Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!

quick question; extending power cables?

so it appears 5m isn't enough to run it how i want in the car, its a 8ga power cable

now i'm wondering whats the best way i can extend the power cable? so i just solder the 2 pieces together then heatshrink as you would smaller cables? or would you just buy something to crimp them together?

or is it best i run out and buy the required length to begin with? or can i just run out and get a high current cable joiner from jaycar?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    not 100% certain, but i would think that a decent cable joiner from jaycar would do the job with out being to big able problem, but if you can stretch to the time and money (8 gage isn't that dear i don't think), you might as well get a longer cable, apart from been neater, you will be sure it's not going to come apart and create any issues later..

(do it once, do it right) hehe unless you can't afford 2..
    See my Car here
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L VTEC.
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    yeah i'd assume a joiner wouldn't be a problem, bit of a pain in the arse do re-do my wiring now thats all especially when i can just buy a joiner hehe.

thanks anyway, might just try the joiner tomorrow and see how i go first

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L
    NP mate should do the job fine,
    See my Car here
    Honda Accord 1998 V6-L VTEC.
    Carputer
    MySpace come say hi

Do you have fused distribution block or conectors?

You will need to have one at your battery area, less then 18" distance from the battery, for the battery protection. Then you can put one at the boot, for your amp protection.

for the front battery part...

The fused distribution block below the sony device

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    got one for battery protection already, been running the setup fine for the last 2 years or so, just decided to tear it down and throw in some jaycar 6.5" splits and 6x9's instead of my old blaupunkt 6.5" splits and sub to reclaim some of my boot space back and neaten it up(cables through the car!) while i was at it

Member Array
    Car:
    ED CIVC FD CIVC
    Use a 8g Jointer if you solder the end of the cable and tighten the grug screws it wont come apart then heatsrink over the top of it

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    ^^ yep doing exactly that thanks mate

Member Array
    Car:
    Sydney
    you shouldnt really extend the power cable due to resistance, but it wont matter if the system isnt very powerful to begin with, so using a jointer should be fine. Put another inline fuse between the cables for extra protection
    .© ♪

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    my current 80a fuse seems to be doing the job, for curiosity sake though what rating fuse would i be looking at if i wanted to add one just before the amp?

Quote Originally Posted by vinnY View Post
    my current 80a fuse seems to be doing the job, for curiosity sake though what rating fuse would i be looking at if i wanted to add one just before the amp?
    same 80amp