Member Array
    Car:
    4 banger

Review: Redline 75w-140 NS Gearbox oil

Product:

Brief Product Info

Red Line Gear Lubricants are designed to provide excellent low-temperature shift-ability and improved gear protection at higher temperatures. Red Line Gear Oils will reduce differential termperatures anywhere from 5 to 50°C. Efficiency improvements between 1–5% are typical. The synthetic base stocks used have tremendous thermal stability and provide the best film strength available. The unique combination of base stocks and additives allow Red Line gear oils to carry higher loads compared to petroleum lubricants. The stability of these products allow them to be used for extended periods. Exclusive to our gear oil range, is our special Manual Transmission oils, (MTL & MT90) and our famous Shockproof Gear oils.

http://www.redlineoil.com.au/product...n.asp#gearoils

My Gearbox Condition
    - Previously using some Castrol 75w-90 changed 10,000km ago
    - After 20mins of load temps would heat up above normal and oil fails causing 3rd/4th gear to slighty crunch. 5 gear was kind of notchy
    - however normal drive revs kept under 3000rpm gear change is fine regardless of OT

After Redline 75w-140NS
    - Cost $35/L
    - Gearbox feels brand new, 3rd no longer dies under high temp, 4th smooth as ever and 5th notchyness gone ~ absolutely great oil box feels brand new

Other stuff
    - Cost as much as Royal Purple 75w-140 (1L), and cheaper then the 75w-90 (1L)
    - Same price as Pentrite SIN 85w-140 (2.5L), more expensive then 75w-90 (2.5L)
    - Motul 300 racing gearbox oil (1L) more expensive then redline
    - Techdata & specs 75w-90, 75w-90NS, 80w-140, 75-140NS :http://www.redlineoil.com.au/Uploads...be2%20Aust.pdf
    Last edited by tekung89; 24-12-2008 at 10:24 PM.
    ohh herrow im jdm

What made you choose NS vs the more popular Shockproof

Member Array
    Car:
    4 banger
    Quote Originally Posted by markoJEK1 View Post
    What made you choose NS vs the more popular Shockproof
    very good question.

there is a very fine substance in the shockproof that is not recommended for a daily driver box, it has been tested on normal boxes and result show that it grinds away ur synchro's very very gradually. the oil would need to be replace twice as often compared to the NS and i believe it is more expensive. this was also posted on many forums and told by the manufactures upon purchase.

however i have heard the shockproof is godlike. even using the NS i feel like there was a whole new different feeling. lol i would like to hear from anyone who has used shockproof for their gb
    ohh herrow im jdm

Yes I thought that might of been the reason, theres has been alot of 'bad' reviews with some setups and this oil, while others swear by it, use at own risk I guess

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4K24
    whats wrong with OEM fluids?

Quote Originally Posted by Riviera View Post
    whats wrong with OEM fluids?
    nothing at all.

But if your gearbox is feeling worse for wear , these fluids offer a "band aid fix" to mask the grinding or sloppy shifting (IE user error/bad driving).

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4K24
    lol i see now, (user/bad driving)