Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ported sub box or sealed?!

Whats better for car audio system?

what difference does it make?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    I'm a noob in car audio, but as far as i no, ported gives you louder bass, SPL or somthing, and sealed is meant to give you better sound quality, so as far as i no it depends of you just want it to be loud or if you want it to sound sweet, also some subs are designed for a sealed box and others ported and most work well in either. Audio Guru's Please correct me if I am wrong, also interested in hearing what some of you have to say.
    See my Car here
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L VTEC.
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

I would just go with seal... easier to get it right.

Most ported box that are poorly made (spec not correct, too small or port length too short) tend to be boomy and noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dray_Templar View Post
    I'm a noob in car audio, but as far as i no, ported gives you louder bass, SPL or somthing, and sealed is meant to give you better sound quality, so as far as i no it depends of you just want it to be loud or if you want it to sound sweet, also some subs are designed for a sealed box and others ported and most work well in either. Audio Guru's Please correct me if I am wrong, also interested in hearing what some of you have to say.
    ported box can be made for SQ purpose also, but its a lot teadious to do so... if you check out home audio stuffs, most of the bookshelf, floorstanders, subs are in ported box.

Exactly.

the Difference is that Ported is louder/ more efficient.

Though ported is hard to get right, if you don't make the box properly, a number of things could make the sub sound like shit- hence why people say sealed is for SQ, cause it sounds better, but the reason is because they heard a shittly tuned ported box.

Sealed is easy to make, and is easy to get right/ more forgiveable.

But if you are able to tackle down ported, it is worth it, you get a louder sounding system with no need to add more power.

Also what subwoofer is it? because some subs just don't work in sealed or ported.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondas suck <3
    yes i was also wondering the same question....i have the lil booklet dat came wit my sub and i checked the units and it said that ported had a higher number but i dunno what the number meant and wether high or lover was better except that was in feet squared

well ive made up my mind and i bought myself a very good quality ported box and omg it sounds great!. very punchy but also very loud. very happy with it. was gonna get 2 subs but this 1 sounds so much better than twin 12's. im happy

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by xtc.thai View Post
    well ive made up my mind and i bought myself a very good quality ported box and omg it sounds great!.
    pre-fabricated ported box off the floor of a chain store?

very punchy but also very loud. very happy with it. was gonna get 2 subs but this 1 sounds so much better than twin 12's. im happy
    please let us know when you've damaged your sub... i need a good chuckle

wonder why you didnt read and take in what tron07 had said, i agree 100% with him here...

Quote Originally Posted by tron07
    I would just go with seal... easier to get it right.
    ported, so easy to get wrong and damage speakers... but there is more than just the box, you need the right amp also for the ported enclosure or you will damage speakers no doubt about it...
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!

lol, no not off a chain store, nope havent damaged my sub and yes it maybe easy to get ported subs wrong but the one i have bought for myself works perfectly and sounds just the way i wanted it. and everyone that has heard it thinks that i have a good combination with my amp/sub and box

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    thinks i will go sealed yep yep... 2 x 12" earthquake tremors.. but they won't be in till next month
    See my Car here
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L VTEC.
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

well ive made up my mind and i bought myself a very good quality ported box and omg it sounds great!. very punchy but also very loud. very happy with it. was gonna get 2 subs but this 1 sounds so much better than twin 12's. im happy
    lol at off the shelves box....

Not to pour cold water on you, but how much listening experience does your pals have?? Do you know what is cone break up, lead slap, etc is and how they sound??

On the plus side, its not that easy to damage a sub, unless you blast it excessively.....

Member Array
    Car:
    94 CD5 04 600RR
    tuning freq. of port and subsonic filter... thats all you need to know... any more and your brain turns to mush
    Albert Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe & human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Put your location in your profile, makes referring help easier!