Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    Hey Stabo, it is posible that your thermostat is a bit sticky in the open state, this will cause the temp to drop as you cruise, your temp should be stable and not fluctuate in this weather. its normal for you car to be underpowered if the engine is to cold as Vtec will not kick in as some one mentioned above. I recommend a genuine thermostat and replace the oring, use genuine coolant as well. if you are going to do it your self, you must crack open the cooling system bleed nipple when filling it up with coolant as you dont want any air pockets in you engine.

Member Array
    ECU man,

Cheers for the info, i might just get it done by a mechanic instead of doing it myself. I dont really want to take any risks. I doubt it'll cost all the much :/

Thanks to all who have replied, i'll let you know how it pans out.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    yep, its the thermostat, i had exactly the same problem on my old 94 vtir just after I bought it, it is a common problem. Honda fixed it for me.

Member Array
    Car:
    '94 VTiR Teg
    im glad i read this thread, im having the same problem.

except i think its worse in my case!.. the temperature has never gone above a quarter.. and when cruizing at 100km/ph, it actually drops under the cold line.. and vtec will not engage.

new thermostat here i come

Member Array
    haha looks like it really is a fairly common problem.

Perhaps its worth mentioning it in one of the sticky technical threads?

Newcomer Array
    It's better that you got onto these problems before the peak of summer, because with faulty thermostats there is always the flip side of the coin for being excessively cold...

Member Array
    Car:
    slow taxi
    mmm looks like i'm not alone here.

g3vtir - did you do the job yoruself? sounds like you did. Would it be too troublesome or require some expertise??

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    linkorr,

Yeah i did it myself...overall it should only take about 30min...but you gotta wait till your engine is cold.

Na no expertise needed. Here is what you should do.

1. take intake pipe off
    2. follow the lower radiator hose to where it connects, thats the thermostat housing.
    3. remove the sensor and ground wire attached to the housing.
    4. There are two bolts to remove. Now the top one is easy to get, but the bottom one is hard. This took me about 1.5 hours to get out. I tried everything to get it out. I didnt have proper tools so it was hard. You need something that bends. Like a socket wrench with a bend on it coz the started motor gets in the way.
    5. After you remove the two bolts, take the housing off, then pull out the thermostat. Put the new one back in. Dont forget to replce the gasket.
    6. Put everything back in and replace the coolant lost in the process.

Does that kinda explain what i did?

Quote Originally Posted by g3vtir
    Stabo,

Just last night i replaced my Thermostat. And guess what? now my temp is constant at about 40%. Doesnt move up or down when warmed up. The thermostat's job is to keep it at constant temperature which is the VTiR's recommended operating temp. I also have a 1995 VTiR integra. Had this problem for about a month. I only just bought it a month ago also. Trust me, replce the thermostat and it will go back to normal. It shouldnt move, maybe 1mm either way and thats it. Took me about 30 min to replace...but 1 and a half hours to take one bolt off the thermostat housing...i dont have proper tools...
    correct, your thermostat is stuck permanently open position, its a common problem on tegs, (happened to me) replace it and revel in the glory of having a temp gauge that sits 1/3 of the way on the gauge

Member Array
    Car:
    '96 Integra VTiR
    a bit late, but i had exactly the same problem as well, 1/4 temp in solw areas, but on the freeway down to as low as it could go.

Thermostat replaced by Honda = all good.
    ALL WITCHES' HATS MUST DIE!!!!!

Member Array
    haha there is gonna be an Australia wide shortage of Honda Thermostats

Just got mined fixed too, the mechanic said it was "bent and mangled" hahaha.

so yeh now the temp sits at about 40% and the car runs AWESOME! Its like a whole different car. (just took it from a little thrash in the hills)

Thanks to everyone who replied!
    ~Stabo

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Stabo,

So you got it done today as we were talking about it? Gee eager beaver.. hehe

it feels better now aye that you know its all good!!!