Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    Member Array

94 Vti-R running cool (not in a good way)

G'day guys.

Im new to these boards. I bought a 1994 Vti-R Integra about 2-3weeks ago and everything is fine except that the temperature gauage seems to spend most of its time down the cold end.

If im driving slowly through traffic it gradually heats up and the needle sits about half way (which is where i thought it was suposed to be) but once i start going a faster for longer stretches the temperature goes back down.

I warm the car up before i use it, and the auto choke is working normally. Im just wondering if its a problem with the Thermostat or if Vti-R's just run cooler in general?

any info would be most appriciated.

Cheers!

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra turbo
    i have the same problem, in my 94 vtir teg aswell
    i fink it mite b the thermostat playing up (i fink thats wat its called)

Winner! Array
    Car:
    dc2
    if its anywhere between 1/4 to 1/3 that should be alright???

my old teg, used to be really tempermental to the temperature outside. if freewaying and cruising at night on a cool night, it would go nice and cool. on a hot day.. it owud heat up bout halfway.

my current teg... seems to jsut sit round 3/8s just off centre.
    when do we hit vtec?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Check the temp outside. It's winter!! (well second say of spring)! so it's cold. When you are travelling at a speed (say 80 in 5th) you are doing about 3000RPM which isn't that much. You have heaps of cold air coming into the engine bay at that speed cooling the whole lot down.

If the thermostat was playing up , the needle wouldn't ever reach halfway.

I have a DC2R (2000 model) and the temp on it sits a about 3/8's as well... But I do the Hume Hwy (Canberra to Syd) run once a month normally and the temp will get down to under 1/4 I'd say...

Like Savant said, Its winter outside, dont take it as much... (just be thankful its not sitting on the OTHER side of that 1/2 way marker )

Quote Originally Posted by Savant
    Check the temp outside. It's winter!! (well second say of spring)! so it's cold. When you are travelling at a speed (say 80 in 5th) you are doing about 3000RPM which isn't that much. You have heaps of cold air coming into the engine bay at that speed cooling the whole lot down.

If the thermostat was playing up , the needle wouldn't ever reach halfway.
    what savant said :P

when you stop and start the engine heats up becasue the radiator isnt getting air blown into it to cool the water/engine etc...
    when you drive long stretches and faster nore air flow cools the engine'

my temp guage never really gets over a 1/3 even in traffic its mostly down at zero :P

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    The temp gauge should be below halfway most of the time. If the engine is getting excessively hot when you are in traffic, just check to make sure your thermo fan is working properly.
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2r
    when warm...mine sits at 3/8 of the way....
    anything below 1/8 ...VTEC wont kick in....
    well in my R anyways =)..

Member Array
    Cheers for the replies guys.

Everything you've said makes sense. i.e travel faster more air gets in, cools down the engine etc (i did think of tha )

What concerns me is the sometimes lack of power ... when the needle is about half way after a bit of city driving the car seems to pull alot harder. When its "cool" it just doesnt seem as powerful, its as if the V-tec does nothing...

I could be completely tripping, and im glad to hear that they do generally run fairly cool. Its just every other car ive had/driven just goes to about halfway and stays there.... i guess it'll just take some getting used to.
    Last edited by Stabo; 02-09-2004 at 09:03 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Stabo,

Just last night i replaced my Thermostat. And guess what? now my temp is constant at about 40%. Doesnt move up or down when warmed up. The thermostat's job is to keep it at constant temperature which is the VTiR's recommended operating temp. I also have a 1995 VTiR integra. Had this problem for about a month. I only just bought it a month ago also. Trust me, replce the thermostat and it will go back to normal. It shouldnt move, maybe 1mm either way and thats it. Took me about 30 min to replace...but 1 and a half hours to take one bolt off the thermostat housing...i dont have proper tools...

Member Array
    g3vtir,

cheers mate, thats exactly what i needed to hear, lol

I'll look into replacing it as soon as possible (hopefully tomorrow)
    btw how much did it cost to buy a new one?

Thanks again!

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Stabo,

I bought it from a Japanese Auto parts for $24...Auto One sells it for $24 also, Repco is about $26. You can also buy the gasket for it or just re-use the old one if it is still in a good condition. I know its better to buy new gaskets. I think its only about $5 anyways.

Yeah apparently when the thermostat goes bad and its always on cold, the car is always in warm up mode, which means its running rich, and also Vtec would sometimes not engage.