Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz VTi-S 2007

REVIEW - Original Mugen Visors vs Replica Mugen Visors

Hey all, i recently got a pair of original mugen visors for my jazz which my lovely Mrs bought me and wanted to inform the curious about the difference between original and replica. first of all there's a major price difference, $50-$65 vs $230-$240. is the price justified? i've had both and i think it is, but read my comments and view the pics and decide for yourself which way u'll take ur visor mods on.

Above the originals are sitting on the plastic wrapping vs the replica on the ground. u can notice the colour difference. the replicas are much darker. in bright daylight the originals have a grey transparency about them and view the same from inside the car. the replicas are a darker black however from inside the car looking out they have a purple tinge (no photo available sorry)

first picture is the replica, second original. the original has smoother rounded off edges, giving it a more slick streamlined look, most noticeable on the lower part of the visor

this shot shows the front passenger visor at the end which meets the other visor/middle of front and rear doors. you can see the replica has a flat spot whereas the original is "visored" all the way to the edge. you'll see the benefit of that later. you'll also notice a "e'sam pat. p" logo" on the original if that means anything to u....

hard to see, but if u look at the original under the "barcode" you'll notice a little hole....thats the all important clip pin slot which will stop them from flying off...the biggest and most important difference between the replica and original. there are two clip slots on each visor.

this shot shows the rear left passenger visor at the end which meets the other visor/middle of the front and rear doors. again, u can notice the flat spot on the replica vs the fully "visored" original.

rear left passenger visor tail end. obviously the logo being present the biggest difference. if u look at the edges it also emphasises the hard vs smooth edges of the replica vs original respectively. the replica also has a slightly wider "flat bit"

this shot shows the above replica installed on the rear left passenger door. if you look closely you'll notice the replica doesn't sit flush with the curves of the door therefore minimising adhesion tape contact...the only thing that holds the replicas to the car.

one of the main cosmetic differences between replica vs the original is where they meet. (first is replica second original). as you can see the original sits more flush with one another giving a more steamlined look whereas the replicas have a split/broken style.

things i can't prove by photo.

- the original is HEAPS more rigid. i can forcely knock the originals without fear of breaking them unlike the replicas. i also created a snap in my drivers side replica when cleaning them once...very unlikely with the originals
    - the supplied adhesive tape (and already on!) the original's is very very sticky. if u go the replicas...get the best adhesive tape u can get, or they will fly off...as it happened to me.
    - the biggest problem with the replicas is the risk of flying off. i'd assume any projectile that comes off your vehicle to potentially create a "panic accident" with someone behind u is your problem. if there is a car crash behind u, u can drive off with a guilty conscious or stop and take responsibility for the accident. mine flew off on the homebush bay drive south bound bridge at meadowbank in peak time. no chance in hell to pull over and try retrieve them. driven over, crushed, and it's stoopid to keep 3 visors on without the driver's (most important!) side. there goes 50 bux....

so hope this was informative, i'll have a DIY install of these up soon. any questions please ask! i'm sure i've missed something. happy driving/vtec-ing folks!

Cheers

Rob

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Nice one mate!
    I bought the replicas for $100 for my EK1 Civic and they were S**T!
    Didn't fit/sit right,look cheap with the 'civic' logo on the side.When U put both front and back on they dont match up.One of mine flew off doing 60km/h....what a waste of $100.I wish I had of paid $200 for the mugen ones from Yonas...Oh wells.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM DC2-R
    nice comparison!
    very informative!
    - [ * AℓвєятяoN ] illegal street racing is bad hao map ! says:
    haha. i'll marry you.
    ||nam|| says:
    ok thats just wrong

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport
    Wow nice research... I have the orginal Mugen on my Jazz... i am loving it!

i bought some copies for my fd..and agree with your comments..on one of my copies there is a slight scratching..which i got from new..looking from your pics..the originals sit much nicer than the copies..

i guess you could sum it up by saying " you get wat you pay for"

thanks for the review!

good review... I just bought OEM stick ons from Honda. Very strong adhesive.. cost me ~ $100 and look great as well.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic 2007
    have to agree with the review, I've got the copy for my FD and Jazz, haven't put on the Jazz's but the one for FD.....both front one are not align with the door's edge, and tends to bend horizontally, apart from those, both the front one are scratching the window's glasses!!! not to mention the "3M" tapes are weak even after properly prepared surface(compared with newly purchased 3M exterior tapes from Bunnings)

P.S. and same as Breeza, I've got the one with the Civic logo on it, but I sanded it off with sand paper~