Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    2000 Honda Integra Type R

4th gen v 5th gen

If anyone could help me out please. Im looking at buying either a 4th gen or 5th gen vtir prelude.

Ive read a few things that indicate the 4th gen is quicker to the 100 kmh sprint but slower over the 400m due to shorter gear ratios and less weight? can anoyne confirm this?

Also that the 4th gen responds to modifications better? for what reason? is this true?

Id like to hear anyones opinion on which car is the better choice, the 4th gen vtirs seems to be very rare and i like the look of the 5th gen better.
    1999 MY2000 Honda Integra type R

differences

ok lets compare 5th VTIR and 4th Gen VTIR Aus released preludes:

the 5th gen VTIR has 5kw more than the 4th Gen VTIR
    4th Gen VTIR has less weight than the 5th Gen.
    4th Gen VTIR has closer gear ratios to assist with acceleration times, than the 5th gen.

5th gen uses OBD2/a computers as opposed to the 94-95 4th gen VTIR which has OBD1. Note the 96 VTIR uses OBD2.

In short.
    People tend to convert to OBD2 cars to OBD1, due to the ECU wanting to revert back to stock specs effectively de-tuning the car from your mods. I am sure there is article about this on this site , so not going into details.

The 5th gen uses a h22a4 (open deck), and the 4th gen uses h22a1 (closed deck).

Both engines respond pretty much the same to modifications, it is the ECU that is the main thing causing issues.
    --------------------------------------

NA all the way, turbos are ghey.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    ok thanks for that.

so do you have to buy a new ecu for OBD1 or is there a way of converting to OBD1?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Also can anyone suggest what the best way to go about improving performance (all motor) is. CAI, with 4-2-1 headers and a cat back exhaust or cams, or whats the best way to go? looking at spening no more then $3500on these parts.

Just trying to get an idea of whether buying a prelude vtir and putting this amount of cash into is going to be worth while, i had a dc2r before and i want the performance to be roughly the same, its never going to handle as well i understand that, but straight line performance should easily be matched with that sort of set up shouldnt it?

nope, itr will still be quicker due to its weight, even if u only have the standard bolt ons. however it can be a different story is u get quality bolt ons with a piggyback tune. if ur budget is 3.5k get mugen headers/mugen catback and aem v2 intake with an apexi piggyback tune. try to get 2nd hand parts if that blows ur 3.5k budget a little ull be looking at approx 140kw at the hubs (previous member on PA had this setup however he had an injen cai i think)

4th gen vtir is quicker in acc and over the 1/4mile than the 5th gen vtir as my mates have gone to eastern creek and swaped cars to prove this already. mate in the 4th gen did 14.8 stock, 5th gen did 15.2 stock.

however like u stated 5th gen looks alot sexier ^^

Member Array
    Car:
    BB6 Prelude
    The figures on the DC2R and the VTiR Prelude are the same, 147kW, and while unsure about the teggy, the Prelude puts down between 98 and 110kW at the wheels on a chassis dyno. This figure can quite easily be increased by 25% with the aid of a good tune and the basic I/H/E mods. You can take it further with cams, but good luck finding all that for under $3500.
    "The sign of a good quote is that it has inverted commas at each end"
    -Shaun Micallef

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    well an itr runs stock 14.5 - 14.7 with a good driver, so i would have thought with those bolt on mods a 5th gen would easily be quicker? and a dc2r does not have the same figures bro, they are 141kw and 178nm of torque.

i just read in this forum somebody with a 5th gen had on CAI and a vacf tune and ran 14.7 and had timeslip to prove it? so is it not safe to assume that with a similar tune and those bolt ons id run low 14's?

The prelude is a HEAVY car ~ 1300kgs vs DC2R ~1100kgs
    if you do the maths, it is 200kgs heavier which is like racing an empty car vs a car thats carrying a full load of passengers

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    yeah i no that. i didnt say stock v stock bro? i said an i/h/e modded vtir v a stock ITR. Does anyone who has one ever raced an itr?

Member Array
    Car:
    97 Integra // 01 e46 BMW
    i owned 3rd and 4th gen prelude and 97 integra

integra is way lighter, way better handeling, and faster overall..

prelude is a heavy car its more a cruiser if you want a quick car go with the tegs, if want more luxary go with the ludes.

vtir 4th gen with alot of mods can still go pretty hard but stock ITR will probly win overall =))

Member Array
    Car:
    90 BA3 Prelude
    Yes I agree with the above... I own a 3rd gen (BA4) Prelude and have driven the same generation DA Teg... The Teg just feels lighter and more nimble...

Though in this case the 4WS of the Prelude would probably be a significant advantage against that generation Teg...

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Apple
    are yu serious? 4WS...i hate 4WS.. i honestly think that the teg feels so much more nimble..yu just feel more in control when driving a teg..the lude feels like an elephant..understeers pretty bad..
    VTEC yOO!