Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    your mum

whats wrong with FFcar on circuit?

hi there, i was having a disscussion with my workmate about FFcar and FRcar, they keep saying that FF is useless in circuit, i mean why????

question1: what is the advantages and disadvantages of FF and FR
    question2: which one is better on track?
    question3: why FF has less traction over FR according to my workmates?
    question4: what does it take to stop FFcar understeering when u heavily accelerate out of the corner?

question5: my workmate owes a RB25DET in the R32GTS, and also having a SR20DET 180SX, do u think my EGbreezeEG3 with b18cnonR can beat up the straight line???

question6: why honda is keeping DC and civic in FF??? if FF is no good on traction and understeering a lot.

thanks man
    these questions have been in my head for a long time.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    hrm... well u don't totally step on it going out of a corner if you want to go fast this applies for both ff and fr in most cases.

fr drivers hate ff usually because it requires a differently driving style which they may not be accustomed to.

ff is not all doom and gloom just look at all the ff type r's and other ppls ff cars on this forum. try riding in someones ff that has some nice suspension mods. see how much it understeers. it probably won't understeer much unless they do something pretty severe.

yes ff isn't the best platform. well actually its the worst on paper lol but if its set up correctly who says its gonna stop you from having fun and getting some good lap times.

btw this has been discussed in at least 2 threads i swear. man the amount of arguing going on in those threads is like terrible. if you don't like ff dont drive one end of story lol.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg sedan
    if you look up lap times for circuit racing you will probably find that some ff cars are beating fr and 4wd cars. factors such as power and driver skill could be taken into consideration though. but i think that proves that ff cars are not totally useless for circuit.

The Proconcept Civic all lap Wakefield under 1:09 and the Creek at 1:48
    HiPower CRX - Wakefield - 1:07
    A couple of us here have lapped Eastern creek around 1:55 in our FWD street cars

Alot of RWD drivers get pissed probably because their supposedly superior car gets shown up by a shopping trolley. LOL.

But yeah, i don't give a shit...I drive what I like, bugger all what people think.
    Last edited by e240; 12-02-2008 at 07:55 AM.
    MFactory Competition Products

Quote Originally Posted by connorling View Post

question1: what is the advantages and disadvantages of FF and FR

light weight = FF

question2: which one is better on track?

4WD

question3: why FF has less traction over FR according to my workmates?

tyre area is larger on RR (due to car being so heavy), but this does not mean there is more traction?

question4: what does it take to stop FFcar understeering when u heavily accelerate out of the corner?

the differential needs to work (and proper driver skills)

question5: my workmate owes a RB25DET in the R32GTS, and also having a SR20DET 180SX, do u think my EGbreezeEG3 with b18cnonR can beat up the straight line???

no.

question6: why honda is keeping DC and civic in FF??? if FF is no good on traction and understeering a lot.

FF = cheaper to manufacture

thanks man
    these questions have been in my head for a long time.
    simple modifications like rear sway bar upgrade remove understeer from FF (understeer is in-built by factory as understeer is SAFER on normal roads)
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    but main issues with tracking FF is tyre wear as you are putting to use the front alot more than a RWD would put to their rears. Thus traction starts to be an issue on longer tracks
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

you are talking about a different type of traction than the OP was asking about.

you are refering to longevity, not 'traction'
    B20VTEC - since 2002

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX

generally the other cars will be quicker
    depends on your mods and theirs
    but power to weight will have u in front with all having basic mods
    IMO and my experience
    turbo cars heat up easy on the track too
    so after a couple of laps ...it will be another story

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    With FF, the front tyres both steer and apply power to the ground. So when you have larger slip angles while turning, the limit of traction during acceleration is lower than for an FR car. Of course, you can remedy this by using a high revving but low torque engine.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    With FF, the front tyres both steer and apply power to the ground. So when you have larger slip angles while turning, the limit of traction during acceleration is lower than for an FR car. Of course, you can remedy this by using a high revving but low torque engine.
    so u meant b16a will be better than b18c in acceleration while turning???
    since b16a has less torque than b18

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    FF = cheaper to manufacture
    but honda isnt selling cheap, the new CTR cost $40000, u can get a decent FR car for that price.

thing is i love honda, but i always hear people either laught at it being a FF or FF car why.

i think if civic is FR, then people will give more respect to it, i hate hearing people laught at honda.
    perhaps honda can make base model FF, only typeR is FR, then wouldnt it be better??? but then again, less people will be able to do the convertions. or go for other FR cars

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by connorling View Post
    so u meant b16a will be better than b18c in acceleration while turning???
    since b16a has less torque than b18
    Actually, I meant limit the torque so that you get less wheelspin when accelerating during a turn. You can do the same with a sensitive right foot, but it is not easy when you are committed 10/10 into a turn.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2