Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

2007 Civic VTi - Knocking Noise

Hi all

The car is only 250kms old and what I have noticed is soft knocking noise coming from the engine/tranny area when:

- car is on a slight hill, and you step on the accelerator gently to get the car going up the hill at a very slow speed

It normally does this after the car is warm and has been driven around.

Has anyone experienced this? is it normal? I find it quite frustrating as the car is practically brand new.

Thanks

my kinda does that aswell.. its a once off knock right?...
    sounds like its coming from a spring??
    and happens when you go from like a drop.. not exactly a drop..
    but from a step..
    =(.. i took mine back. and its still happening.. I gotta brng mine back

Nah its more like a knock knock knock until some more speed or revs are picked up

Member Array
    Car:
    07 civic sport
    RU describing Pinging?
    If so, return it to the dealer ASAP

From Wiki: "pinking or pinging)— colloquially detonation—in internal combustion engines occurs when combustion of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder starts off correctly in response to ignition by the spark plug, but one or more pockets of air/fuel mixture explode outside the envelope of the normal combustion front. In non-diesel combustion engines, the fuel-air charge is designed to be ignited by the spark plug only, and at a precise time in the piston's stroke cycle designed for the engine. When Detonation (Knocking) occurs two or more combustion fronts will exist and their resultant collisions produce a sudden rise in cylinder pressure and a shock-wave which will reverberate around the cylinder[1]. The peak of the combustion process no longer occurs at the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle. The resulting shock-wave reverberates in the combustion chamber, creating the characteristic metallic "pinging" sound, and pressure increases catastrophically. It can range from hardly noticeable to complete engine destruction."

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 Civic Vti-L
    I have both engine knocking and spring knocking issue, I guess many people have them. Then engine knocking happens at low rpm (still within acceptable rpm/speed range, eg: on 2nd gear @ 1800rpm, its like vroo..vrooo vroo.. then after more gas applied, vrooom....

For spring knocking, happens when I accelerate from stationary a little fast, or break at low speed and turning at the same time. Feels like you've hit something.

mine make a soft knocking sounds when I drove it under heavy rain this morning (5am-ish)... dunno where it comes from though and when i drove it to work today (8.30am-ish) its gone...

Bye2 Honda... Hello Mazda family

Pinging is more like a tinny, 'rock in a tin can' type sound is it not?

well if its rock in a tin.. and it doesnt happen often.. ive got that problem aswell.. it seems like something in loose right? instead of somethig thats broken..=((.. all the dealer did. was tighten my springs. but i have the same problem still

i have the exact same noise (soft knocking from the engine) when I go up a hill in a very low RPM.. If I give more RPM, the knocking's gone.. I think most people have it yeah?

Maybe for FD owners, try to drive up a steep slope from a stand still, with your windows down, I think you can hear the knocking when your RPM is low..

My Question; Is it a serious problem?

The Civic doesn't have a great deal amount of torque (174Nm @ 4200rpm), going up a hill at very low rpms and probably in the wrong gear is a very bad idea.
    Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by jckidz View Post
    i have the exact same noise (soft knocking from the engine) when I go up a hill in a very low RPM.. If I give more RPM, the knocking's gone.. I think most people have it yeah?

Maybe for FD owners, try to drive up a steep slope from a stand still, with your windows down, I think you can hear the knocking when your RPM is low..

My Question; Is it a serious problem?
    That's it! pretty sure its not pinging but yeah even a hill at a very slight slope (like just my driveway or a small slop hill on a road)

Its a real soft knock from stand still up to idle speed, it will go away when there are more revs and anything faster that idle speed

Im wondering whether this is a common issue perhaps with the autobox or engine for all FD owners. As above, if anyone else can give it a shot and get back to us that would be terrific.

i know what the knocking sound is.. its from the steering mate.. I had mine when I just bought it.. u can just hear the knocking sound when its idling.. bring it back.. and mine was fixed within a day.. =) I have a auto aswell..