Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    MX-5 SE
    ethanol is bad for our motors... so the v-power racing (100 octane which uses ethanol i beleave) is not good for our cars (there is a list here on honda aus website with cars that can use ethanol http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/conn...wners/Ethanol/)
    'The Dave'

Old - DC2R - 122fwkw - 1:10.6 WP

New - MX5 SE - 165rwkw -

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK
    nah cos i saw on their advertisement that shells unleaded is 95... was just wondering if it was true...
    ||bye bye civic || hello awd turbo ||

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    Quote Originally Posted by dahon View Post
    nah cos i saw on their advertisement that shells unleaded is 95... was just wondering if it was true...
    its getting complicated these days.
    unleaded is 92/91 octane and nowadays has 10% ethanol in it.this is sometimes called eco unleaded or some other crap because it has ethanol in it which is a more sustainable fuel source than old school petrol,so then what they call the regular unleaded is 95 octane,then the premium is 98....every manufacturer has a different version of naming though
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Member Array
    Car:
    98 EK
    yeh its really weird...
    and i reckon that shell is just saying its 95, but its actually just 92... noone can really check anyway... bah
    ||bye bye civic || hello awd turbo ||

Member Array
    Car:
    BB6 Prelude
    Ignore all these stories about impending doom. The H22 ECU is equipped with a bunch of sensors so will retard the ignition timing if it notices sub-par fuel in the sytem. This will cause the engine to underperform, but won't do any damage to it.

Run 95 as a minimum, or if you're overly pedantic like me, run 95 only when 98 isn't available.

And if you don't want to spend the extra $3 or $5 at the pump, then a Prelude isn't the car for you.
    "The sign of a good quote is that it has inverted commas at each end"
    -Shaun Micallef

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Brash22 View Post
    Ignore all these stories about impending doom. The H22 ECU is equipped with a bunch of sensors so will retard the ignition timing if it notices sub-par fuel in the sytem. This will cause the engine to underperform, but won't do any damage to it.

Run 95 as a minimum, or if you're overly pedantic like me, run 95 only when 98 isn't available.

And if you don't want to spend the extra $3 or $5 at the pump, then a Prelude isn't the car for you.
    But if it is self-igniting before the ignition even fires, what protection will retarding the ignition give?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    But if it is self-igniting before the ignition even fires, what protection will retarding the ignition give?
    indeed,when you get really low quality fuel it can self ignite just from the compression alone withouth the need for a spark at all,so retarding the timing will not help....this is with quite low quality fuel though
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Member Array
    Car:
    GT-R N1 & EVO7

Wink E10 or V-Power/Ultimate?

QUOTE=SHIFTY;1543979]ethanol is bad for our motors... so the v-power racing (100 octane which uses ethanol i beleave) is not good for our cars (there is a list here on honda aus website with cars that can use ethanol http://www.honda.com.au/wps/wcm/conn...wners/Ethanol/)[/QUOTE]

Hiya,

I looked up this site because I've been running my 4th Gen Prelude on E10 95 RON for 14 months now without any pinging or other adverse effects.

I noticed that all research recommendations referred to Hondas manufactured since 2002, which didn't really impress me being a Prelude owner. So I called up the Honda Hot Line on that site Ph: 1800-804954 and talked to a technician who said to-day (on 18/08/08) that officially, no research has been done on Honda Preludes running on E10 fuel; but he can't see why they shouldn't so long as the RON is equal or greater than '95'.

I've been reluctant to use V-Power Racing (soon to be phased out of Oz) on the GTR because of the ethanol content, although I know that some guys do use that fuel (despite the ethanol).

End Result: I'll continue to use E10 '95' on the Lude!

Cheers,
    Terry
    Last edited by Terry_GT-R34; 18-08-2008 at 03:56 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Prelude
    all you guys are saying higher octane wont do anything, but have you tried putting a lil nitro in your fuel tank or autogas i think it is.. WOW gives it a kick
    Parts Added

- K&N Pod Filter - Heavy Duty Clutch - Water Pump - Titanium Spark Plugs - Top Gun SP Leads -

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by port3s View Post
    all you guys are saying higher octane wont do anything, but have you tried putting a lil nitro in your fuel tank or autogas i think it is.. WOW gives it a kick
    I don't really know what you're talking about but it doesn't sound too good for our ludes... (Well my H22A anyway)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    dc2 Vtec
    dont use anythin under 95, i dont know why u wouldnt. you want whats best for your car dont you?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra VTIR [TR11PN]
    Quote Originally Posted by Vti-Arh View Post
    dont use anythin under 95, i dont know why u wouldnt. you want whats best for your car dont you?
    TRUE. i wouldnt ever use anything under the specified reccomendations.. 95 is reccomended for my teg but i still always put 98.. car runs much better.
    [TR11PN]