Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jdm dc2r with wheel spacers!!!

Hey guys, Im planning to put on some wheel spacers on my jdm dc2r to make it have a better stance, Just wondering has anyone got these on their car and does it affect the handling of the car? or is there any downside of these at all?

Cheers guys

downside =

dangerous
    illegal

Sums it up. Dont do it. Get new rims.

Member Array
    Car:
    A few...
    Yeah I use them on some of my cars (non-honda's) they are not ideal. Dont go over 10mm without changing your studs or using these...

Just get new wheels.

Banned Array
    Car:
    DC2-R
    10MM!! Don't go over MAXIMUM 3 mm.

Just get new rims man!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    why does everyone think spacers are the devil.
    a hubcentric 5mm spacer is 99% safe to use.

Racecars use up to 20mm spacers ffs.

Just make sure the spacers you use are not a universal crappy one that moves all around your hub. If you can get your hands on a spacer that has less than 3-5mm movement you should be alright (Either JDM spacer or custom made).
    If you dont get ones that fit snuggly around your studs than you may have problems with steering wheel vibrations etc.

People may say that because you are extending the hub you have less thread for the wheel nuts to grab onto. Allowing a greater sheering force, but there is no way that by daily driving or even the occasional track day will a stud shear off with a hubcentric 5mm spacer.

and btw unless your trying to fit some new brakes or something along those lines under your stock wheels than i probably would put a hold on the spacers cause you probably wouldnt feel that much of a difference.

So in the end yes wheels with a wider offset would be better to buy if you want better handling (even forged wheels for better steering response). But spacers are not as dangerous as everyone percieves them to be (AS LONG as you dont get shitty ones)
    Last edited by macoman69; 10-03-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Yeah thats what i thought, I know alot of people that do drifting that use spacers.. they dont seem to have problems

Banned Array
    Car:
    DC2-R
    Race cars also use extended wheel studs. If not one other massive hub bolts which are better than 5 little wheel nuts.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Yes but there is a big difference between a 5mm spacer to a 20mm spacer!
    A 5mm spacer still leaves plenty of stud track for the wheel nuts.

If you had to go any bigger than 5mm then i would probably invest in ARP extended wheel studs.

Ricki_Kalsi - what makes you think having a 5mm spacer is so dangerous.... do you actually have any experience??

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    Having a 5mm will leave a lot less thread for the nuts to hang onto using factory studs...

Get new wheels with a different offset and while you're at it get extended wheel studs and open ended nuts...

Doing so or using a spacer will change your turning circle and cornering ability of your car

NEVER EVER compare a race car to a production street car -_-

Next person that says "oh but race cars do it so it must be safe" will get a beating

At the end of the day

THEY ARE ILLEGAL
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Banned Array
    Car:
    DC2-R
    Quote Originally Posted by macoman69 View Post

Ricki_Kalsi - what makes you think having a 5mm spacer is so dangerous.... do you actually have any experience??

As a matter of fact yes, I do. I put 8MM spacers on my wheels, and after driving for 2-3 hours... the bolts came loose - ie: not safe at all.

I would recommend you buy ARP extended wheel studs too.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki_kalsi View Post
    As a matter of fact yes, I do. I put 8MM spacers on my wheels, and after driving for 2-3 hours... the bolts came loose - ie: not safe at all.

I would recommend you buy ARP extended wheel studs too.
    Did you actually tension them up?? And btw i think 8mm is a different story but 5mm is fine.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Having a 5mm will leave a lot less thread for the nuts to hang onto using factory studs...

Get new wheels with a different offset and while you're at it get extended wheel studs and open ended nuts...

Doing so or using a spacer will change your turning circle and cornering ability of your car

NEVER EVER compare a race car to a production street car -_-

Next person that says "oh but race cars do it so it must be safe" will get a beating

At the end of the day

THEY ARE ILLEGAL
    Ill agree that they are illegal, BUT anyone that is running an open air filter or exhaust is illegal as well so dont bring that crap into it.

A 5mm spacer will NOT leave a LOT less thread for wheel nuts. It take a way a little but no where near to put enough pressure on the wheel studs to shear off. And if you have the wheel nuts tensioned up how the hell are they supposed to get loose?

And BTW all you have to do is go down to QR to see how many ppl ARE actually using small spacers safely. They are racecars but they are also street driven. And for them to do hard track using stiff suspension, semis all day without have wheel nuts falling off or studs shearing off than id say its pretty safe to use on the road

CONSIDERING
    - They are hubcentric
    - They are no more than 5mm
    - Wheel Nuts have been tensioned correctly
    Last edited by macoman69; 11-03-2008 at 08:56 AM.