Member Array
    Car:
    02 DC5R

Car won't start after engine swap

Hi

Have just finished putting a b18c in my gen 2 CRX. I had it running and starting every time so the next day I bolted all the front end panels back in, reconnected all the headlight/front end wiring harnesses and then went to start the car and got nothing. Anyway I couldn't hear the fuel pump priming each time like it was before so I re soldered the main relay and it now primes every time, however it still wont start, it just cranks.

Any ideas? What should I be checking? Im just a bit confused because I didn't really change anything from when it was running?

Thanks

try retarding the timing of the dizzy or make sure you put the spark leads on the correct ends of the dizzy.

Also when starting do so with WOT ( wide open throttle) and see if that gets it chugging into life

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Check if the fuse for the fuel pump is blown.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    02 DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Check if the fuse for the fuel pump is blown.
    Are you sure there is a fuse? I thought there was just the relay. There doesn't appear to be one on both the engine bay and under hood fuseboxes. Anyway I just checked them all anyway and they seem fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin
    Also when starting do so with WOT ( wide open throttle) and see if that gets it chugging into life
    Tried this too, no difference

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin
    try retarding the timing of the dizzy or make sure you put the spark leads on the correct ends of the dizzy.
    Neither of these have been changed since the car was running. I just checked and the leads are all in the right positions, I'm trying to avoid playing with the timing for now though because it was running fine with the same timing before.

Thanks for the ideas though

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Everything should have a fuse. It might not be labelled as a "fuel pump" fuse, but it could be running of some other fuse.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    so its cranking.and the fuel pump primes,so the fuel pump fuse is fine (if there is one)
    start from the basics,pull a line of and see if fuel is coming through when you crank.
    put a rubber handled screwdriver in a lead and earth it 1/2cm from the rocker cover to see if there is spark when you crank
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    change your spark plugs

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Doh... I misread that the fuel pump was not priming.

I agree with ECU-MAN... if the fuel pump primes, injectors are working, engine is cranking but not starting, you should have some nicely wet spark plugs...

Member Array
    Car:
    02 DC5R
    She starts again!

Yeah turns out it was the spark plugs, just picked up a new set of NGK's and she's all good. Can't believe I didn't think of trying that

Few questions though,

1)
    Why did it happen, was it something to do with the fuel pump not working?

2)
    I purchased the standard plugs which were recommended for the type-r. I've heard that when running higher compression you usually move to a cooler plug (its running 12.6:1), when I asked at autobarn they couldn't find anything cooler to suit the type r in the NGK or Champion catalouges. The previous plugs were HKS, any other options, or are the HKS plugs really worth what you pay for them?

Thanks for the help guys
    Last edited by smomo; 19-02-2008 at 01:38 PM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    When stock, it uses a heat range 7 plug (NGK number). So try going cooler by one step by putting in an 8. Check after a few thousand kms of driving if you get deposits on the electrode. If you don't, then all is good and you can keep using 8 or go 1 step cooler and repeat the test. Sometimes thousands of kms is not enough and you need to go at least 10,000km, but you get the idea. A cooler plug can delay preignition with a high compression engine, but because it is cooler, you get deposits from the combustion cycle which is not burnt off. Also, you can get rid of deposits by giving it a nice run to high RPM once in a while so that the plug heats up enough to burn it off.

mate b for u do anything chek if u hav spark

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    i thought stock was 6 heat range and 7 was 1 lower
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION