposed to stop you from being able to drop the clutch. I think this is what you're referring to. Stock clutch is direct and only slips as much as you let it.

Flywheels I'm not sure of. Never driven a car with a lightened flywheel.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    I'd rather Exedy HD and an Exedy lightweight flywheel. You'll be able to get that cheap and install it at a price much lower than the Spoon stuff.
    Hey mate I completely missed that post of yours. I'm going Exedy HD and Exedy lightweight flywheel. Thanks for the advice.

Now, just gotta PM Lucedrs for a quote..

Account Disabled Array
    Car:
    Coupe9;N360;CRX
    I can tell you the Exedy heavy duty is spot on. I did mine a few weeks back as soon as I got my car. I bought it on the advice of the boys here and it's the go. I just got my flywheel skimmed and it was all good. I went to Sandown Saturday and beat the hell out of it lap after lap and it was great. No slip and good feel.

James.

Oh and congrats on the car, welcome to the club!