Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    IVTEC
    i agree with above, practice normal rev matching downgearing first with the heel toe, so u get the hang of how much throttle u need to blip etc, then u gotta practice the awkward (to some ppl) position ur foot has to go in (again depends on the seating position aswell). and then its all the timing of when to do it bfore corner etc, easy say harder to do tho lolz

Member Array
    Car:
    RunX
    Your footwear plays a big role in how easy it is to do too. I find that black leather dress shoes, runners and skate shoes are the best for learning since they have a nice big block on the heel to reach the throttle easier while keeping plenty of shoe area on the brake pedel. If you haven't tried bare foot yet you can always give that a go and see how it feels. Thats how I learnt it, but depends on how flexible your ankle is. You can build some strength/finese by practicing with some tennis balls while sitting down.

Member Array
    Car:
    IVTEC
    i dun barely move my foot after doing it for a while, i just brake wid like the big bit of my foot under my big toe and then the side of my foot can hit the throttle so not exactly a "heel" in my terms lolz, its like me just puttin my foot right between the 2 pedals and so easier to get to both.

Quote Originally Posted by JDM.Power View Post
    yeah, i normally do it..when i come to a roundabout.
    never ever do it while taking corners or driving on a straight public road.

shouldnt even be doing it in the first place on public road.
    but yeah practice makes perfect, im just used to it nows..i always do it when i reach a roundabout with no cars around.

best to keep it for track tho!
    I don't understand why one shouldn't be doing this on a public road?
    It's not a 'race only' move. It's actually quite good to use and better for your gears in the long term once done properly. Obviously there are times when u need it and times when u don't but I certainly wouldn't go as far to say that one shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

If u've relatively mastered this then it shouldn't be a problem in any situation cuz obviously the emphasis is on the breaking. if u can't blimp in time/change ur mind or sudden traffic condition change it's ur breaking that comes first and u can ignore the blimp. once u can do this then u can work on correct amount of revs required for different speeds.

Oh and note on wearing heeled shoes (male dress shoes) - it's just a personal opinion but i don't think it'd be good to learn with these shoes. the heel tends to get stuck on the pedal if ur ankle isn't as flexible yet so stick with flat shoes first b4 u start to mix it up.
    Last edited by 94dc2tegz; 28-01-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Account Disabled Array
    Double Clutch is very bad on the gearbox and clutch!! Dont do it.

On the other hand, heel-toe can be mastered with alot of practice. Do it in a quiet place where is no cars around. once you feel more confident then yeh you get the rest.

I do heel-toe all the time on public road, jsut a natural instinct i guess. Its a part of my driving now. LOL You can do it so it doesnt draw attention, like not reving it to high or heel-toe at low revs.

Thanks for all your help, its all taken into account.

As I said I do it on quiet roads for now.. im starting to get the hang of it more day by day!

I've been trying barefoot lately just to see how it fairs (was difficult at the start because I was wearing skate shoes when i first attempted it)

But when i threw shoes back on it was a tonne easier.

Like everyone says, practice makes perfect hey.

Member Array
    Car:
    the non-honda type
    Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    Double Clutch is very bad on the gearbox and clutch!! Dont do it.
    You're ****ing kidding me, right?

Account Disabled Array
    no im not kidding you. Go do it all the time and dont go crying if you smash something.

** My understanding of double clutching is foot on the gas, and qucikly clutch in and out to bring up the revs.

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    double clutching is just original form of heel-toe.
    Double clutching is used more with truckies as that is what they match revs

The heel-toe is only different that you use both brake and accelerator at same time.

Not sure if i'm clear but have a read of the more technical explaintion if your not sure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_declutch

P.S the 'no no' i think is called kicking the clutch. It craps up the clutch i agree.
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    double clutching was used when gearboxes didnt have a synchromesh, so in effect it is not only bringing the engine up to speed but by engaging the clutch in neutral when you blip the throttle, you are bringing the gearbox and the motor up to the same speed, which will help gears engage when you clutch back in...

i dont see how it could be damaging to your gearbox but i could be wrong, if anyhting you are giving the synchros less work to do

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz GE '08
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilli View Post
    but by engaging the clutch in neutral when you blip the throttle
    sry to ask noob question here.. but ppl keep sayin "blip" the throttle? wat does blip means??

n the order to do a heel-toe is
    1. brake
    2. clutch + gear to neutral
    3. rev
    4. clutch + downgear
    5. accelerate out??

is tat the rite order?? lol.. coz i tried to do it last time n prhaps i rev too high, so the car jump a bit farther than i xpcted lol.. do we actually have to rev very high??

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    Blipping this throttle is the process of giving it a bit of gas, same as your step 3 above