Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Throttle Response Time

Hey, i've had my manual Civic VTi-L for about 7 months now, and i thought i'd see if anyone's throttle response is a little delayed. I used to have an old Nissan Pulsar '90 model, and it's throttle response was immediate. But when i have the civic in neutral and rev the engine it takes like atleast half a second to register that i put the foot down. I thought the drive-by-wire throttle would be just as reactive as the old throttle cable.

Anybody have similiar issues?

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    The Euro and other K Series cars do the same thing. Honda programmed the DBW to do that for safety reasons if I recall correctly.

In the US, many Civic owners complained about the delay and as a result, Honda reprogrammed it so it was more responsive.

It is annoying but you get used to it. Although if there was a reflash/fix available, I'd do it in a second.
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    K20Z2 / EGB18C
    that's E-throttle for u manG!
    that is quite abunai....

I got a 07 FD1. Yes sometimes I do notice it, tho I don't think its that bad. You do get used to it and I don't see it being a problem.

Not that you should be revving in neutral anyway :P

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer
    You learn to drive the car in such a way that you take advantage of this (e.g. by holding the engine at a certain rpm, and already having the throttle slightly depressed, etc..). Whilst it's a real pain in the butt to sit in traffic and have that delay, you learn to use the effective power band much better.

Installing the Typhoon intake improves this slightly but ultimately, you need to learn to overcome it by just changing your driving style.
    FD1 & CZ4A Driver.

ya, me have problem with this "delay" at the first few months as well. it seems that no matter how hard (and sudden) i press the accell from a full stop condition, it has 1/2 sec delay to move the car... and I did ask this on my 1st and 2nd service with Honda, they said it was purposely build like that for safety reason. might need to wait for a few more months till i can install the typhoon on my FD2 to test if this can improve it.

Bye2 Honda... Hello Mazda family

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    06 Civic Vti-L

Angry

yeah, same delay problem here too with vti-l, so crap for heel/toe manual rev match, so difficult to get it right ...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Its just all practise man, took me abit but u'll eventually get it right.

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer
    besides it's good technique to lightly accelerate and THEN floor it. flooring it from standstill will always do nothing in this car.
    FD1 & CZ4A Driver.

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    Quote Originally Posted by JaCe View Post
    besides it's good technique to lightly accelerate and THEN floor it. flooring it from standstill will always do nothing in this car.
    Yeah true, if you push down lightly then accelerate quicker, there is no delay, and you get about the same power.

The delay is a safety 'feature' for n00bs who pull into a parking spot and accidentially push the Accelerator to brake and fly off into the shops/houses, instead of using the Brakes to brake lool
    .© ♪

Quote Originally Posted by oniononline View Post
    yeah, same delay problem here too with vti-l, so crap for heel/toe manual rev match, so difficult to get it right ...
    if you can't overcome it, you're n00b

practice makes perfect

so do it

Member Array
    Car:
    '98 Civic Gli
    fit a turbo that should solve all your problem.